BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2015 IRS with 15" Wheels - Thank you Gordon!

Post Thanks / Like

2015 IRS with 15" Wheels - Thank you Gordon!

First, a big thank you to Mr. Gordon Levy over at http://levyracing.com/ for making this happen. His countless hours and many designs he went through, all while managing his own customer builds and motors truly shows his dedication to this niche of the hodrod world. For those of you who haven't followed my build, about a year ago I choose to venture down my own path and ordered my roadster with the new 2015 IRS and planned running 15" wheels on the street. This along with the T56 Magnum transmission made for a uniquely challenging build.

After countless designs trying to integrate a parking brake into an area that just wouldn't accept it we finally arrived on the design to incorporate a Kart disk as a pinion brake. This little disk and the spot caliper will sit between the driveshaft and the IRS pumpkin and should be more than sufficient to pass my state inspections. These brakes, along with my front cooling ducts should be a good match for the Hoosier R7's I have mounted to my track tires, while allowing me to run the classic 15" wheels and Billboards (Avon's & Trendware) on the street.

Thank you Gordon for the spindle machine work, brackets, and figuring out how to make all this work:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr Duke I think we are past summer. Just playing around. As a micro business owner I know how hard it is
    to work on extra stuff while still doing normal day to day business.

Looks like I will have to wait to call Mr Levy to find out about the parking brake solution. Also need to wait
    to order custom driveshaft to see what the mount is like and how much distance it takes up.

I would like to thank you and Gordon Levy for pioneering this design. Hopefully he kept good notes so next
    set won't take as long and help payback the R & D.

Cecil
    FFR 8851 LS3 376 with 4L70e auto

Post Thanks / Like
    The park brake is almost worked out, The rotor with sandwich between the drive shaft flange and diff. The drive shaft bolts will hold the rotor in place and the spot caliper will be mounted at about 2 oclock looking back at the diff with the spot caliper mounting bracket bolting to the 1" backbone framework.
    For states that don't have an inspection I have a hydraulic set up that works great.
    Last edited by Gordon Levy; 11-21-2016 at 11:16 PM.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Gord, just got back from FF5 yesterday to place an order for a roadster. I chose the IRS option with 15" wheels; judging by what I've seen you'll have something available for the public by March? thanks for all your efforts to help all of the builders succeed...... ric

Post Thanks / Like
    It's available now

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad that the IRS & 15" wheel problem has been solved. I assume that pin drive wheels won't be possible with this arrangement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pin drive uses the old style IRS. I have had a brake kit for it for 17 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to again give a big thanks to Gordon for all the hard work and multiple variations he went through in putting together the pinion parking brake setup. Here's a picture of my first quick mock up. I have it all mounted now and am awaiting the correct parking brake cable from speedway (Lokar EC-8000TP).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I wanted to again give a big thanks to Gordon for all the hard work and multiple variations he went through in putting together the pinion parking brake setup. Here's a picture of my first quick mock up. I have it all mounted now and am awaiting the correct parking brake cable from speedway (Lokar EC-8000TP).
    Duke,
    Nice update! I'm curious if you have more pics of what Gordon provided for a disk as well as the caliper. This is essentially what I finished building a couple weeks ago for my 15" wheels w/new IRS setup (Link Here). It's looks like about a 1/4" thick disk, is that right? I never thought to mount the caliper from the bottom, but it's really just dependent on where you're putting the brake lever. Are you using the stock location on the passenger side of the tunnel, the top of the tunnel with a Lokar handle, or somewhere else?

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    We actually had the disc made so it would index the drive shaft as it's supposed to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepurz View Post
    Are you using the stock location on the passenger side of the tunnel, the top of the tunnel with a Lokar handle, or somewhere else?

-TJ
    FFR hand lever in the stock location. Drilling through the 2" square tube with the rear pumpkin in place was a bit of a PITA while laying on my back but totally possible. For people doing this in the future I would recommend drilling before installing the rear end. The floating caliper is a really cool design. I will probably run some foam tape though around the forks just in case there ends up being some rattle/noise at idle. It's probably not needed once everything is bolted down though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure the spot caliper is free floating, if not it will not retract properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    FFR hand lever in the stock location. Drilling through the 2" square tube with the rear pumpkin in place was a bit of a PITA while laying on my back but totally possible. For people doing this in the future I would recommend drilling before installing the rear end. The floating caliper is a really cool design. I will probably run some foam tape though around the forks just in case there ends up being some rattle/noise at idle. It's probably not needed once everything is bolted down though.
    The go-cart caliper I picked up is that exact same casting with a floating mount design. Like you I was also extremely curious if it was going to rattle or not and thinking of ways to alleviate. Like Gordon mentioned, I didn't want to close up the tolerances where it didn't float, I just wanted to make it quieter. I think I'm going to leave it for now with the idea that I don't think you'll hear much over the sound of the engine. Only time will tell.... You're way closer to driving than I am though, so you'll find out first.

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Some final shots (minus the driveshaft bolts). Everything works like it should. I ended up making two quick brackets for the cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Duke

I would like to thank you and also Gorden Levy, first for the 15IN wheel brakes and now the parking brake.
    Spoke with Mr Levy yesterday and ordered the parking brake kit.
    Thank you for the pictures of the caliper mounting and the cable routing. Since I am using a driver side lever
    will wait till after I mount the caliper to layout the cable. No time for car but I can order parts.

Cecil
    MKIV 8851 Complete LS3 376/480 4L70e Auto 2015 IRS 15" Wheels Rear Exhaust

Ordered 2/25/16 Delivered 3/26/16 Still building 1/1/22