FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: CA Donor car for sale in NYC

Post Thanks / Like

CA Donor car for sale in NYC

Hello all, I'm a longtime fan of the 818, and in fact was planning to build one for some time using my own track built wrx as a donor. However, I recently moved from the San Francisco area to New York City for work. I am not enjoying the WRX as much as I ought to, and don't have the time/money for the 818 build at the moment. The temptation to just hold on until that day comes is huge, but I have finally decided that the best thing I could do with the car is send it into the hands of another 818 builder, hopefully.

The car is a 2005 Wagon, with approximatley 120,000 miles on the odometer. However, the engine was fully rebuilt in 2013. Here's why. I took the car to my first track day in it at Thunderhill, bone stock with 102k miles on the clock. After a couple of laps (with the dreaded sweeping heavy longitudinal loading that I later learned is responsible for a lot of stock EJ20 failures) the engine seized. After a lot of failure analysis and research, I wanted to rebuild the car to handle some light track duty, but it was still my daily driver, so nothing too brutal.

I worked with Boosted Tuning in Chico, CA, to rebuild and tune the car. As the bearings had been spun in the original engine, every piece that ever had oil circulating in it was replaced, and newly honed shortblock and heads, and new crank were used too. The fueling system was slightly overbuilt with an E85 tune in mind, but I never actually ran any corn juice in it. It makes 300hp and 247tq, as reported by the tuner's road dyno session, and the torque curve is nice and flat. It pulls hard all the way to redline, which is set at 7K, in spite of being built for 8k. The engine was broken in carefully, and run at stock boost for 5,000 miles before it was tuned to 20psi. I've used Rotella T6 and Wix filters exclusively, changed at 3500-4000 mile intervals. Once I moved out east, I have barely driven the car during the winter months, so it has seen only as much salt as a California car that occasionally went to the mountains. I really tried to avoid driving it at all, because I just couldn't bear to subject it to that, and the subway system is pretty damn helpful where that's concerned.

Here's what the build looks like, it's been a few years, but I believe I still have the receipts filed (I'll have to dig those up in a couple days, as I'm back in California at the moment for Turkey Day). Overall, I sunk around 14,000 into rebuilding this car, I really wanted the best parts and most reliable build possible. The internal build was directly lifted from the builder's track car, which was tuned to between 365-400hp, and frequently tracked without issue.

Freshly honed stock EJ205 block
    Wiseco 92mm forged pistons
    OEM rods
    ARP rod bolts
    New OEM crankshaft
    King race bearings
    ARP head studs
    STI camshafts
    Crower valve springs and titanium retainers
    Rebuilt OEM heads
    Motive composite TGV deletes
    STI oil pan and windage tray
    Killerb oil pickup
    Killerb radiator shroud
    Group N motor mounts
    Group N transmission mounts
    Whiteline steering rack bushings
    TiC rear diff bushings and outrigger bushings
    Giungyumo fender cowl braces
    ACT HDSS clutch, STI sized
    ACT lightweight flywheel
    Blouch 16G XTR (ceramic bearing)
    Process West Topmpount Intercooler
    Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump, E85 ready
    Injector Dynamics ID1000 injectors
    KSTech Short Ram intake (Causes no MAF issues)
    Silicone post MAF hose
    Perrin turbo inlet
    Grimmspeed 3 port boost control solenoid
    XS Catless uppipe with flexible section
    MadDad divorced wastegate downpipe
    Borla hush cat back exhaust

Parts not installed, but included: Crawford Air Oil Separator (used), thermostatically controlled Setrab oil cooler, STI IC spray kit with boost activated switch

IMG_4378.jpeg

There are three issues with the car currently:
    The AC system developed a leak, and is not currently charged
    The clutch has started to slip just a little on WOT approaching redline
    The powersteering pump failed very recently

I'm asking 13,500 for the car as described, and can deliver anywhere within 1500 miles of NYC.

EDIT: I realize I started writing this post in the donor discussion forum, instead of vehicle classifieds. My bad, mods. Feel free to move it to a better home.
    Last edited by Elpulpo; 11-24-2016 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Misfiled

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpulpo View Post
    I am not enjoying the WRX as much as I ought to

just wait until the snow comes brother.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not the snow that gets you, it is the slush. When you are crossing the street with traffic, every so often your foot goes through a layer of ice and soaks your feet. And when it gets cold, the wind cuts through you with 100% humidity. Once you are cold you chill to the bone!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was keeping it positive, once it snows, he will be enjoying the WRX more. but after rereading the post, its not a winter car, so maybe he's better off unloading it.

thanks for the grim reminder though.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 11-23-2016 at 04:23 PM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    God, I wish I could keep it.... The 818 is such an amazing kit. I've tried to rationalize it soooo many ways, but I recently became a homeowner, in a house that's 115 years old no less, so my project bandwidth, and cash even more so, is spoken for. Someday though, someday *shakes fists at sky*

Post Thanks / Like
    New year, same car. Negotiable on price.