Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Removing the engine and transmission from a 2006 WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Removing the engine and transmission from a 2006 WRX

Getting close to engine/trans removal. The manual shows it coming out the top. Their donor also has no cross bars at the front, I'm guessing because it is an older vehicle. After looking/staring at whats left of my car, I am thinking it would be better to drop the engine and trans out the bottom. The car came with a nifty aluminum skid plate, I was thinking of dropping the engine on that so I could drag it out from under the body while lifting the front end with the engine hoist. I was also thinking of removing the brakes and struts to make the whole thing a little more manageable.

Any one done it this way?

Thanks,

Robert.

2. Likes akhalil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I took one out the bottom and one out the front.

P1040798s.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 12-11-2016 at 07:46 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I would do what's easiest/most straightforward. Disassembling all the suspension from below seems like added work if you could get it on its side. I'm so used to normal pulling/putting that I might not give it a second thought. With no lift, I might be trying to turn it over once engine, tranny and tank are out.
    OTOH, all I've ever done in this regard is pull the body off a VW.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR's recommended method is dropping the engine/trans/suspension but do what is easiest. Also, I wouldn't ruin that aluminum skid plate that would be an item you could easily sell on NASIOC or CL.

Post Thanks / Like
    There were a couple of threads where the front was cut off and the engine removed out the front. IMHO that looks to be the easiest and safest way to get it out for those using their home's garage. In one of these threads it was pointed out that another advantage of doing this is that the car takes less room.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sold my frame for $100 (picked up) to someone online, so I didn't wanna hack up the front end. Do you have an engine stand? For me it was easier to do a traditional engine pull, put it on the stand, then another time pull the tranny.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Overkill for one time use?
    4tuam29.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares about logical thinking like "overkill"? That looks like FUN!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it's out. Dropped it out the bottom. Gravity can be your friend. Realized I have been looking at some much info, confused pulling out of the donor with putting it in the 818. Just as a side note, whoever said it was a good idea to remove the oil filler neck was absolutely correct. Add that to my shopping list.

On to the next best thing!!

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've no idea where you are... but I have several fillers. An old tire is good to keep around for things to land on though I would guess the neck caught on the side of the bay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde's Keeper View Post
    whoever said it was a good idea to remove the oil filler neck was absolutely correct. Add that to my shopping list.
    Perfect excuse to get Craig's filler!

http://zerodecibelmotorsports.com/pr...-tube-and-cap/

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is how I did it and it was super easy. Also made getting the donor stuff easy as well, IMO.

818s 001.jpg