Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear wing height ?

Post Thanks / Like

Rear wing height ?

For you guys with rear wings, how high are you mounting them in relation to the height of the roll bar? Mine is currently mounted such that the leading edge of the wing is about 2 1/2" below the top of the roll bar. Where should it be mounted to be in clean air and not in air disturbed by the roll bar? Should they be mounted way up high above the roll bar?

Opinions or suggestions?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lclevert View Post
    For you guys with rear wings, how high are you mounting them in relation to the height of the roll bar? Mine is currently mounted such that the leading edge of the wing is about 2 1/2" below the top of the roll bar. Where should it be mounted to be in clean air and not in air disturbed by the roll bar? Should they be mounted way up high above the roll bar?

Opinions or suggestions?

Thanks
    Iclevert
    Here are some videos to help you come to your own conclusions.

I was thinking of moving the wing forward and using my raised roll bar as the pivot point of the wing. I would like to hear some opinions on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 12-06-2016 at 03:06 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    here is another video

818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, for many race organizations the rear wing may not be forward of the centerline of the rear wheels. Also most require the wing to be lower than the highest part of the "roof". There is an exception for Wagons. Since an R has no roof I'm betting you could have a problem if the wing were higher than the roll bar.
    Check the rules with whatever one you may participate in.
    Finally, I'm not sure I'd want to worry about the wing flying around like a sword or chopping down like a guillotine if I ever did rollover.
    From a downforce perspective it is an ideal location though.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Bob, for many race organizations the rear wing may not be forward of the centerline of the rear wheels. Also most require the wing to be lower than the highest part of the "roof". There is an exception for Wagons. Since an R has no roof I'm betting you could have a problem if the wing were higher than the roll bar.
    Check the rules with whatever one you may participate in.
    Finally, I'm not sure I'd want to worry about the wing flying around like a sword or chopping down like a guillotine if I ever did rollover.
    From a downforce perspective it is an ideal location though.
    Thanks Gator, See you this week at PRI.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is the height of the stands (APR GT200 Stands) and is set a 4 degree angle
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob. Looks like the FFR cars are mounted in a similar location, just below the rollbar.

Skip

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is at 5 degrees down. Measured in the center of the wing, factoring in 4 degrees for the Gurney Flap. According to the APR website for the GTC-300 should be generating 289 pounds of downforce at 100 and 419 pounds at 120. Drag is 36 pounds at 100 and 52 pounds at 120 (in clean air, etc. etc.) Mine is about level with the roll bar. Here are some pics. IMG_3018.JPGIMG_3019.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the GT-250 wing that is straight across (same angle across entire wing). The APR site shows this to produce 166 lbs downforce at 120 when set at 5 degrees down. At 10 degrees down it produces 300 lbs downforce at 120. I'm not sure what is supposed to be the optimal range. I believe the FFR guys had their wing set as yours is on one of their test cars.

Skip

Post Thanks / Like
    in our opinion, you don't get that down force unless you get the wing out of the shadow of the role cage, due to the disturbed air off the cage. We have ours 2.5" above the top bar due to our Hump. Mounting it low, below the shadow of the cage would be best, but the two humps in the bodywork don't allow a clear shot for the air to speed under the element. Next build, I want to cut those off and smooth the rear deck, try a lower wing, blah blah