FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trunk seal?

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Trunk seal?

What are you using for a weatherstrip on trunk? The junk that came with the kit is made for sheet metal pinch weld seams and will not fit a fiberglass lip 3/16 thick like the 33. I need something that fits right and seals right. Cripes, another expense that I shouldn't have to bear.. When will they learn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, as much as I like to gripe about FFR and their sub-standard Chinese accessories, in this case, the trunk seal works just fine on the fiberglass lip. You are correct that this particular bulb seal appears to have been designed for a thinner, steel lip, but once hammered on, it is quite secure and waterproof.
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like

how do you make it stay put?

Quote Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
    Actually, as much as I like to gripe about FFR and their sub-standard Chinese accessories, in this case, the trunk seal works just fine on the fiberglass lip. You are correct that this particular bulb seal appears to have been designed for a thinner, steel lip, but once hammered on, it is quite secure and waterproof.
    Thanks for the feedback, Kraftee, but how do you get it to stay put once you pound it in place? I took a short piece and tried it that way using a small hammer to tap in on. First time I touched it, the piece fell right off. The gap opens so far that there is no grip range left. I wonder if they have changed the stuff since you built yours?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe. I pounded mine on with a hammer and it was VERY secure. Pried it back off to send it to the paint shop. When I get the car back, hopefully the seal will go back on the same way.

ERIC
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."