Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ZDB Motorsports Hood Hinges

Post Thanks / Like

ZDB Motorsports Hood Hinges

Working on installing Craig's hood hinges. I'm using 3M 08115 panel bonding adhesive to attach the studs to the hood. Are 4 total studs strong enough while using this panel bonding product? Should I wait until I have 4 more studs delivered to have a total of 8?

Post Thanks / Like
    Came to a conclusion that if I'm questioning it, then I should go ahead and opt for the stronger option. Ordered a few more of the perforated base studs and a fiberglass starter kit to glass over them. This will be my first attempt at fiberglass and another learning opportunity for my 818 build.

Somehow my Mcmaster Carr shopping starts with perforated base studs and $150 later includes weather stripping for our doors and a slew of other neat items. Wish we had a store nearby, but my bank account is happy that we don't.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 8115 to start off the bond in order to align the studs properly and then glass the hell out of it. If you put a lot of 8115 it's probably going to be enough, I think 4 studs are enough, the hood doesn't weight that much. But 4 more can't hurt, man!

I'm interested in your door weather strip, what did you order? Info on your build thread?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Door weather stripping was for the house

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Door weather stripping was for the house
    Oh crap!! lolllll Definately got me on that one.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a bunch of photos of how Bwalker did his setup. He built a plane once and is a bit of a fiberglass pro. When I get time (ha!) I plan to make a writeup of the whole thing.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few teaser pics till Craig gets some time, likely around 2025.

Since the hood is pretty flimsy and light (not a bad thing), I decided to tie Craig's hood mount bracket together with a hard point/reinforcing structure. It is made out of really lightweight foam and I first made about 19 longitudinal slices to allow it to conform to the hood's curve. I then epoxied it to the hood, let it cure, and used a long sanding block to flatten both ends and get them into the same plane. Then I glassed over this to mate it to the hood and provide a rigid base for Craig's hard point mounts.

I originally wanted to do everything in one step, but realized the mounts just sitting on top of bare foam with only fiberglass structure above would not be very strong. Having already glassed over the stiffener, it was now ready to mate to the hard point mounts.

I mounted the hinges and bracket with the hard point mounts installed onto the frame, placed the hood in just the right position, then put epoxy on the back of the mounts and onto the top, flat surfaces of the foam structure. Then I got under the car, pushed the bracket with the mounts into the epoxy and used a bungee cord to keep pressure upwards until the epoxy set up. Be sure to grease anything you don't want epoxy to stick to, like the threads of the hard point mounts. My entire stiffener structure was just a little narrow, so that is why you see the hard point mounts trimmed to conform to the structure's radius.

After the epoxy cured, I then glassed over the mounts and down onto the hood to complete the structure. I had to lightly sand/grind the areas between the threaded portions flat so as to conform to Craig's bracket, but it was not too noteworthy.

8. Thanks Huntman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. There should be a section on the forum for fiberglass mods and such. So much of these good ideas get buried and hard to find later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blwalker105 View Post
    Here are a few teaser pics till Craig gets some time, likely around 2025.
    Sounds about right. I'm working on cutting the cord with my daughter at bed time. You get 30 mins...then i'm leaving. Had to pick her up and carry her back to bed 20+ times last night. She finally got the message though. If I didn't lose 2+ hours a night putting her to bed I'd get a LOT more done.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Sounds about right. I'm working on cutting the cord with my daughter at bed time. You get 30 mins...then i'm leaving. Had to pick her up and carry her back to bed 20+ times last night. She finally got the message though. If I didn't lose 2+ hours a night putting her to bed I'd get a LOT more done.
    Ha ha, Been there done that.
    Funny what comes to mind is a scene in the movie Mommy Dearest , were Joan Crawford is strapping her kids to there beds. It was one of those movies that produced a lot of cliches that have been over used.

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of 'foam' is used as part of adding these hinges to the hood? If there are different densities, what works best?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used balsa. If I were to use foam, I'd use divinycell - five or six pound density. You don't have to use any foam though... you can attach them right to the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Ha ha, Been there done that.
    Funny what comes to mind is a scene in the movie Mommy Dearest , were Joan Crawford is strapping her kids to there beds. It was one of those movies that produced a lot of cliches that have been over used.
    I've gotten it down to two books, a hug and kiss goodnight, and as long as I leave her with another book, the light on, and the door open she'll "read" to herself for 15 mins and then pass out. #winning

Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    I used balsa. If I were to use foam, I'd use divinycell - five or six pound density. You don't have to use any foam though... you can attach them right to the hood.
    Correct. The foam/balsa wood is more of a good/better/best scenario with foam/balsa being the best method, but attaching directly to the hood being the good method. I believe that is how Matteo did his.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports