Post Thanks / Like

How much is too much?

Looking at a 415hp 347cu.in. Is that too much
    to get power to the ground? Any tire/wheel
    combo to handle it. I'd like a stick shift but was
    wondering if a six speed would be worth while
    to get some kind of decent mileage out of it. Want
    To drive daily to work and take on the road
    occasionally. Any thoughts or recommendations.

Can instruments be organized centered on the steering
    Wheel leaving room for radio etc in center of panel.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You've Got A Great Brain That God Gave You That Is Hopefully Well Connected To Your Right Foot!
    You will be A-Okay as long as you respect your car and understand that these things are fast.
    Regarding the 6-Speed, I say go for it if you love shifting.
    Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukah!

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-18-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO: If you want that much power in a daily driver 347, you need to be looking at a more modern motor.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    415HP is a start and won't be too much power as long as it's connected to that skinny peddle on the right. If you're looking for good fuel mileage look at a modern fuel injected engine that's designed to provide more efficient operation. The the big overdrive on the 6-speed should also help. Have fun with your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think 551 HP is too much
    I say that because FF says the chassis is good to 500 and I figure they must have at least a 10% safety margin right?
    And my Hemi is supposed to make 550 so that's my story and I'm sticking with it. As Mike mentioned I'm going the
    modern route 3G Hemi and plan to use the brain to foot method also mentioned above by GDG. I also went to great
    lengths to create the right instant center for my ride height and hopefully got the right spring rate and shock rate.

You can get an instrument cluster from several different companies that will put it all behind the wheel if that's the look
    you want and are willing to spend the coin for it.
    HTH
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    To clarify: I'm not saying 415 is too much, I'm saying that a 347 putting out that much isn't an ideal daily driver motor.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    415 hp out of a 347ci? Nope, small blocks should be able to put out 450-475 all day long. Not hard to achieve with cam/head/intake of the right combination.

Post Thanks / Like
    415 hp is not too much to control with a decent set up. 6 spd over 5 spd won't help gas mileage IMO, and the 6 spd is heavier to boot. If you want good gas mileage at that hp level a Coyote engine would be a better option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto the Coyote and the comments about the brain controlling the right foot.

My older (2012) Coyote is bone stock with a mild custom tune for 490 HP on a mustang Dyno. A 5 speed TKO600 with the tallest OD and 331 gears in the Moser rear end give me great gas mileage for "commuting". I can squeeze about five hours out of the OEM Mustang tank that came with the kit. I wouldn't consider a 6 speed for the additional expense and hassle.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 02-11-2017 at 12:09 AM.