Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dual Amber/White LED Replacements Diagram

Post Thanks / Like

Dual Amber/White LED Replacements Diagram

Like many, I too replaced the large FFR front turn signal and accent lights with dual amber and white LEDs, so all 4 can serve as turn signals and accent lights when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem I ran into was turn signals needed to over-ride the accent lights for saftey. So when the turn signals need to blink the white needed to turn off or else it's hard to see the turn signals. The solution was 2 additional relays to interrupt accent lights.

I thought I would share my diagram how I wired them up on a 2003 WRX Sedan. Since the Headlight beam shuts off when the shutter pops on, I also included instructions for that relay as well. If your another year, you may not need it or have slightly different wire colors from the wire harness.

To get lights to function correctly after dieting, I also needed to make 2 splices in the wire harness as shown in the diagram. That's It. I'm not a pro, so look carefully at these connections in case I missed something. I drew these up after I had the headlights installed

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like it will function as expected. I think without time delay relays you're going to quickly flip between white and amber when the flashers are on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had that problem too which is well documented on my build thread. I bought some real switchback lights and cut their switchback drivers (time delay) to re-use soldered along the wires of the new FFR replacement LEDs. Works no issues and saves me of using relays with more complicated wiring. I try to keep my wiring as simple as possible, no exceptions unless it costs really too much to achieve.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021