BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newbie Struggles

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Struggles

Guys - Let me start out by saying how much ALL of your input helps out potential "Builders" like
    myself and others. The dedication and commitment that is shown through answering all of our
    "greenhorn" questions, not once, twice or three times, but multiple times in multiple threads asked
    a million different ways, is very appreciated and is proof of the love you have for the journey
    ya'll have embarked on and in many instances completed (maybe several times). I for one want to
    thank you for that continued dedication and commitment. You are inspirations in your commitment.

I have been flirting with the idea of building a 33' for several months now and building or
    restoring a vehicle since I was a kid. Many of you have already offered some good input on some of
    the threads...thank you. I am not a gear head. I haven't spent the majority of my life banging my
    head on the undersides of hoods or busting my knuckles in confined engine compartments. Yet I have
    always had real appreciation for those that could look at a car driving down the road and tell what
    make it was, or could reel off every engine in any vehicle ever made, as growing up I wanted to be
    that guy. When I was much younger, I worked as and Auto Body Tech for a short period of time as
    a profession. After that I strayed from the Automotive Industry path in search of a more consistent
    source of income. This led me down the road of the Manufacturing Industry where I have made a good
    living for the last 20+ years forming steel in other ways. I do consider myself to be average (or
    slightly above) in my mechanical inclination. I am very systematic in my approach to things and
    follow instructions extremely well (I like having a manual). I am at a point in my life where I find myself in search of a
    project. Not a weekend project, not a honey-do, not building a shelf, but something something that
    will provide me with hours of enjoyment, challenges me at moments, and yes, even frustrates me at
    times, but when done will give me that prideful sense of completion and a beautiful ride. I believe
    the FFR 33' may fit the bill. I have had the opportunity to spend many hours reading through 100's
    of post and trying to absorb as much as I possibly can as I prepare to take the plunge. Some of
    you have even opened your shop up to me (thanks Don). I have even downloaded the manual and read
    through it several times. Based on my knowledge and recognizing my limitations and skill, I want to
    try to keep the build as simple as possible. This is what I have come up with so far...

Ford 302 Carb (or EFi, still deciding) - Crated, turnkey
    AOD Transmission - Crated, turnkey
    Electric Power Assist Steering - FFR
    3 Link Rear Suspension - FFR
    Big & Tall Guy Seats - FFR
    Autometer Gauge Set - FFR
    Tilt Steering Column - FFR
    A/C, Heater. Defrost Kit - FFR
    Removeable Hard Top - FFR
    Power Windows & Door Handles for Removeable Top - FFR
    Moser 8.8” 3-Link Solid Axle Rear End Housing, 3.55 Gears w/5-lug Axles, Standard Width - FFR
    12.88” Front Wilwood Brakes, Black Calipers, Drilled & Slotted - FFR
    12.19” Rear Wilwood Brakes, Black Calipers, Drilled & Slotted - FFR

My thinking is that the FFR kit offers me the best opportunity for success & completion. After
    reading through some post, I understand the manual itself has some limitations, but I have also
    decided to do the Build School too (as I mentioned, I want to take every opportunity to make this a
    successful build). This is also my reasoning for the 302/AOD drop-ins, opposed to trying to swallow
    an engine build as well. I still have a little trepidation as I read through some post and see some
    have deleted items from their order to go with better options, stories of frame interference,
    sequencing of the build, when do you put the body on, what can be done without the body, should the
    car be completely mocked up before painting, when should I rivet vs. temporarily attaching...the
    list goes on and on. Now I must mention, none of this truely frightens me away from moving forward,
    but I can only imagine some of those issues that have come up during your builds would have not been
    recognized by a newbie like myself until hours of time, damaged parts and possibly money were
    invested into items that might now need to be fixed, repaired or replaced. I know, I know...that's
    all part of the build, right? It's just a very large investment and one that, at least financially
    speaking, will probably never be worth more than it is the day I order it. Thanks for being a
    sounding board and letting me throw out my thoughts. I would invite any input, feedback or
    criticisms and hope that, as many of you already have, someday a newbie like myself will read
    this and know that everyone of us, at some point during a build, struggles with decisions like this.

