BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Where is the vintage number?

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the vintage number?

This is probably a stupid question, but where is the vehicle identification number on a first generation GTM?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Vin plate is supplied with the kit. Upon my vehicle inspection, I was told to mount it in plain sight under the front hood. So in an existing car it might be mounted most anywhere but usually in plain sight.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oldchevyguy View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but where is the vehicle identification number on a first generation GTM?
    Are you asking about the Manufacturer Serial number from Factory Five? Is so, I believe that it is supposed to be stamped on the bottom of the drivers side cross bar in the foot box. I've never seen it on my car either.

I need to find it also, in case I need to show the inspector when it goes through inspection.

If someone could post a couple of clear pictures of where it is on their car, it would probably be helpful to a lot of others here.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Heres what I have on my PA title. SW129138PA is in the vehicle identification number box. I dont know if thats a number Pennsylvania gave the last registrant, or something from Factory Five. I am in Florida for a few weeks, and talked the the DMV (not what they call it here). The car is in NY. They gave me a paper to be signed by a police officer to verify the VIN. I want to come back for Christmas time and register the car. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THIS NUMBER IS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what the build manual tell us.

The 2" x 2" frame bar that runs across the dash. Check the left end next to the side bar. I would take a picture of mine to post but it is covered with interior panels and the shop is closed.

But this should give you the best place to look for the manufacturers "serial" number. You will not have a VIN number until the inspection is complete, and your DMV issues it to you. But this frame/serial number identifies the frame/car as what the certificate of origin shows.

Hope this helps.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for replying Stig. BTW, are you the real Stig that appeared on the car show? Anyway, I wont be in NY till next week, so I haven't looked for the tag or stamping you mentioned. My car has already been registered in Pennsylvania, so if it doesn't have a vin tag riveted somewhere, I will have to come up with one. I found blank one's on ebay. Then I can get a NY police officer to inspect it. I probably will have to trailer the chassis to their office so they can just come out and look at it. Im back in Florida around Christmas, so I can then title it (I hope). Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just so you know, here in CA the CHP places the VIN tag and they provide the tag and are required to do the attaching to the vehicle. You may or may not like where they put it, but it is not your call. I specifically told them where NOT to put it because I had left some sheet metal off so they could get the engine number and run it, which is a part of the process here, and guess what? Yep, RIGHT where I told them to not put it. I complained and said "I told you not to place it there as it will be covered with sheet metal". The reply was a very curt "if you choose to cover up the VIN plate you risk having the vehicle towed if an officer pulls you over and cannot see the VIN." That was the end of the discussion. I was literally slapping my forehead as that was my whole point from the beginning! I ended up cutting a window in the sheet metal that had to go over that spot for engine cooling purposes.

Point is that the FFR supplied tag, or one that you buy off of Ebay, will likely not be acceptable by your local law enforcement office, and they probably will have their own standardized plate that must be used.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a photo and a drawing of the chassis number location on the underside of the chassis.
    There will be the 2nd location as previously mentioned on the vertical box section that the door hinge is attached to in the drivers side foot well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser D View Post
    Here is a photo and a drawing of the chassis number location on the underside of the chassis.
    There will be the 2nd location as previously mentioned on the vertical box section that the door hinge is attached to in the drivers side foot well.
    Ok, that's good info. I don't remember seeing the serial number on the bottom bar ahead of the engine bay, when I was drilling holes for the aluminum panels. But I'll double check my picture files for my "chassis build".

I do remember hearing that the serial number was on the drivers side support bar that connects to the 2" x 2" cross bar for the dash area. I'll have to pull the interior panel covers in order to check there.

Thanks for the information!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. I have made a vin tag using the number assigned by Pennsylvania. I had a NY state trooper inspect and verify the number on the car, and sign a Florida document so I can title the car in Florida. I will let you know how I make out in the Florida tag office in a couple weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found mine yesterday. Looks like someone at FF someone bedazzled the serial numbers cause it look like gold with diamonds. Really freaky stuff lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Im back in Florida for the holidays. I went to the "Tag Office" (DMV) Monday. I had no trouble titling the GTM. When the guy entered the VIN PA assigned it, it came out as a 1998 model!?! Were these things even sold in 1998? I think the guy I bought it from must have picked this year because of a Corvette donor model year, even though I was told no complete donor was used. Another thing that was a little odd was when he said I might have to get it weighted because there was no weight on the PA title. I said I thought it would weight 2400 Lbs. His computer terminal found a convertible GTM titles in Florida that weighted 2300, so that's what he put on mine! I think Florida is much easier to title these cars than many other states