Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: new 306 up and running

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

new 306 up and running

My son and I hpoe to buy and build a FFR 289 USRRC kit in sSeptember. And so with the idea of getting our ducks in a row, we're working on the drivetrain. We've got a nice T5 we're rebuilding, picked up an S10 tailpiece, shift rod, and the other bits, along with a NOS Hurst competition plus shifter.

For our motor we've put together a 5.0 HO bored .030 over for a 306 C.I. The short block was put together by a little shop in R.I. that is not a sponsor here so they will go unnamed. Their work however was superb and I would use them again in a heartbeat. ARP bolts, sealed power pistons. An Edelbrock 2221 rolling thunder cam,ford racing roller lifters, and a comp cams timing chain. Topped with Chinese aluminum heads (I know, I know) With 2.02 intakes and 1.64 exhausts, comp cams guide plates, ARP Rocker studs, hell all fasteners are ARP. Scorpion roller rockers, and Edelbrock springs matched to the cam. An Edelbrock performer RPM airgap manifold topped with a Holley Sniper EFI, and BBK headers.

It's been a while since I put a motor together. 40 years to be exact. I have to give credit to Mike Forte besides have his vast array of parts a 15 minute drive from my house, he was an invaluable source of advise, and was patient with me. To top it off mike loaned me a set of FFR j pipes and side pipes to use when we did our break-in on my run stand. The Holley Sniper EFI was amazing ly simple to setup and seems like a good decision as I really want both power and diveabilty.

having said all that if you want to see and hear the motor, which we started for the first time on Saturday. Go to you tube, and search for
    Chuck the snake ford

enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, always an exiting time to fire a new motor. Will look it up. I fired mine up first time two weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the note. I too am building the 289 FIA. There are few of us unfortunately. I expect delivery within the next 10 days. Mike Forte has been a great help to me. As a matter of fact I bought one of his 306 motors. I also have a TKO 600 to put behind that along with the 3 link, 15" pin drive wheels, etc. Would love to know more about what you are planning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice You Tube videos. I'm curious, what oil pan are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's a Moroso road race pan, 7 qts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    17" hallibrand replicas and IRS. The snipèr EFI can pass for a carb, and provides for great driveability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Morose 7 qt road race pan.