Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power windows?

Post Thanks / Like

Power windows?

I am looking into some power windows for my 818s for the highway to cut down on turbulence. I was wondering if anyone who has done a 818c or the conversion kit with power windows that can explain the install process and the quality of the mechanism etc. I was wondering if they would even match up with the rag top as I still want to have the convertible option

Any info would be great

Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    I can tell you what the power window add-on for the coupe consists of as my build is a S to C retrofit:
    • new door bars
    • window glass
    • window regulator
    • mount brackets & fittings
    • guide wheels
    • weatherstriping

The door bars have a very different shape than the straight bars provided in the S kit, but the front and rear mounting points are exactly the same, so you should be able to use the same mounting holes in your door skin (if you're already measured and drilled them).

Installing the window regulator is a simple bolt-on affair. The provided brackets are slotted to allow some range of adjustment of the window track. In my installation I actually had to reverse the bracket alignments from what was indicated in the instruction manual to get the (nearly) correct angle of the window to it would align to the coupe body lines.

-showing the door bar with the window regulator & track installed. The guide wheels are small and white held on the top door bar and press the window "out"/guide it when rolling up/down.

The windows are installed with no further supports than the window regulator & track + 2 guide wheels to press "out" from the inside. There is no outer frame provided, and as such without the coupe top the windows will be pretty unsteady in your open top installation. A soft top isn't going to help with any structural support, so I'd be pretty worried about the glass windows never keeping a good alignment/fitment in the first place and then doing a poor job sealing against the soft top.

-the window in a partially up position. It presses against the felt gasket on the edge of the opening to form a seal. There is no real support for the window except this pressing "in", which wouldn't be available without the coupe top.

If, maybe, there were usable "A" and "B" pillars you could make tracks to guide the window and hold it in place, but that would require a huge amount of work, since the windshield frame would have to be heavily modified for your "A" and there really isn't anything there for the "B" pillar.

Hope this information helps, and sorry to be a nay-sayer. Let me know if you need any more info!
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow thanks for the detailed explanation. Now that I see the design I agree that there isn't going to be much support for the glass once it is rolled up. I could potentially fabricate a brace from the roll bar to the window that would provide that support but it wouldn't be very discrete. I guess I am going to look at another option, thanks again for the info as that just saved me the order. If anyone is interested factory five quoted me $695 for just the power window kit.