Thanks again.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't let us scare you off. The build your specifying should be a very rewarding project. Keep in mind that this Forum is a relatively small cross section when you consider that around 1,000 33's have been sold. Many of the members have built multiple cars and just want to approach perfection in whatever capacity that may exist. The FFR kits are probably the best bang for the buck in the industry, but, with that comes compromise and sometimes you will just plain set a piece aside and go find something else to use or a different method of assembly.
    For example I may not get the 3 link based on your other choices, but its the most configurable as long as you have Moser include the 4 point bushings on the pumpkin. Certainly the Moser rear is stronger than the FFR 3 link so your homework is effective.
    There are some common issues that this forum will alert you to before you run into them. Always call FFR if you have a question.
    I haven't found anything that's irreversible...yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jop33,
    It took me 3 years to build mine. Crate motor but with some custom touches. I did every single thing myself except spray the satin black paint (I would have but without a booth the finish is unacceptable). I have basic handy man type skills like yourself. I love driving the car now but I loved building it more.... For what its worth here's my
    tidbits of advice:

1-Take your time and don't put a "I have to get this done by this time" mentality to it. Do it right the first time. When in doubt or frustrated - take a break, put the tools down and come back to it tomorrow or next week. It may take longer but will save $$ from screwing something up.

2-Plan before you start each step. I spent more time staring and thinking sometimes than actually doing. I would go to bed early so I could lay in bed in peace and quiet think about what I was going to do next - how I was going to do it and what tools/parts I needed. Sounds weird - but you'll be there if not already.

3-Body work.... body work.... body work.... WOW did I spend hours fitting, sanding, priming multiple times. It is the most time consuming part and also the most cost saving as manhours nowadays is $$$.

My build thread on the "other site": http://www.ffcars.com/forums/120-fac...-silent-t.html

The bottom line on may car was 42K -
    I have many options like Wilwoods all around, 3K in wheels, boyd tank, power steering, LS3 crate motor with Keisler 5 speed and hydraulic clutch, QA1's, custom gauges....
    and I would do it all over again - and just might....

Post Thanks / Like
    The best built, best looking hot rod may not be the best to drive. If you're not happy behind the wheel of a car that you built the joy of ownership will soon be gone. I would urge you to drive any car that you're going to build or not before you commit to buying it.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    JOP33, your list of equipment above sounds like a good complement of parts you should be happy with. I see you're still trying to decide between a carb and EFI. If you've never played with carburetors you may want to go the EFI route -- the aftermarket type that is self tuning. One less thing to mess with and it will start, idle, and run good regardless of weather or elevation. The first cost of the EFI may seem more than a carb but not really if you have to purchase all the necessary tools and parts to really dial in a carb. I've never had one tuned perfect out of the box and you shouldn't expect to be that lucky. Have fun with your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its absolutely doable, and don't get discouraged by a lot of the build threads. There are a lot of adventurous people on these threads that have customized a lot on these cars and any time you step outside the kit, you will most likely run into trouble just by the nature of it. If you stay a bit conservative (don't try and shoe horn a blown hemi and add an extra door) the build goes pretty well. I just got to go-kart last weekend in about 6 months, and am pushing myself to try and get the rest of it finished by middle of this year (excluding paint!). My main concern was taking my time and losing interest, so pushing myself helped, but never let yourself get stressed out by timeline.

I recommend Rumbles build from the other forum as a good example of how to manage your build, you can find his book (lots of pictures) on amazon

I hope you pull the trigger, these are a blast to build and to drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthTedious View Post
    Its absolutely doable, and don't get discouraged by a lot of the build threads. There are a lot of adventurous people on these threads that have customized a lot on these cars and any time you step outside the kit, you will most likely run into trouble just by the nature of it. If you stay a bit conservative (don't try and shoe horn a blown hemi and add an extra door) the build goes pretty well. I just got to go-kart last weekend in about 6 months, and am pushing myself to try and get the rest of it finished by middle of this year (excluding paint!). My main concern was taking my time and losing interest, so pushing myself helped, but never let yourself get stressed out by timeline.

