Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Updating '66 Mustang with TKO600. Clearance issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Updating '66 Mustang with TKO600. Clearance issue.

I know some of you guys out there will be able to help me with this. My son's '66 Mustang is getting a new TKO 600 to replace a destroyed T5.

I've installed a new Ram Clutch and QuikTime bellhousing and the drive shaft gets a new yolk so the basics of the change-over are covered but the TKO doesn't fit in the tunnel. It is hitting the transmission tunnel gusset(?).

I see two remedies.
    • Cut off the top of, and weld in a new, shallower top for the trans gusset.
    • Or maybe lower the motor with new mounts?

The interior is done with a new console so I don't want to do anything too radical. What options do I have?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Trimming back that gusset is usually the common solution, but you probably will still not have the proper driveline angle. Modern Driveline and American Powertrain offers a low-profile option where they machine the top of the trans and replace the stamped covers with a flat cover and provide more room. They also provide a crossmember that provides for proper driveline angle with a minimum of trimming.

I'm assuming you bought the trans outright from Summit or something? If so, a stock TKO won't have the proper driveline angle without cutting and raising the top of the tunnel. Sorry to say. You might want to check with Modern Driveline or American Powertrain to see if you can send in your new TKO for modification or as an exchange to one of their modified units. Wish I had better news, but the '65-'66 tunnel is the smallest of the vintage Mustangs (though I've even had to raise the tunnel on a '71 Mustang for a TKO install.

HTH...
    Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If I cut the tunnel support, will I get enough clearance? I really don't want to cut the tunnel...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Cutting it out along with lowered engine mounts will help, but I still don't think you'll get the proper driveline angle you need sorry to say Dave...

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes