FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Infinity box worth it?

Post Thanks / Like

Infinity box worth it?

Why would you go with this over the factory harness? Anyone with one recommend it?

I like the idea of making install easier, but their website / options / products are confusing. If I was just looking for a basic install and push button start, is this overkill?

Post Thanks / Like
    Infinity box seems to be an entire wiring/electrical solution for your car, if youre interested in just a standard install with push button start there are companies out there that make modules that simply replace your ignition like digital guard dawg or keep it clean wiring. I don't have personal experience with any of these products, but I plan to use a simpler solution along the lines of the last two products with the stock harness. Of course I am running a carbureted SBC which is fairly simple from an electrical perspective.

Post Thanks / Like
    this setup is pretty cool. One of the garage car building shows did an episode on this wiring system, and it looked pretty awesome in terms of ease of installation and troubleshooting. The bad part about it is ... do you trust that the support of this product is going to be around when you need it? Are repair parts going to be available down the road? There is a risk of using products like this, especially when basic wiring can be reliable and fixed with supplies you can find anywhere. (most of the time).
    Last edited by Aceflo; 11-09-2016 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Misspelled word

Post Thanks / Like
    This might help but I asked this in the 818 forum last year. I went with the infinity box and have been happy with my choice. While I have no 33 experience I would assume your wiring will be way easier then the Subaru guys making your install 1000x more easy compared to mine.

If it helps any here is the 818 thread --> http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...y-box-worth-it

And here is my wiring experience. Again a lot more complex compared to what I think you 33 guys have so don't let it scare you

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...wiring-harness

Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing that you are building a '33, the wiring should be so simplistic that the Infinity Box might be overkill. Infinity shines when the wiring is more complex IMO.

I rewired my entire '74 Ford Bronco and it was really straight forward for the most part. If you are going with just a plain ole carbureted setup with very few electronics....I personally think that you should spend your hard earned cash elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceflo View Post
    Seeing that you are building a '33, the wiring should be so simplistic that the Infinity Box might be overkill. Infinity shines when the wiring is more complex IMO.

I rewired my entire '74 Ford Bronco and it was really straight forward for the most part. If you are going with just a plain ole carbureted setup with very few electronics....I personally think that you should spend your hard earned cash elsewhere.
    The infinity box is extremely easy and less complex from the user stand point then any other option in my opinion. You literally just plug in each input into your infinity box. You want to install head lights place power to light on wire 1. The switch will then install on wire 1A. No relays no crazy wire diagrams, its all just plug your item your trying to power into wire X and put the switch on wire Z. Their support is very friendly as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay emailed me back, explained a little more and I watched some of the videos. It sounds interesting really. Thanks for the feedback, if it's reasonable I think I might give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is one really bad reason to consider before making the decision. The power the Infinity Wiring system consumes when the vehicle is parked is about 170 ma for two power cells and the master cell. A PCM will use about 35 ma. My roadster measured about 210 ma total with Infinity, PCM, and clock. This drains my battery in about 10 days and will deplete a 48 AH battery (Yellow top Optima) in about six days to the point it won't start the engine. For another $250 Infinity Box sells a power monitor that disconnects the battery when it is about half way discharged, about day six, and you loose the keep alive circuit that keeps PCM memory up and the clock. I don't have the power monitor module so I have to keep my car on a trickle charger. I think if I had known about the large amp draw the Infinity Box has, I would not have bough it. I do enjoy the other benefits such as one button start and the electronic lock the key fob offers. I have had some strange things happen when the batter voltage is too low to start the engine and I either jump started it or put a battery charge on it. Apparently the low voltage scrambles the master cell and causes power cell output to become erratic such as head lights flash instead of the turn signals or the head light come on and will not turn off. Disconnecting the battery momentarily causes the master cell to reboot and fixes the problems.

I'm not sure the Infinity Box reduced the wiring effort but it certainly didn't add any.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you do the Infinity box, add the InReserve solenoid to avoid the battery drain that 2bking mentioned.

Or get a lithium battery that you can shut down remotely with your cell phone app.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm currently installing the Infinity Box in my 33 Hot Rod. Two problems I have encountered is you cannot put 2 modules under the dash if you are running AC, have to install in trunk along with the third one, also you have to get longer cables if you put all modules in trunk.

Infinity box has been extremely helpful especially a neophyte like me. It takes time to wrap your head around the dynamics how it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've looked into infinity box stuff a lot, and I am still bent set on using it.....

And interesting read I found that explains there's issues with the mastercell and voltage drainage in the wrong direction if you use led switches and what not
    http://slc-wiki.squarespace.com/usin...h-infinitybox/

It seems to be a great option for ease of installation
    As well as a simplifying process for complex designs.
    If you diodes for led switches to insure you don't damage the mastercells it should be fine.

But as 2bking stated, with a large resting amp draw, if you don't daily drive the car, it might be better to just have an entire system shut off switch or the inreserve to save your battery