I recommend Rumbles build from the other forum as a good example of how to manage your build, you can find his book (lots of pictures) on amazon

I hope you pull the trigger, these are a blast to build and to drive.
    Very timely response...Just got off the phone with Dan @ FFR, will arrive early April. Thanks to all that have offered their feedback and input!

Post Thanks / Like
    JOP33,

Looks like we will be building at the same time. My 33 should be ready to ship in the middle of March. Looks like we may only be about 45 miles from each other, and in Texas that is considered just next door.

Tim

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If A Banker Can Get To This Point:

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Then It Is My Opinion That Building A 33 Or MK-4 Will Be A Cake Walk For You!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm picking up my 33 Hr next week ..buying it off a guy who bought his kit 2 yrs ago but can't build it due to medical problems.

I too have been lurking on this forum and reading about everyone's builds. There are times that I get nervous, anxious but I feel like I'm mechanically inclined and just going to take my time.

I will be asking for advice and help .

Thanks in advance for those that end up helping and guiding me in this build journey !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to all 3 of y'all, you will have a great time. JOP33, saw you're up in Haslet, let me know if you're ever down in Houston and you can stop by and see mine.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to all 3 of y'all, you will have a great time. JOP33, saw you're up in Haslet, let me know if you're ever down in Houston and you can stop by and see mine.

Good luck
    DarthTedious...I'm in Houston ..I may have to pick your brain !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cjoliver73 View Post
    DarthTedious...I'm in Houston ..I may have to pick your brain !!!
    Texas representing! Love seeing traffic on the forum too!

Post Thanks / Like
    and when you gettum built you take a little cruise down to "The Grange"...."I hear they have a lot of nice girls out there....a how, how, how, how" ! You guys have so much Texas goin on it just needed a little ZZTop....da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    and when you gettum built you take a little cruise down to "The Grange"...."I hear they have a lot of nice girls out there....a how, how, how, how" ! You guys have so much Texas goin on it just needed a little ZZTop....da Bat
    That's awesome...you just made my day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    It's just a very large investment and one that, at least financially
    speaking, will probably never be worth more than it is the day I order it.
    Take your time and do a good job building it and don't take short cuts. Pay attention to detail, and I am sure it'll never lose value. You'll have a hot rod that catches people's attention and want to come checking it out whenever you drive it.

Post Thanks / Like
    No car is ever that great of an investment if you only look at it from a resale point of view. What you need to do is factor in the large amount of enjoyment and fun that you will have not just once its done, but also during the build... worth every penny!

Just for the record I plan on only allowing ZZ Top to be allowed to play in the hot rod, nothing else is acceptable!

Post Thanks / Like
    No car is ever that great of an investment if you only look at it from a resale point of view. What you need to do is factor in the large amount of enjoyment and fun that you will have not just once its done, but also during the build... worth every penny!

Just for the record I plan on only allowing ZZ Top to be allowed to play in the hot rod, nothing else is acceptable!
    Love the ZZ Top mandate! Yeah, my wife keeps reminding me that I am not buying a car, I am buying the experience!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for this, worth a bump. I just bought the book and will devour it tonight..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    Keep in mind that this Forum is a relatively small cross section when you consider that around 1,000 33's have been sold.
    Just re-reading this thread and noticed erlihemi's quote.. my chassis is literally driving through NJ on it's way to me and it's #997.. so we may have officially crossed the 1,000 mark already.

Anyone here have #1000? It may be on the same Stewart truck!

BTW, you TX boys don't forget San Antonio - if you're ever around give me a shout. I bought this sight-unseen so it would be fun to see a 33 further along in the build
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I received #998 on 4/27 in Nederland, Texas. Looks like we all just missed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I received mine a week after HVaCMan in south Louisiana. I'm 1002. So whoever has 1000 must not be on the forums.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Challenge yourself. Expand your horizons. Build a car. The great thing about the hot rod is that you can get it to go cart and drive it around unfinished as a rat rod with no fenders, hood, roof etc. I miss that part of it. I wish I had room in the garage and the budget to build another one to complement the roadster. The build part is really the most fun I think.