Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Windshield frame stiffening?

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield frame stiffening?

We all know the frame is pretty flimsy, but being hollow throughout, couldn't we do something about that? Like injecting expanding foam with a long hose or something? And since the steel only goes so far into the frame, could we stick a piece of round stock up to the corners and weld them to the mounting flanges? Obviously the windshield should be attached before doing so, I'd hate to stiffen it to the wrong shape.

It's just that I know I'm going to be yelling at people trying to use the windshield as a grab handle to get in and out, and I'd like to avoid a broken frame or windshield. Thoughts?
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    The solution of filling the vertical tubes is similar to back surgery where the spine is fused. The windshield will be stiffer but not necessarily stronger.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm considering incorporating a grab handle on the dash like early corvettes. A composite of the 1960 and 65 corvette.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    ike injecting expanding foam with a long hose or something?
    What type of foam would stiffen the surround?
    Also many have the windshield glass already on, ideally if there could be a solution that does not require the glass to be off that'd be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    I'm considering incorporating a grab handle on the dash like early corvettes. A composite of the 1960 and 65 corvette.
    The dash is weaker than the whindshield, I guess you'd have to attach the handle to the frame.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I drilled into the windshield frame and inserted a couple roll pins on each side. The lever is so long that without them you can rotate the windshield around those two 1/2 bolts, no matter how long a pipe you use to tighten it. Some sort of irregular surface (grooves?) on the surface would help too but the powder coat makes it easy to slide.

P1130327.JPG
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    The roll pin is a great idea for setting and maintaining the angle of the windshield. It may also contribute to breaking the windshield if someone grabs the windshield to get out of the car.
    The only solutions I can think of would be to cut the windshield frame to reinforce it some how, add a grab bar to the frame and integrate it to the dash, or add a roll cage with the front roll bar behind or incorporated in the windshield frame.
    What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like
    For now I have no passenger seat so no one to grab it. In the future I plan to put a sticker there that says "not a handle" or "no grab", etc.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    NO GRAB. hahahahaha, I know exactly where I'd stick that. lolll

Dan it's a good idea, I think I'll drill holes too and insert some bolts, as tight as possible.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    The roll pin is a great idea for setting and maintaining the angle of the windshield. It may also contribute to breaking the windshield if someone grabs the windshield to get out of the car.
    The only solutions I can think of would be to cut the windshield frame to reinforce it some how, add a grab bar to the frame and integrate it to the dash, or add a roll cage with the front roll bar behind or incorporated in the windshield frame.
    What do you guys think?
    if it breaks it gets replaced for $50 on my insurance no big deal. I had it swing downward twice with riders trying to use it as a handle and it brings the bottom edge into the top of the door
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, I saw your post in the ask a tech sectionhttp://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?24609-818S-windshield-header-construction-top-mounting what do you think of cutting a slot across the width of the windshield with vertical slots to accommodate the insertion of a length of metal that has been drilled and taped for a series of bolts. then inject adhesive into the slot. Next slide the length of metal with the bolts with nuts and washers added into the slot then use the nuts and washers to hold the metal against the inside of the windshield. when the adhesive has cured the windshield can be repaired filling in the slots. A lot of work to do for sure and perhaps a thinner length of metal with rivnuts would be better. just an idea I had . is this overkill? thoughts ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a post from a very knowledgeable guy, Blwalker105, that explores adding strength to the FFR hardtop, but may also apply to the S windshield. Bill explains injecting the windshield A pillars and the resulting rigidity.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-reinforcement
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Flynntuna, holy crap, that's a load of work! Tom Wallace says he used rivets for the FFR soft top... I'll come up with something to attach the bikini to
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 05-28-2017 at 06:03 PM.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, maybe overkill. Perhaps a piece of aluminum or steel 1x2 at each point of attachment would be enough. I just don't trust a rinut in the fiberglass would be enough to hold the top at 70mph.
    Last edited by flynntuna; 05-28-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking 8-10 3/16 pop rivets
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm over thinking this, for what I'm thinking of doing using a top like what is used in the viper, a simple clamp style like what FFR uses will work. The top will overhang the windshield frame and will be clamped to the bottom with a screw type clamp. Something similar around the roll bar should be enough. I think
    Attached Images Attached Images