Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Castor camber tool

Post Thanks / Like

Castor camber tool

What is everyone using to set there castor camber? I was looking to get a simple 150 dollar clamp on to the wheel gauge that you can set up both castor and camber.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made mine.

Use this:
    https://www.amazon.com/AccuRemote-Di...al+angle+gauge

With this home made tool:

The tool is angle bracket that is partially welded together. Long 1/4" screws with rubber vacuum caps on the three ends of the device screw through rivnuts. They are adjustable in this way. To calibrate it, I put the angle gauge on a granite counter top then zero it out. Then I set the tool on the counter right to left and set the angle gauge on top. I adjust the screws until the angle gauge is level on all three axis. Now the "feet" of the gauge are perfect, I put it on the car, secured with bungee.

Camber is easy: Just put the angle gauge on the vertical part of the gauge (after ensuring the bottom of the gauge is level)

Caster: Put a grease plate down on the floor (two floor tiles with grease sandwiched between) under the front tires. Using protractor or other angle gauge, make a line on the floor with tape or coardboard or whatever that is 30 degrees. Turn the steering wheel until the front wheel is sticking 15 degrees outward. Level the home-made wheel gauge, then check the angle from the vertical part (like you are checking camber, but with the wheel turned out 15 degrees), and hit the zero button on the digital angle gauge. Set the angle gauge down and turn the steering wheel 20 degrees the other way so it's turned inward 15 degrees from dead-ahead. Re-level the home made gauge (using a bubble level this time since your digital angle gauge is zeroed out on a non-level setting), then once again check the "camber" of the wheel. The reading is your caster.

I'm at about -0.7 camber and 5.6 degrees of caster.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a Longacre caster/camber gauge and a adapter for the wheel and a home made center frame jig for front/rear toe. Similar to Hindsight self made tool

WP_20160528_18_18_39_Rich.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good quality bubble type gauge suitable for setting up race cars will set you back between $120 & $130 or less if you delete the magnet attachment. I've been using a Rebco gauge for decades now and it works as good as when it was new and never needs batteries. If you want a budget gauge Speedway Motors sells one for $44.99 that has several good reviews. Looks like you could make it work but the Rebco gauge is much easier to set-up and use than a clamp on. Or you can make one like Hindsight did. Also Hidsight has the right method for cheap turn plates. Don't waste your money on expensive turn plates. In fact I sold my fancy turn plates years ago and use something similar to what Hindsight uses. You still have to develop a away to set your wheel at zero (straight ahead) and at 15-degrees that is REPEATABLE or you will be chasing the setting resulting in a poor set-up. On my hot rod I fabricated 15-degree tabs that stay on the car all the time. Makes it very easy at the track. For your car that may not work as we'll due to the fenders.