BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Modifying Throttle Pedal for Better Heel/Toe

Post Thanks / Like

Modifying Throttle Pedal for Better Heel/Toe

I know there have been some discussions on throttle pedal mounting. The depth of my pedal is perfect, but I'd like to have it a little closer to the brake for easier heel/toe shifting. I really don't want to move the whole pedal assembly and am not sure I could anyway because of room. It looks like there is a crimped on aluminum cover on the pedal. Has anyone found a wider cover or come up with some idea about extending the pedal to the left, while keeping the stock plastic pedal body? This one is from a 2007 WRX. I am attaching a few shots of the situation. Thanks, Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bent mine but mine isn't drive by wire, what I would do is cut a piece of aluminum and bolt it pedal to make it wider and closer to the brake pedal.Pedal Pic 1.JPG

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rob, I have the same DBW pedal. I used some spacer sleeves to move the pedal to the depth I wanted. I'm happy with the proximity to the brake pedal for heel to toe. I think Chad did the same thing with the spacers. However, looking at your pic, it appears to me that you have the same issue I do: Your pedal bracket is bent. Note how your pedal is tweaked to the right (you can most easily see it in the third pic you posted where the drive-by-wire housing for the pedal is pushed off to the right). If you fixed the bend in the bracket, it would move the pedal substantially closer to the brake pedal. Also, you might experiment with the pedal depth a little more too... the closer it is to you, the less you need to worry about moving it to the left.

I see you have a pedal stop which is good.... it could be that the stop is too low, or the bracket got bent before the pedal stop was added. I need to add a stop for mine too. Mounting it to the firewall is ok but if you push hard, you can flex the firewall which will make the stop move. I'm planning on mounting a 1/8" thick steel plate diagonally across the frame bars (using rivet nuts), and have the stop on the steel plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't get a DBW pedal with my donor parts, and I thought about the one I've been using for almost 10 years on my G35- which I love the sensitivity/feel of. $32 on ebay and some easy mounting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I took a closer look. The bracket does appear to be a little bent, moving the pedal to the right and a little tipped to the passenger side. The forces here sure work to twist the bracket that way as designed. There appears to be an option to bend the bracket back, or shim the top bolt under the bracket to counteract the twisting force. Opinions? As for working there, it is really tough to access any of that. I am going to have to install a sky hook from my garage roof to lower myself in. I'm sure that is not news to anyone here on the forum. Another example where 5' 8" and 135 pounds is not the end of the world...

Post Thanks / Like
    " Another example where 5' 8" and 135 pounds is not the end of the world..."

Well that and clearing spider holes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a throttle pedal out of a 04-05 FXT or 04-05 STI DBW.
    I did not like the plastic one. I also had to add a pedal stop.
    I haven't attempted heel-toe driving, so I don't know how that will work in my car.

Bobs_pedal_ stops.jpg pedal.jpg

Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I didn't have a problem rev matching when I have driven your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to bend my pedal back every time I race. I've simply been too lazy to make a stop for it. The issue is the upper portion where the cable goes in hits the FFR frame and stops the pedal, then you can just smash it into the firewall and bend it.

The good news, I've bent it back level with the brake pad about 2 dozen times now without it snapping off. DBW swap very soon.....
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    You can just add something like this to it, or make something. Drill a couple holes, use a washer and a nylock. Just make sure you have some adjustment- too close and it gets scary .

Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya could go the redneck route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most excellent....just like the jet boat I always wanted....wouldn't need to worry about brakes then, either....or shifting.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a bit close!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK...made the mods today. Got to work with Aluminum and rivets. The pedal is much closer, but not too close. I took Chad's advice and left it "adjustable", but it does require disassembly to do. I tried it on the trailer and it seems like it will be really good, while being safe...It was a bit tricky matching the contour of the pedal.

IMG_3001.JPGIMG_3002.JPGIMG_3003.JPGIMG_3005.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how to get the pictures to face the right way. They are correct on my computer. Sorry for the upside down pedals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Rob, that should do the trick.