Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with power door locks. please

Post Thanks / Like

Help with power door locks. please

I found the 2 power door actuators from the donor in my junk box so now I think I should be able to make them work on my 818. The actuators each have 2 male terminals. When I connect power it moves one way, then if I reverse the leads it goes the other way. I don't know the name for that situation but I guess I need a switch with lock/unlock, correct? And, then I need something that would lock/unlock via a keychain remote, but I don't know what it is called. I found complete power window kits online but I don't know the names of the components that I need to make the donor actuators work. Thanks for your help.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete,

I see a couple of different ways you can do this. If you have, or are planning on an alarm system for the car, many of them have provisions for remote door locks built into them. Or a much cheaper solution is to get a remote door lock kit. A lot of them do not include the actuators, which you already have. I have seen the kits on the big A or big E websites as low as $17.00 for the controller, wiring, and two key fobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Sailor. I found a kit just like you described on Amazon for $16.99. I'll post info and photos when I get it working. Since my outside door handles have no key lock I'll devise some sort of manual unlock in case the battery is dead.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    It works! I can lock and unlock the doors with the keychain remote! Thanks DrunkenSailor. I'm not good at electrical stuff so it's a big thrill to me when something works. It took a little trial-and-error until I found the correct wiring, but now I keep locking and unlocking the doors just to hear the click.
    The donor lock actuator is the white plastic thingy on the latch. The lock module is a small black box that could be mounted anywhere but I put mine in front of the brake fluid reservoir.

latch with power actuator.jpglock actuator.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, I'm glad it worked, and wasn't too difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet, I told you you'd figure it out.