Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any interest in a different kind of front splitter?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like

Any interest in a different kind of front splitter?

I'm about 90% decided to build my own front splitter. Unlike the FFR unit, it will be longer, to allow it to protrude further out the front and to allow it to connect up to the frame below the radiator. Also unlike the FFR unit, it will be flat and not have the raised middle section that follows the contour of the lower radiator intake section of the front bumper. It will be about 1/4" thick and will have a rounded front edge. It will be made of carbon fiber over a 6# divinycell foam core - light and strong, and it will be vacuum bagged for best strength, weight, and longevity. It should have a really nice look and finish to it.

Since I'm making one for myself, I was curious to see if others might be interested in one as well? I won't put out a pre-order page until I have the first one made and it turns out to my satisfaction. At that point, if all is good I will post pics. The only issue is that carbon fiber cloth and the right kind of foam for the core are very expensive, not to mention a time consuming build process. I won't be able to make one for less than FFR's unit, though mine will allow for longer stick-out, better frame tie-in, and be flat. I'm guessing it would have to cost between $600 and $1000.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it will be flat, would an Aluminum-Plastic panel work [http://www.laminatorsinc.com/sites/w...on_chart.pdf]?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are talking about Alumacorr, yes it will work and I have looked into it. I know a few racers who use it. It is fairly light (from what I hear) and strong, and somewhat reasonably prices ($130 to $250 per 4x8' sheet depending on your source) but it is ugly and not streamlined, though the latter probably wouldn't amount to much of a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    I'm about 90% decided to build my own front splitter. Unlike the FFR unit, it will be longer, to allow it to protrude further out the front and to allow it to connect up to the frame below the radiator. Also unlike the FFR unit, it will be flat and not have the raised middle section that follows the contour of the lower radiator intake section of the front bumper. It will be about 1/4" thick and will have a rounded front edge. It will be made of carbon fiber over a 6# divinycell foam core - light and strong, and it will be vacuum bagged for best strength, weight, and longevity. It should have a really nice look and finish to it.

Since I'm making one for myself, I was curious to see if others might be interested in one as well? I won't put out a pre-order page until I have the first one made and it turns out to my satisfaction. At that point, if all is good I will post pics. The only issue is that carbon fiber cloth and the right kind of foam for the core are very expensive, not to mention a time consuming build process. I won't be able to make one for less than FFR's unit, though mine will allow for longer stick-out, better frame tie-in, and be flat. I'm guessing it would have to cost between $600 and $1000.
    Not a customer, however, even at grand for a carbon splitter with foam core is dirt cheap. Good luck with the project. You may want to consider using prefabbed sheets modified by you into a splitter. Being made under pressure, it 100% eliminates issues with keeping it flat and bonding to core during your process. Google carbon fiber foam core sheet.

FYI: I'm local and tried to look you up on the vendor list. Maybe a link or what you offer in your sig?
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike, thanks for the suggestion, I will check into it. The only draw-back I could see to that would be shipping charges (to get it to me) for such a large sheet. But I will see what's available.

To answer your question, I don't have any products available right now. I made 20 steering rack mounts a while back out of billet aluminum but they are all sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would potentially be interested, Hindsight. I can't wait to see the final product.
    Frank - Build thread