BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trunk latch help!

Post Thanks / Like

Question Trunk latch help!

I cannot get the latch and striker to line up properly so the trunk willl close and latch. The head of the striker hits the latch jaw before it tries to engage. It looks like the arc of the lid closing is nowhere near a match to the angle of the latch mount. All those geometry classes have failed me again. This pi is certainly not square!! Please help.
    1478127944965-1215230993.jpg
    1478128099980154068231.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brave Salmon; 11-03-2016 at 09:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a car lift and with the trunk floor out I can stand up with car lifted to see the problem. Being that the trunk deck lid was already painted I found that my striker plate was mounted too low, so I'm cutting the striker arm off to elevate the arm to clear the latch assembly, then weld it back together . It is a very precise fit, I found initially that it seemed a longer striker would work, but I'm back to using the shorter one supplied. The style of 1/4 inch button head bolt to hold the latch assembly together is critical, it has to be the flatter allen head screw ( has a flange) to allow the striker plate to clear the latch when closing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still confused by "to low" my frame of reference is afu because I cannot picture your fix. Can you post or send me pictures?
    Thank you for thd feedback...

Post Thanks / Like
    The body flexes too much across the opening and causes a bit more difficulty on getting the latch to snap shut.
    Several owners have added a piece of square tube across the area to stiffen it up a little.
    DB
    Hemi33

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is picture of latch with angle finder sitting on it. Is this even close to what you guys are seeing? 20161116_102320.jpg