Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Usudno's 4 generation MK IV build

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a little help on my accelerator question and got that all figured out. Today I got my firewall spacer and my left hand threaded jamb nut for the panhard bar from FFR. I plan to mount the battery and layout the wiring harness this afternoon. I may opt to add transmission tunnel vents to get some air moving inside of the foot box areas. Seems like a simple mod that works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its been a while since my last post. Don't fret! I have been steadily working on the car. I have hit a couple of road blocks as of late, but with the help of you guys and some of our great vendors, I have pushed through them.

My most recent problem is with my transmission. Pictured here!
    IMG_2061.JPG

Being a contractor has its benefits when doing a project like this. After all, Don't all contractors run into burned mustangs with a 347 and TKO 500 transmission with under 1300 miles on it! It was a customer of mines car that was involved in a house fire. I purchased the entire car from the insurance company for $1894. A plumber that I work with has purchased the engine from me (will need a bit of work, the fire got to it pretty good before being extiguished) for $625. We had agreed on it before i purchased the car. I orignally doubted the homeowner on the milage but once I got it to my shop and opened it up, this is what I saw.
    IMG_2031.JPG

It looks to be almost new! There is a bit of plastic melted onto the bell housing from drippings from lord knows what and one plug missing as well as the covers are rusted from what I assume is from whatever the fire was put out with. The plug is for the reverse light switch. I plan to grab one from forte or someone that can help with this. I am assuming its similar to pigtail pictured here on the rear of the transmission.
    IMG_2060.JPG

Transmission issues aside. I have figured out my clutch cable issues. A long story short, I was convinced that I was missing the clutch cable spacer, Factory Five sent me one, Then i was convinced something was terribly wrong because it didn't fit. Tony at FFR sent me over revised instructions which showed the cable going directly into the far left corner of the firewall (when standing in front of the car). I responded to him that something didn't add up. My quadrant is attached directly to the pedal. After looking at it, i decided to mount the cable straight to the firewall and sent tony this picture.
    IMG_2029.JPG

Apparently that is all that was needed from the get go. A combination of an out of date portion of the build manual and phone conversations made it a bit more confusing than it needed to be, but all is well now. Factory Fives technicians are great and very helpful.

Next order of business was sending off my T-5 driveshaft for a swap. Dan quickly obliged and my new driveshaft should be here shortly. While waiting on the engine i compiled a list of things that I will need in order to finish it off. My list is as follows, (please feel free to chime in if I am missing anything)

Fuel pump (originally figured on a mechanical pump but i am second guessing this now)
    Pulley setup/water pump (ordered from Mike Everson)
    Alternator (will pick up locally)
    Coolant neck (not sure what is recommended here)
    Fluids (awaiting a recommendation from the engine builder on break in procedures)

The pulleys have been a trial by fire!! I have tried to come up with a simple cost effective solution by going to auto parts stores requesting pulleys. I have even found a 5.0 out of an explorer that i planned on scavenging the pulley setup but to no avail. Every solution i came up with wouldn't work. Next step, buy from a vendor that has probably done the exact same thing that I was trying to do!!

Between getting those things sorted out and my sons first Baseball tournament of the year I have gotten just about all of the aluminum together. Except for that darn drivers foot box. Still waiting on my upper steering shaft. At least the sending unit made it! My battery has been located and loosely mounted. It will have to come out for carpet. I have been cleaning up and getting it ready for cockpit insulation. The plan is to layout the wiring harness this weekend and insulate. Here she is ready for the Engine!!!
    IMG_2014.JPG

Did I mention that I am having a blast building this thing! Next up is figuring out the fuel pump!

Thanks for following along!

Post Thanks / Like
    So back to updating my build thread. My engine made it in friday!!! Still no upper steering shaft tho!!! Anyway, on to the pictures.

IMG_2156.JPG
    Empty space waiting for the motor.

IMG_2153.JPG
    Engine mated to the tko500.

IMG_2168.JPG
    My Father steering it in.

IMG_2171.JPG
    Oh so close!

IMG_2169.JPG
    Making sure there is no interference with the frame to tko fitment.

IMG_2172.JPG
    She's in. Now onto the headers!!!

IMG_2173.JPG
    Passenger side header was a snap.. This drivers side will take a bit of thought. I will have to move my brake reservoir using the included L bracket. That's a simple fix. I'm thinking of pulling the drivers valve cover losening the motor mounts and trying to slide the header in. I'm a bit worried about being able to get to the two rear most bolts. Anyone have any tips on how to get to it??

The goal this week will be to complete the fuel line plumbing, get the cooling system up and running. Go over front and rear suspensions as well as bleed the brakes. I have more help coming this weekend and I'm hoping for a first start! If the steering shaft makes it in, i may take it around the shop yard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so the plan was to get a first start this weekend. I had a busy weekend with a birthday party for my sons best friend Saturday at 1 and a birthday party for one of our neighbors children today at 1. Needless to say it wasn't an optimal weekend to get a first start in. That being said, I had wiring expertise lined up for Saturday as well as another set of hands to help tie up loose ends. We got all of the wiring done, double checked fuel and coolant connections and ran short of time to get the alternator and starter wired up. Today I had mechanical expertise and we got an early start at 6 a.m. By noon we had the starter and alternator wired, fluids in, oil pressure, water temp, and tach temporarily wired in and side pipes temporarily installed (I purchased pipes from a member here and need the proper hardware and gaskets) and low and behold after a stubborn fuel pump finally got going, we had the sweet sound of American muscle! It was a huge milestone and one I will remember forever. Collin and my father were both on hand for the start. I wish Pop could have been there with us but I know he was looking down and smiling! Thanks for all the help you guys provide! I will upload the video tommorow morning!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the first start. Looking forward to the video.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the first start! Great milestone, and I know you must be stoked.

I look forward to seeing the video.

Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress.

Regards,

Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123