Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Race Dash Creation

Post Thanks / Like

Race Dash Creation

OK, the dash that FFR provides (plastic/fiberglass, whatever) is not something that works very well in a race car as it give you zero access to wires/gauges/etc. So I am on a mission to build and new dash, I have seen dashes from Retro and Leo and both look nice with a flat front panel for gauges and switches and then a removable top so you can have access to gauges and wiring, etc. Retro has a hump for the gauges/dash, and Leo's is flat.

I would want some overhang to keep sunlight off dash/gauge area, must be high enough to see with a quick glance

Anyone else have a dash design yet for an R ?
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 12-19-2016 at 02:00 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, I have had my dash FFR out 3-4 times now. I have it bolted in, 2 10/32 bolts up front and 4 10/32 bolts on the 1" cross bar under the dash. I can have it out in less than 5 minutes. Now I don't have my AIM dash attached to the dash. Cobb install.JPG
    Something I thought about as I was thinking about the dash install was cutting a 24" X 12" hole in the top of the dash and making a aluminum panel held down with 4 Dzus Fasteners for easy access. But since the dash comes out so easy decided not too. But I think it would work well if you didn't want to bend up a sheet metal dash.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 12-19-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not using the supplied dash panel either. I'll probably be using an AIM dash, too. All I have in mind is a minimal sun shield and wiring cover, but haven't designed anything yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would using a race display like those from Motec or Race Technology help with that? That is what I envision running in a race car. And with a single cable trunk running to it, wiring should be simplified and requirements to access it minimized, no?

http://www.race-technology.com/uploa...ages/Dash2.jpg

The RacePak and Haltech products even looks like they sort of pseudo-fit in the cluster spot on the FFR dash:

Last edited by Turboguy; 12-21-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the idea. As for wiring, I think it will be smart to have the ability to plug in the OEM dash on a temporary basis if needed - at least for me since I haven't used one of these aftermarket panels before. That's my plan, at least. It's lacking details like what happens with the ECU if the OEM dash is not there, etc....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    That's the idea. As for wiring, I think it will be smart to have the ability to plug in the OEM dash on a temporary basis if needed - at least for me since I haven't used one of these aftermarket panels before. That's my plan, at least. It's lacking details like what happens with the ECU if the OEM dash is not there, etc....

I'm running the IQ3s dash in my 818c and have zero complaints with it. The factory ecu has no clue what cluster I have and I can program the fuel gauge to any sending unit I like as well as a ton of other programmable features.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zach34 you can actually do both at the same time. I had a AIM Pista dash mounted on the steering column in front of my gauge cluster in my LGT race car. It blocked the view of the OEM dash gauges, but they were still operational.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    This coming season, I'm going to mount my S7 phone in the middle of the steering wheel. It communicates 48 kbaud to the ECU.
    It also data logs everything on the screen plus about 20 addition parameter that I selected.
    I have it set up to go to red if the value goes outside the limits I set.
    During driving, I will just glance at it for red boxes. It also sound an alarm when one of the boxes go red. I may have to add some kind of speaker so I can hear it.
    Bob

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 12-24-2016 at 01:51 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, have you thought about using a cheap tablet instead, so you have a bigger view? I am planning on doing that with an Arcflash digital dash (whenever I actually get time to install it)

Post Thanks / Like
    I just removed a Race Technology, Dash2 from an '06 STi. The installer had used spare pins or spare pin holes in the instrument cluster circuit board to link to the Dash2. In removing it, I just clipped the wires and put the cluster back.
    Now, here's where I'm going to possibly sound stupid. I don't know what he was accessing or what is available or what potential data can be pulled off that board. I'm guessing that some were temps and pressure. I am going to make a big, leaping assumption that there is wiring and signals shared in common with the ECM (ECU) and that they might be of value.
    I don't have my cluster out to look at and examine. I can find pin-outs for some dashes on the internet.
    Perhaps the digital dash manufacturers give you all the information about how to do this. I haven't gone down that road yet and tried to connect it. My intent was to use my Dash2 as a stand-alone display in my R.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Bob, have you thought about using a cheap tablet instead, so you have a bigger view? I am planning on doing that with an Arcflash digital dash (whenever I actually get time to install it)
    I have a cheap tablet that I was going to use. But the screen just isn't bright enough to make it sunlight readable.
    The S7 is close to sunlight readable and waterproof. I can switch it for navigation, or even use it as a phone when not on the track.
    Also, no wires needed as it's talking Bluetooth to the SSM adapter.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Bob, great point about visibility. I need to pay close attention to that when I select mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Another great option.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Opinions please, gauges in a pod or gauges in the dash, you can see them easily either way, so more of a aesthetics, or if you don't like the dash also please voice your opinion

