FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pic of canards on new nose

Post Thanks / Like

Pic of canards on new nose

Does anyone have pictures of canards installed on the new 818 nose? I'm trying to install mine and they don't seem to fit the body. I'm wondering if the sides of the old nose shape is different from the new one and the canards I have are for the old nose.

Thanks

Skip

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. No response on this so maybe this has not been a popular option.

I called FFR and asked if there was a different version of the canards for the old nose vs the new nose and was told there is only one that is supposed to fit both.

A couple of questions:

Has anyone installed these on the new nose?

For those that have installed them (on old or new), did they just fit or did you have to make any modifications to the nose or the canards themselves?

How well did the fit the curvature of the body?

Thanks

Skip

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I saw them on the wind tunnel test 818R. Look at the photos section on FFR's website.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know how much of a mismatch you have, but I've had issues with canards that were supposed to work on my STi. I would guess you tweak or force them a bit and pop-rivet them on. Perhaps call FFR and ask for ideal positioning/locating dimensions? Surely they have been made to go in specific spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    new nose with canards.JPG

I found this photo in FFR's gallery. Hope it was OK to copy and post here.

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, thanks. I found the wind tunnel test pic and it is positioned like in the pic above. This is different from how it was positioned on the old nose. I'll check this position when I get home this weekend. If I recall, I had a quarter inch to half inch gap when positioned like this. I'll check again to see what I can make of it. I might need to apply pressure and see how much I can get it to flex.

Skip

Post Thanks / Like
    That's how it pretty much looks like on the old front end too. The main difference that I can see is the tab is missing that tucks under the fender. I wonder if I can cut the tab away and install the old canards on my new nose. Really sucks that they don't fit and were only used for a few hundred miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a link to the gray R photo gallery. Offers a few different angles in high resolution:

http://www.factoryfive.com/galleries...with-new-nose/

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are two different versions of the canards, one for the old nose and one for the new one, you can email me a picture of the ones you have and I should be able to tell which ones they are. just email jim-at-factoryfive-dotcom
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I called FFR and asked about the canards for the old nose vs the new nose. I was told there was only one set of canards and they are supposed to fit both old and new nose. There is no way, but that was what I was told so I cut the ones I have (have to be for the old nose) to try to make them fit, but they really look like crap.

Skip

Post Thanks / Like
    Any pictures of what you did?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures attached.

I trimmed the front (wide) part of the canards to somewhat fit the contour of the nose. This required cutting the front lower section that attaches to the body and provides strength and support. I added a strut to support it. The rear section does not meet up with the lip of the fender so it is just hanging in space.

I wish they had told me there were different versions so I could have just returned them and got the correct ones.

IMG_2147.JPGIMG_2146.JPG

Skip
    Last edited by lclevert; 01-30-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So this is interesting to me. I believe they did not update the canards for the new nose. I ordered the canards with my initial kit purchase, which had the old nose. When I got the new nose, I also got a pair of new canards, assuming they would have to be different. I actually picked up the new nose kit from the factory when I picked up my trailer, and Tony himself grabbed a new pair of canards for me. I was surprised when I got home to find that they looked identical. Not complaining - I know I can probably sell one of the pairs anytime. I haven't test fit them yet, though.

In FFR's pictures, it looks like they mounted them lower than you mounted yours. Hard to tell, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zach,

Jim above states that there are 2 versions of the canards. Test fit yours to see if they fit the contour of your new nose. If they do, you should be good to go. If not, I would contact Jim and get them exchanged for the new ones.

If you do have two sets of new canards, let me know and I may buy your extra set. I'm not happy about the way mine fit.

Looking at the picture of the grey car above, those canards are mounted on top of the cutout for the "air duct", which is smooth. Mine (the old version) had a lip on the bottom that presumably fits into the top of that "air duct" cutout.

If you have the old one, you will see what I mean immediately.

Skip
    Last edited by lclevert; 01-31-2017 at 07:53 AM.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Skip,

Shoot me an email and I will take care of you on the new ones, if someone told you the wrong info that's our fault not yours.

Zach,

Same for you, we can switch yours out if they are the old ones. We are still making both designs due to having both noses out there so it could very well be you got a brand new set of the old design off the shelf.

email is jim-at-factoryfive-dotcom
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be interested in purchasing any canards for the old nose that no one wants. However it would seem FFR will take them back.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    I have them. Hit me up. I want to get the new ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim, I missed your first post above. I'll test fit tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just sent Jim an email hopefully he will swap mine out too. If not Adam (Canadian818) can get mine. And ill just repurchase them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I responded to Jim as well.

Thank you Jim for clearing all this up!

Skip