Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fender/tire clearances up front?

Post Thanks / Like

Fender/tire clearances up front?

Please look at these two pictures. When steering is turned to the left, I have 1" clearance from tire to uca. When turned right, I have 1/4" of clearance. I have gone over the whole enchilada and cannot find any difference regardless of where I measure each sides component parts. Everything is as equal as I can get it with my measuring stick.Both tires and wheels have same offset measured from rotor face to the tire and wheel. Angle of that part of the uca is same both sides. steering rack is centered lock to lock is 3 full turns plus 1" measured on sreering wheel adapter. It has not yet been aligned but I doubt that will make that much difference since it drives straight as it sits.

I will be running bike fenders and they will hit on the passenger side for sure. Have you seen this before and how do I fix it short of welding on a positive steering stop somewhere? Man, I really hate to get into that kind of nonsense.
    20161206_105432.jpg
    20161206_105635.jpg
    As always, thank you all for all your help. Merry Christmas to everyone!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you look at all 4 barrels on the LCA's?
    They don't show in those pics because you are too tight on the shots.
    There is a slight offset on the barrels and they each go a specific way. I would look at those first to see if 1 or more are turned wrong end to the front.
    HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. I just checked them and all four lower barrels are as shown in the book. That is to say the 90 degree side is to the front and rear and the angled sides are to the center of the arrangement.

Tony tells me I should not worry about it and to make rack stops from pvc to limit the turn angle. Anyone have specifics on that little trick? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out "Breeze Automotive", who are vendors on this forum. Part# 21101, Steering Rack Travel Limit Spacer. $9.00 a pair and snap onto the rack under the boot. I'm guessing that their OK for the Hot Rod Rack too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neil,
    I saw those and wondered if they are adjustable at all. I'm thinking not but I may try them once the alignment is done if the pvc solution is too much hassle.