FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Why?

WHY! Why If FF scan the glass car.Then why not use the numbers from one side and flip them for the other side? I can do this on my C.N.C. wood working program .I know that they are not the same but there must be a way! I asked FF and was told they payed some one to make the car like it is because the real car was like this.I wonder what H. Ford would say .I gave up after that call. They could also use the numbers to cut a plug for the glass car . Then life would be goood. They payed a guy to screw up my car? why?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to digitize cars in order to manufacture transparent bras. in 2001, many parts on Ferraris we easily off by 1/2" or more. Even the mirror posts on the 550 were off by more than 1/2". Point being, it's much more common than most realize and not really a big deal.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    mikeinatlanta, you may be right that asymmetrical bodies are not uncommon. However, whether its a "big deal" is subjective. If you can’t see it and it doesn’t cause fitment issues then maybe it’s not significant. My 33HR body is off more than ½" in areas and that has posed challenges in the construction of my chassis and fitment of my body. It’s hard for me to dismiss this as a non-issue. My warped body has proven to be a big deal to me. Had I known upfront the body was so far off to pose fitment issues I would not have purchased a FFR kit and spent my money on a competitor’s body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 77233349975 View Post
    WHY! Why If FF scan the glass car.Then why not use the numbers from one side and flip them for the other side? I can do this on my C.N.C. wood working program .I know that they are not the same but there must be a way! I asked FF and was told they payed some one to make the car like it is because the real car was like this.I wonder what H. Ford would say .I gave up after that call. They could also use the numbers to cut a plug for the glass car . Then life would be goood. They payed a guy to screw up my car? why?
    I'm all for doing an accurate job of recreating a classic, but, just like the powerplants and many of the other components used in these replicas, why not benefit from modern manufacturing and design tools to improve the quality along the way? I completely agree that not mirroring CAD scan data about the centerline of the car is a missed opportunity. Since 'amateurs' are building these cars, I would think they would take every opportunity they could (within cost) to make the kit building process easier and more enjoyable. A half inch off is nothing if you are just looking at the car (usually) but when you are trying to do a quality job of mounting a body, it is quite annoying, even if it can be dealt with.

I would understand if you had no choice but to shape by hand, but these seem like situations where a decision was made with questionable logic.

Oh well.. Factory Five is still an awesome company with awesome people. With the complete lack of anyone in the market offering anything close to what they offer (quality and price considered), you still have to be impressed. Even in Massachusetts no less.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes it's where you start and then your stuck carrying the problem ad infinitum for life. I just was hoping they wouldn't repeat it with the 818 but I believe they may have based on forum comments. I will surely need to look closely at the gen III TYPE 65. I'm a little bent about crooked glass on the 33, but will be more concerned if the newest body isn't more symmetrical. The idea is to get better at production not just keep repeating the same mold issues.