Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: dash install

Post Thanks / Like

dash install

What is everyone doing to secure the front edge of there dash buy the windshield so it does not bounce around and rattle. I was going to put a strip of foan tape between the dash and the windshield frame and some bulb seal along the edge where it meets the glass as a filler/sealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Using 3M industrial velcro.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-3M-Dual-L...UAAOSwKOJYJGYU

I bought something like 3 meters, the above link is just a glimpse but not a roll.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I put vinyl edge on the fiberglass dash (original unpadded dash) and went up from underneath and forced in 1/2 thick foam rubber. Works great, no movement, dash is easily removed
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I took some 1" wide 3M VHB tape, cut it into three squares that were about 1" square, then placed one in the middle of the dash, and one out on each edge/side. I actually placed them on the windshield where the dash rests on. Then I put the dash in and pressed down. I've had the dash out twice since doing this and it worked perfectly. It holds it enough to keep it from rattling, but it lets go when you pull up and out and need to remove the dash. No rattles. Very secure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I please get a couple measurements from someone with the dash installed? I'm far from having enough built to locate where the dash will actually sit, and I'm thinking about ideas for mounting my Haltech dash, etc. I don't need super accurate dim's, but would like to get a feel for it. Thanks!
    From about the center of the steering column: Top Edge of the Dash-Cluster-Hump to Roll Bar, and Floor Panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lumpy, if you would like to try what Hindsight recommended, I have 1" VHB. I can mail you a strip if you don't have any. I think HD carries 3/4". Let me know.