Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tonneau Cover

Post Thanks / Like

Tonneau Cover

Anybody built a tonneau type cover for the cab when running as a roadster. Would be nice to be able to cover the cab/interior when parked at a show or while trailering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had one on a Sunbeam Tiger years ago. Plan to have one made for my 33 when it's done as well. Zipper down the middle so I can open driver side only when its cold outside. You're right, it really helps with keep stuff out of sight when you're not around..

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't seem to generate a lot of excitement on this post but I would definitely like to have a cover so I can trailer the roadster or in case I get caught out somewhere.

Cover-1.jpgCover-2.jpgCover-3.jpgCover-4.jpgCover-5.jpgCover-6.jpgCover-18.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wrp; 03-14-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    WRP, are you making a template to have a cover made? If so how will you attach it to the car snaps or?

Thanks

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have to admit I am kind of Trolling you guys for ideas. I am making a template. One suggestion I have gotten is to velcro the seams for the roll bar, Another was to use canvas vice vinyl. I have six Quik Latch receptacles across the back under the upholstered trim to hold it down. I can certainly anchor the back to them or sandwich the cover between the latch and the trim piece. I could put two mor in each door and 3-4 across the front of the Dash. It would not be hard to fabricate a cover for each quick latch when the cover was not installed. I have also considered latches or snaps. Another thing I am wrestling with is that if I ever choose to do the top, then I would want window openings in the doors.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trolling also, I built a Roadster 14 years ago and putting my "wish list" together for a 33 build. I'm leaning to the convertible top but want to keep an open mind and look at other ideas.

Thanks

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a tonneau cover on our 1956 MGA, its held down by little "lift-a-dot" snaps and has a zipper down the middle of it, made from rubberized canvas. I was waiting to hear what your success was since its a great addition whenever going topless.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we are at a substantial lRger amount of material us weight. Still working around with options. My upholstery guy wants me to use canvas and snape with Velcro seams.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking tonight that I will make a tonneau cover for my 818. One you can drive with it zippered open on drivers side.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of crafting some carbon fiber strips with snaps to cover the exposed snaps when the cover was not installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Well I have to admit I am kind of Trolling you guys for ideas. I am making a template. One suggestion I have gotten is to velcro the seams for the roll bar, Another was to use canvas vice vinyl. I have six Quik Latch receptacles across the back under the upholstered trim to hold it down. I can certainly anchor the back to them or sandwich the cover between the latch and the trim piece. I could put two mor in each door and 3-4 across the front of the Dash. It would not be hard to fabricate a cover for each quick latch when the cover was not installed. I have also considered latches or snaps. Another thing I am wrestling with is that if I ever choose to do the top, then I would want window openings in the doors.
    Wrp,
    You mention quick latch receptacles. Can you please post some pics? I'm trying to avoid the big holes for holding hartop, mounting rear bolster in roadster mode and using tonneau. Help is appreciated, thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    There are variations on the use of the quick latches. Here are a couple of installs on my car. I don't have any without the recess cup

Trunk-20 copy.jpgTrunk-19.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you learned how much fun fitting the stock trunk latch was. I like your solution. Thanks.
    Do you have pics of the bolster solution?
    Last edited by Brave Salmon; 03-21-2017 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Added info

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed mine with the cups on top to give strength to the assembly. I think a much bette33r way may have been to install the cup underneath. I will get around to trying that sometime.

Interior-70.jpgInterior-73.jpgInterior-76.jpgInterior-126.jpgInterior-128.jpg

I have a whole.e set of pictures fixing what happens when you drill a 1 inch hole in the wrong place

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, but I dont understand how the bolster gets removed. The pic with the white foam looks like un-upholstered nolster. Does the vinyl cover the latch buttons or are they exposed on top of finished bolster. Liking what I see do far. Now if we had a way to use similar solution to hold hard top onto front and rear ov body rather than cheezy looking ffr solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, it is a stealth thing. Yes the vinyl covers the release button. I have not tackled the hardtop yet but believe in the quick release. They make several different sizes as well. Had I put the recess cup in the bottom instead of resting it on the top of the hole I think the installation would have been better.

[Bolster-2.jpgBolster-3.jpgBolster-1.jpg