Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Gen 3 FFR#48 Type 65 Coupe R Build

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I left the NorthEast yesterday afternoon headed to Marks house to beat the snowmageddon 2017! The northeast is scheduled to get 18" of snow today, the day I was supposed to head down... "

Good Call John. Just looked at live feeds. This is awesome. Can't say enough how valuable that feed is and the pictures above. FFR is really getting some great publicity on this. There were a lot of things that steered me away from the GenII. Now I want to build a GenIIIR for sure. Even if I don't race!!

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe build weekend #4 recap

COUPE BUILD WEEKEND #4 RECAP

Nose, doors, and exhaust are installed!

When there is a pending snowstorm in the NorthEast, head to PA early! That is exactly what I did and gave us 2 extra days to work on the car (return was also delayed!) All goals were accomplished for this weekend: nose, doors, exhaust, some aluminum installed. At the end of weekend#4 we are at 15 1/2 days spent building the car. 2 more build weekends left till we are on track March 24-26 @ VIR!

The weekend started off with Mark fitting the nose to the E30 hood hinge by removing material to allow nose to swing up.

Brendan holding up the splitter, the same cut was made to the bottom of the splitter. The cut piece will be reused and be fixed to the chassis later, not moving with the nose when it opens.

and it opens!

Next we focused on welding in the window side nets (required for racing) by having Brendan weld in the necessary brackets.

Window net installed
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like

We also worked on re-assembling the old #48 FFR Challenge car getting it ready for its new owner Mike Forte. It was apart because we were borrowing some parts that were initially back-ordered on the coupe build.

All loaded in the trailer waiting to get delivered to Mike Forte, the new owner!

Back to the nose, splitter installed, along with stay rods reinforcing the splitter.

We fabricated front and rear tow hooks

Mark got creative making a Star Wars like frame mount using gussets for strength

Looking from inside the trunk

rear tow hook

Post Thanks / Like

Mark modified my Cobra exhaust to fit on the Coupe! some nice welds and it looks great on the car.

The car looks super aggressive with most of the aero bits on it.

The rear trunk area will get some more access panels covering the fuel fill area, the carbon fiber vinyl wrap looks splendid and will reduce reflection in the rear hatch once it gets installed.

All put away after the build to make room in the garage for Mark and Brendan’s other customers. The Traveling Builder keeps busy! That green FFR Challenge car is also for sale as a rolling chassis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Recap video:

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    The Gen 3 chassis looks triangular like a real modern day race car chassis.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it will make a great track car in the right hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for posting this, the videos and the pics on johngeorgeracing.com.

My Gen 3 kit arrive in April and I'm sure all of this will helpful in my build (I hope there is a manual by then).

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    John-

The car looks amazing! You must be really excited to get her out on the track.

You, Mark, and Brendan have done some terrific work in a really short time frame. I love the aero bits, and hope they exceed your expectations on the track.

Thanks for the info here, your website, and the video summaries; it has been great following along!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    John, Mark & Gang,

Great work! The car looks fast sitting still. You all have done a ton of work in a short period of time.

Is that a '69 Ford Fairlane in the background?

Look forward to the next build weekend.

Thanks,
    Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Car looks awesome! I really like the hood latch solution. I am a little surprised at the lack of DOM tubing in front of the firewall for the R version. I thought the rules required it from the main down tubes going forward?

Post Thanks / Like
    its a 66
    thanks
    thanks for asking
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    It is going to paint before build weekend #5!!!! Mark and Brendan doing the body work, then Maaco is spraying it.

sanding down the seams

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like John is going for Concourse points with this one should be a step up the blue dip. Just kidding imagine the all white will turn into white stripes before things are finished. Of course John, Mark, and Brendan know for sure.
    Daily Driver 2011 Ford Mustang Convertible
    Donor 1997 Mustang Coupe
    Someday a Type65 Street Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Man the side vent art work looks awesome. JK

Mark the work you guys are doing here is amazing and fast. I cant wait to see video of this thing ripping around VIR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Are you guys doing the bodywork as well?

I thought the plan was to give it a quick white wash and be done with it "because race car".

