Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Upper transmission shaft at rear will not move

Post Thanks / Like

Upper transmission shaft at rear will not move

I have an 07 5mt trans in my 818R and the upper rear shifter shaft won't rotate up or down to engage gears. The lower shaft will move in and out to the three positions. I read a thread sometime ago that another builder was having the same problem. I checked almost all the forum threads but could not find it. It had to do with some steel balls that fell out or misplaced. The trans has never been opened or worked on. I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction to fix this problem. Thank you, NorCal Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray,

If "The trans has never been opened or worked on", then the solution in that thread may not help you. If I remember correctly, the transmission had been rebuilt, and there was a metal bracket that had been bent slightly. After bending it back, it worked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Twas my trans Ray, I had both problems described. If it hasn't been opened your problem can't be related to any of the issues with mine. My problem related to the interlock shafts and balls didn't allow the shafts to move forward and backwards. Rotation of the shifter shaft is an alignment issue with the selector shaft. The shifter shafts only slide fore and aft to select gears, using the forks to slide the synchro rings. imagine this, 3 shafts, upper, middle lower slide forward on each shaft, 1st, 3rd, 5th depending on the shaft, rearward, 2nd, 4th, reverse, depends on which shaft. The shifter is spring loaded to the center position, this is the center shaft, 2nd, 4th. pull the lever towards you, lower shaft(IIRC) MS addeled brain including documented holes ;-) push away from you rotates selector shaft (sticks out of the transaxle) select upper shaft, forward for 5th, must go through neutral by way of the bent tin dohiggy that was bent once on mine before pulling the gear up front into reverse

the pins and balls are interlocks to make sure that only one shaft can be moved either forward or backwards at a time. If not, it can be in 2 gears at the same time... not good as I can verify
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 12-10-2016 at 09:53 AM.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14