Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 donor withbad motor...

Post Thanks / Like

818 donor withbad motor...

Looking at my options. 2002 wrx about 100k mikes
    Found a donor locally that had a timing belt go bent valves. But the cost is $500. Body panels all look good except for the rear quarter has some rust. Will I get enough usable parts to make this a suitable donor if I buy an ej205 and separate transmission. Not ready for my kit so have plenty of time to sell off parts. Will the short block be usable? Would the broken timing belt have hurt the turbo? Anything else I am not thinking of?

Thank you for any help or advice

Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great deal and you will definitely make back that $500 in selling unneeded parts, and then some. The short block should still be usable but would need to be inspected. The turbo should be fine but at 100k miles, it will have some natural wear so you could either rebuild it or get something new. I also used an 02 wrx donor but I rebuilt the heads and put in a new sti short block.

Post Thanks / Like
    For $500 sounds like a great deal! Even if you just buy a new engine seems like a good deal to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett33 View Post
    Looking at my options. 2002 wrx about 100k mikes
    Found a donor locally that had a timing belt go bent valves. But the cost is $500. Body panels all look good except for the rear quarter has some rust. Will I get enough usable parts to make this a suitable donor if I buy an ej205 and separate transmission. Not ready for my kit so have plenty of time to sell off parts. Will the short block be usable? Would the broken timing belt have hurt the turbo? Anything else I am not thinking of?

Thank you for any help or advice

Brett
    We fixed a engine that had bent valves for a 3-400 hundred dollars.
    16 Valves ,head gaskets set, timing belt water pump kit. Rockauto is your friend.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. 5 speed mt is bad too. But I wanted to make an auto 818 anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will easily get $500 out of it. I bought a wrecked 03 and got just about $1000 and it didn't have bumpers, front fenders, a trunk, two doors, and hood was trashed (hood is aluminum, so it's worth $100-200)

I have a shortblock (had 130k, but still ran like a champ) that I would ship to you for shipping costs. The motor still has crosshatching in it and ran just fine, but the resale for those shortblocks aren't very good for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Aloha818's build thread. I think he's the only one to do an auto so far. He shared lots of info.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    i probably read through his build every other month. I have been a member here a long time I just dont usually post anything but finally looking at a bigger properties and the future wife is tired of me just talking about building a car, so she is behind it.

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like a sweet deal for a donor

Post Thanks / Like
    Both my donors were FXT auto.
    both 04 & 05 4eat available.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    i may take you up on the offer Bob if shipping isnt too bad. there is a 2004 fxt available near me that looks pretty clean listed but with 149000 for $4900. if this wrx person doesn't get back to me i am going to be mad.

Brett