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    plans changed
    yes we are painting it.
    well let me say we are doing the rough body work key word rough.
    we spent a total of 16 hours fitting the panels nose and filling all the seams.
    Car was supposed to go to MAACO today but they called, and put us back a week.
    so next trip will be all interior work and suspension setup.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    This has been an awesome thread to watch. I am just curious what your opinion is on this kit compared to previous builds. Have there been fewer or more trouble spots compared to the other FFR cars you have built? I know you are building a race car and aesthetic details are not the priority but I would like to know how this went together compared to the others. I also hope you took lots of pictures of the BMW hood release mod. I think that is going to be very popular.

Edit to add: Are there any rear bulkhead requirements you have to deal with to separate the fuel cell from the passenger compartment?
    Last edited by Lostinthewoods; 02-25-2017 at 06:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    here are the rules for the fuel cell as per NASA 2017
    WE will be installing an aluminum cover over the filler neck thus
    making the cell outside of the compartment.
    AS far as body fit
    Doors work the same as before although they were trimmed closer requiring less time to fit.
    door strikers are now adjustable awesome
    nose works the same although the hinge brackets have been reworked and fit in the middle of the adjustment now
    new liner inside the nose is awesome
    the rear of the body now sits on adjustable mounts letting you level the body awesome
    more trunk room Awesome
    more trunk room also means you see some of the raw fiberglass. I dont care for this and will make alum cover plates.
    more interior room around the seat awesome
    ETC.
    hope this helps

15.4 Fuel Cell / Tank
    All fuel cells must be FIA FT3 (or higher) certified.
    A fuel cell is not required, except as specified by class rules.. All vehicles having a fuel cell must comply with
    the rules in this section, even if a fuel cell is not required by the class rules.
    1. There should be a solid bulkhead completely separating the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel cell, filler neck
    hoses, and/or vent lines, from the driver compartment.
    2. The cell must contain a bladder that is FIA FT-3 (or higher) rated.
    3. The cell should be in a container made of at least 0.036-inch steel, 0.059-inch aluminum, or 0.125-
    inch Marlex, fully surrounding the bladder.
    4. Internal foam baffling should be installed, as per FIA FT3-1999 (or higher).
    5. The filler cap, line, vents hoses, etc. should be designed so that no fuel will escape if the car is
    partially or totally inverted.
    6. There should be a small drain hole in the outside box to purge fuel trapped between the bladder and
    the box.
    7. The competitor is responsible for ensuring that the cell, bladder, and components are installed,
    maintained, and replaced per the manufacturer’s instructions and in accordance with applicable
    sections of the CCR.
    8. The bladder has a date of manufacture and serial number. The competitor is responsible to note this
    in the front of the vehicle logbook.
    9. Bladders older than 5 years should not be used.
    10. The competitor is responsible for showing proof of the age of the bladder. It is highly recommended
    that the receipt for the purchase of the bladder (or entire cell) be stored with the Vehicle Logbook.
    15.4.1 Installation
    Reinforcements may be added to aid in the installation of the cell, but they shall not attach to the roll cage.
    Floor structure may be modified to aid in the installation of the cell. Steel location strapping is strongly
    recommended to keep the fuel cell from dislocating in a crash. Installing a fuel cell that hangs significantly close
    to the ground or one that is mounted closest to the rear of the vehicle, even if the installation meets with these
    rules, may be deemed unsafe and therefore excluded from competition.
    15.4.2 Rotary-molded cells
    Rotary-molded cells are not allowed unless the bladder meets the current FIA FT3 specifications and carries the
    current FIA FT3 standard certification mark, label, or stamp. Most or all JAZ and RCI brand cells are examples
    of rotary-molded cells that do not carry such ratings. [Notes: A good fuel cell is made by companies such as
    ATL or Fuel Safe (other than their entry level models), and should cost $600 or more. Beware of inexpensive
    “SCCA APPROVED” cells. While SCCA is a fine organization, the stamp of approval found on some safety
    items may pertain to other forms of racing, and may not be consistent with these rules. Consult an expert
    before purchase.]
    15.4.3 Fuel Cell for Alternative Liquid Fuels
    According to leading manufacturers of fuel cells, there is no problem putting alternative fuels into a fuel cell
    made for gasoline. However, if the cell was previously used for a different fuel, such as gasoline, the bladder
    should be rinsed, and the foam should be changed. The same is true when switching from an alternative fuel
    back to gasoline
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark and I decided to have the next build weekend start March 18, and go on till Thursday March 23 when we have to leave for VIR! The body shop delayed is a little but not a big deal. This updated schedule also reduces my travel back and forth from NH to PA

