Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Saabaru NA as a donor - adding a turbo?

Post Thanks / Like

Saabaru NA as a donor - adding a turbo?

I might be able to get a Saab 9.2x for a donor, but it's naturally aspirated. I want a turbo. I'm sure I don't need one.

Could I put a turbo on the naturally aspirated engine, without a bunch of grief?
    The car has 140k mi, and is under $4,000. Not wrecked (badly). Clean title, not that I care.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been done there's a section in the NASIOC forum on the subject.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums//

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking at this myself. I decided that for the extra money I'd have to spend on the turbo and parts to make it happy, I'd be better off getting a proper turbo donor (turbo, pipes, fuel pump, wires, ecu at minimum). I would still consider it if the na donor were free, but that's about what it would take for me, personally. YMMV. On the other hand, I'm absolutely sure I want to turbocharge this ride. If you were considering driving it around NA for a while, that could change the calculus, but I'd still expect less performance from a boosted NA than a purpose-built turbo engine. If you aren't looking for all the power, though, might be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like a lot of work and time vs just getting the right donor in the first place.
    Thanks.