Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil Leak help..

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Leak help..

Starting building an 818C with kids and going fairly well. First time car experience, so bare with me.

The engine seems to be running well and have a Cobb Accessport to help me monitor some items, but I have an oil leak that accumulates on the top of the engine just on the left side behind alternator. (picture attached)

I have run down the usual suspects according to posts. The oil pressure sensor is completely dry and looks good. The next thought is that it could be the head gasket, but inspection looks okay from what I can tell. While monitoring it, I found that it is dripping from the coolant pipe which is above the engine.(circle in picture attached) This would leave me to believe that it can't be the head gasket.

Before I remove components to get a better visual inspection, does anyone know of any tubing that may carry oil that could leak in this area?
    It is definitely oil and not coolant.

Thanks much!!
    Jensen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, welcome to the forum. What engine are you running (year, model, etc.)? Have you done any modification or maintenance to the engine (taken anything apart up there or changing out any rubber hoses in that area)? Also, under what conditions does the oil leak - idle? revving? driving?

In general, at the top of the engine you'll have the oil galleys so maybe one of those threaded galley plugs became loose? There is also breather barbs at the top of the block to vent oil vapors - one of the rubber hoses may have cracked. For people that swap out their wrx 2.0 for an sti 2.5 block, the sti block has an extra breather barb that needs to be plugged or routed to your vent system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably from some of the PCV valve plumbing, or even from the intake tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check your PCV piping, galley plugs, and if all else fails you can always just clean it all up add some dye to the oil. Turn on a black light, play some techno, and have an oil leak finding rave party!!! woooo lol Napa sells dye at a good price last I checked and it worked well for helping me find leaks over the years.

Post Thanks / Like
    great question, sorry, should have included

I have a 2006 2.5L WRX. I have not done any mods to it, but the block was replaced new prior to my purchase.

It does leak under idle. You have given me some great leads, will chase those down tomorrow. thx!