Cannot wait to see the body painted!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dougherty View Post
    here are the rules for the fuel cell as per NASA 2017
    WE will be installing an aluminum cover over the filler neck thus
    making the cell outside of the compartment.
    AS far as body fit
    Doors work the same as before although they were trimmed closer requiring less time to fit.
    door strikers are now adjustable awesome
    nose works the same although the hinge brackets have been reworked and fit in the middle of the adjustment now
    new liner inside the nose is awesome
    the rear of the body now sits on adjustable mounts letting you level the body awesome
    more trunk room Awesome
    more trunk room also means you see some of the raw fiberglass. I dont care for this and will make alum cover plates.
    more interior room around the seat awesome

ETC.
    hope this helps
    My intent is to build a weekend street/track day toy. The NASA rules may or may not apply but thank you very much for the insight and posting them.

The bolded details are the kind of things that FFR should promote about the new body. I had not seen this information anywhere else. Thank you for taking the time to post!

Post Thanks / Like
    STAY TUNED
    Things are about to get Real again :0 :0
    March 24th is coming fast.
    as many know we just shipped the body off to paint. Middletown PA. MAACO
    I spent 2 days prepping the body for paint, sanding the seams, a little filler, fitting the rear spoiler. etc.
    then we fitted 2 rolling carts to move the body, and nose on , MAACO will hang the rest.
    They are going to paint the body GM arctic white.
    we will receive the body back on the 16th of this month.
    THEN WE FINISH
    John is due to arrive the night of the 17th and we will begin working on the coupe the morning of the 18th.
    John again will be doing the live feed on youtube.
    I will be doing a 1hr. live feed each day on my facebook until the coupe is finished.
    we plan on finishing her by the evening of the 22nd.
    thursday 23rd we load her up and trailer her down to VIR. we will be testing for 3 days march 24,25,26 if everything goes well
    we will be there for all three days. if not so well LESS days.
    IF it is expected to rain we will not be going to VIR. we will instead be doing a local auto x at HERSHEY.
    Wish us luck and stay tuned its about to get busy.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Pics from Middletown Maaco

Post Thanks / Like
    in primer:

Post Thanks / Like
    Build weekend #5 started yesterday and is going till Wednesday night! We are leaving for VIR Thursday morning, so car has to be done!

As usually live streaming build here (no sound, we like music, which YouTube says it's copyright material!) https://www.youtube.com/user/ffr48/live

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night we set the back of the body on the frame! then went to dinner, and Mark couldnt control himself, we came back out after dinner and had to put the nose on

boy does it look great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life."

I think the hardest part for the Dougherty's is working with village idiots like myself. Car stuff is fun... "because race car".

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guys,

Car looks great! Enjoyed watching the build so Thanks!!

Len
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it on the track.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    John-

Car looks fast!! That's good, right?

I have enjoyed watching your progress. Love the aero bits and the beautiful rear wing!

Mark, Brendan, and you have done a super job, and I can't wait to see how she does on the track! Thanks for letting us follow along!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great build..good luck.at the track and which vents did you use on the nose? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that one of those Mtona's?

http://www.johngeorgeracing.com/gall...fdd217f-th.jpg

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    John n Mark,

I noticed in the videos that you have to "spread " the body a little to get down over the door tubes. Do you think that will be ok once the front and rear glass is in?
    Is it only flexing at the sill plate?

Thanks,

B

Post Thanks / Like
    Pics from build weekend #5!! Car is done and we are now at VIR for testing fri-sun
    http://www.johngeorgeracing.com/gall...?/category/394

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, you kind of snuck those behind the wheel vents in on us didn't you? I like them.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, The car looks fabulous! Have a great time on VIR this weekend. Thanks for taking us along on the build, it has been fun to watch. Len
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Car looks great. Have fun with it on the track.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johngeorge View Post
    Pics from build weekend #5!! Car is done and we are now at VIR for testing fri-sun
    http://www.johngeorgeracing.com/gall...?/category/394
    I love that "I SEE WEAKNESS" on the front !

Bob

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast