Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 - Valve Cover seal leak

Post Thanks / Like

818 - Valve Cover seal leak

I did the valve cover seals when the engine was out. New rubber, gray silicone, cleaned surfaces very well, degreased, new screws and screw seals.....and I still have a stinking leak! Pretty much same place I think, right side, low, near belt cover. Drips right down onto hot exhaust pipe....smokey.

I am hoping it is not a different leak, like around a cam pulley shaft. I dont even know if they ever leak here, just pondering the possibilities.

So I am going to give a valve cover seal job a try with engine in 818. I think there is enough room to do it and looks easier than if it were still in WRX. Anybody out there done this seal with engine in car?

I am going to use more silicone this time.....

-Ben

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did head gaskets with the engine in the car so doubt you'll have much of a problem.

Unfortunately, the cam caps/seals, while not quite as common as other leaks, are hardly bullet-proof either.

Low on the front of the motor could also be the oil pump.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are you using silicone on by the way? Nothing on the valve covers should have silicone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read that Subaru says to use Gray Fujibond (some use Permatex Ultra Gray) sealant on the valve covers in certain places indicated in shop manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Very big yes to the silicone on the valve cover gasket. I have done a few without and have regretted it, and after speaking to a subaru technician he said it is indicated in the manual as well.

I also have this very same leak you describe, and I did the valve cover gasket while the motor was in the car but it still leaks. After going through the manual I realized I forgot to put that ultra gray sealant around the end caps on the last cam guide where the seal actually sits. It may not be leaking through the seal but through the end caps that hold the seal in place. Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 7.38.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-02 at 7.38.26 PM.png

Post Thanks / Like
    I always use permatex "right stuff" for everything that needs a good oil seal. Always seem to have the best luck with it over the years

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I took off my valve cover and discovered that I had used Ultra Grey sealant on the ENGINE side of the gasket, but NOT the COVER side! So, I cleaned everything as good as I could, and applied a bead of ultra grey all around the cover, including the spark plug glands. I know some say you shouldnt do this, but I have also read of others who have and had good luck. I hope this solves the problem. It certainly looked like oil was coming from inside valve cover and not cam shaft seals. Fingers crossed, much better than having to replace some of the other potential sources for leaking oil......

Post Thanks / Like
    Still had very slow drip in same spot. I think I may have fouled sealant when mating things together during re-assembly. In any case, I slid a washer under the cover bolt closest to the leak and tightened it a bit tighter. Hoping it may slow it to a stop....

I'll re-do seals again.....still hopeful leak is cover seal and not cam shaft seals. I think since it slowed down I must be on right track.

Oh yeah....took car for first go-kart today. I need a limited slip diff.....

-Ben