BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Feed Back

Post Thanks / Like

Feed Back

I am a long way from actually working in the areas of concern, but wondering.
    Any conflict from leaning windshield back for the FFR top. I may never put one on and may have to remove the body to do it, but thought leaning the windshield back on initial build may help.
    I am considering FFR 4 tube headers for the Coyote. Any comments on going that route.
    I know some of the other brands look shiner, but with the limited visual, I think I will be happy with the price and looks. Any fitment issues?
    I am building with no heater, add seat heaters and no foot box vents. I am considering the vents, but I keep telling myself, it is a roadster. Looking for pluses and minuses.
    Thanks,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Railroad,

Are you new New Orleans?
    Just wondering because we've got a few folks down here in the Heart of Dixie.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I am a long way from actually working in the areas of concern, but wondering.
    Any conflict from leaning windshield back for the FFR top. I may never put one on and may have to remove the body to do it, but thought leaning the windshield back on initial build may help.
    I am considering FFR 4 tube headers for the Coyote. Any comments on going that route.
    I know some of the other brands look shiner, but with the limited visual, I think I will be happy with the price and looks. Any fitment issues?
    I am building with no heater, add seat heaters and no foot box vents. I am considering the vents, but I keep telling myself, it is a roadster. Looking for pluses and minuses.
    Thanks,

You're going to want to drill the holes in the windscreen support on each side a little bigger than the 1/2" bolt that goes through anyways. You can run it a degree or two more laid back and then still be able to line it up with the soft top at a later date. What you do want to make sure is that the windscreen is mounted so that it is not in tension as the bolts are tightened. Make sure that the arms are parallel to the frame mounts and that you use shims (either body shims or flat washers) to take up the space between the mounting arms and the chassis mounts. Failure to do so may end with a cracked windscreen. Just a word of advise regarding the heater/seat heaters, if you think you may want it/them later do it now. It's no fun tearing stuff apart later to install something that is so easily installed before the body is on.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I understand your question correctly, you want to lean the windshield further back than normal? For what reason? Just for the looks? Several cautions if you move it more than just a couple degrees. (1) The side support arms may not align properly with the body mounts. You drill the hole in the side support arms to match where it's installed. But the arm isn't that wide. (2) Get it too far away from the intended angle and it's not going to confirm to the body properly along the gasket edge. (3) The windshield is already relatively close to your face while sitting in the driver's seat. I wouldn't want it back too much further. (4) If you're average height, you will probably be below the windshield. But if you're a little taller the top of the windshield will be at eye level or you may even be looking over it. Laying it back will reduce the height. Bottom line: Lots of reasons to install it pretty much as designed.

The factory five Coyote straight tube headers are relatively new. Until recently they only had shorty headers and straight tube headers were only available elsewhere. Like GP Headers. I've not seen any builds with the FF headers. I doubt there is much experience with them yet.

I've personally been fine with no space heater and only seat heaters in an open top car. And that's in the pretty cool climate here in Michigan. If it's too cold for the seat heaters to keep us comfortable, I'm not sure how much more a space heater would help. The decided factor I always suggest though is plans for a top. If a top is in your future, then I would suggest a heater and defroster. Makes way more sense then.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the build advise. I have read the same on the windshield. I hope my memory is working good the day I bolt it on. I am definitely going seat heaters. They are in my daily drivers and I have grown fond of them. I am not doing a heater, figuring edwardb knows what he is doing. I was hoping to hear some feed back on the pull to open vents. I have them from the factory in my 66 Mustang, no A/C and like them, but it has a roof and windows.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently the windshield angle is doable without much mod, since it is required for the top install. Maybe the specific angle is for a bench mark for the top fit. Not planning on doing anything custom with the windshield angle. I probably should have been more specific, to accommodate top installation.
    Last edited by Railroad; 12-09-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Apparently the windshield angle is doable without much mod, since it is required for the top install. Maybe the specific angle is for a bench mark for the top fit. Not planning on doing anything custom with the windshield angle. I probably should have been more specific, to accommodate top installation.
    The recommended angle for the windshield with a top is 27 inches from the top rear corner of the door opening to the top screw on the windshield support. I use this angle even though I'm not planning on installing a top.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.