20170109_024130000_iOS.jpg 20170109_024133000_iOS.jpg 20170109_024136000_iOS.jpg 20170109_024141000_iOS.jpg 20170109_001517000_iOS.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say whatever keeps them in you peripheral vision easier, so pod?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony,
    I was thinking of mounting my display on the steering column about 1/2 way between the steering wheel and the dash. The display will be partially blocked from sight during turning.
    My eyes would only be glancing for red boxes that indicate the value is out of the legal range I set.
    What do you guys think?

dash_display.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted my traqmate on the tabs right behind the steering wheel. I couldn't reach it when strapped in when it was further away. Something to watch out for..... I need to be able to reach it to start and stop the synched video. Aren't you just really catching a quick peek on a straight somewhere? I can see the tach sweep and alarm beacons out of my peripheral vision all the time. Data/numbers on the straight.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are so many viable options now. Money can get in the way. With "race car" I say there are no rules. I want the RPMs clearly visible. I have used SPA dual digital gauges for a while and like the legibility. They can be programmed to work with some other sensors rather than their own. Other features are:
    • Selectable backlight colour (Red, Green, Blue, Amber, Magenta, Cyan, White, Off)
    • Adjustable backlight brightness
    • Black or white dials
    • Standard Black
    • High resolution modes for 0.1 PSI(BAR), Deg F(C) etc
    • Programmable button function, recall menu etc
    • Splash proof sensor connections
    • Extended temperature operation (for extreme climates) -20 to +70 Deg C
    • Stainless steel pressure and vacuum sensors
    • Programmable warning lights, low battery, averaging etc
    • Programmable backlight flashing as a warning
    • Programmable outputs for driving external LED's or relays
    • Thermocouple options and kits available

Downside is they are pricey. I don't care for the sensor cable connectors and have replaced some with a better, more positive style weatherproof connector.
    I won't be using a Subaru gauge cluster or the FFR dash and if I feel the wheel is in the way I may do a pod on top. I have in mind a singular windscreen anyway. May try and find a screen meant for a motorcycle or scooter. Then my current plan will be to use my Race Technology Dash2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Tony,
    I was thinking of mounting my display on the steering column about 1/2 way between the steering wheel and the dash. The display will be partially blocked from sight during turning.
    My eyes would only be glancing for red boxes that indicate the value is out of the legal range I set.
    What do you guys think?

dash_display.jpg
    Also looked at going this route and using the steering column, still unsure if the tablet will be off to the side as we have it now or in front on the steering column. We will most likely make it switchable so I can use either place
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    We used the bracket off the steering column
    IMG_1240.JPGIMG_1110.JPGIMG_1089.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    You will need a 1000nit sunlight readable display. Otherwise you can't see anything (even with a sunshade). I tried it early on with the 818R, and it was worthless. I had a cheap display in my NP01 (with roof!) with a sunshade and it was still worthless.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    You will need a 1000nit sunlight readable display. Otherwise you can't see anything (even with a sunshade). I tried it early on with the 818R, and it was worthless. I had a cheap display in my NP01 (with roof!) with a sunshade and it was still worthless.
    agree, the screen I will be using is 1000nit which is still questionable but we will see or not
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    interior 2.JPGCobb 2.JPG
    Tony, looks like your solution will work great. I like other have Imounted my dash just in front of the steering wheel and have great visibility. As Rob mentioned I did place my dash within reach to allow me to change the menu.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 01-09-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the extension of our "wind screen" over our dash, we had no issue even when wearing a tinted visor. In our ep cars, we have the same dash, and even with no sunshade, you can see everything perfectly. Now, our digital egt's are another matter all together.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    I'm using my Galaxy S7 which has 855 nit rating when in automatic brightness mode.
    What displays have you guys found that has a better screen and does not cost thousands of dollars?
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 01-09-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about the dash or pod, but I sure like the welding setup in pic 1 !
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    I don't know about the dash or pod, but I sure like the welding setup in pic 1 !
    Agree, there is a plasma cutter also there, a sheet metal brake, English wheel, and soon a stomp sheer (has a hand shear now), so with Tom's talent he can do just about any sheet metal work you need and close to PIR for any emergency repairs.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Dash is pretty much finished, will run 3 gauges on dash, gauge 1- oil temp and oil pressure, gauge 2 (center) Air Fuel Ratio, gauge 3- water temp and fuel pressure, there will be a shift light on dash and the tablet will have all the other info (non important stuff like speed, rpm, etc.). Need to put the windscreen back on also. 2 quick release access panels in to that gets me access to everything

Attachment 63169
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Another new option I'm pretty excited about!

2016-AEM-CD7-copy.png
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    The AEM CD-7 only works with CAN bus. If you have an OEM ECU to get the data off it has to be 2008+ WRX/STI. And I don't think Subaru is even supported yet. If you're using an aftermarket ECU like AEM Infinity - Haltech- Motec you're good.

AIM is still your best option if you want to display or log data off the OEM ECU. AIM used to have a plug and play OBD connector for the Pista/Strada, but I don't think they have it for the MXL2 or other new gen dashes. But that's not a big deal , you just tap the #7 pin - K Line on the OBD connector.
    You can capture off the ECU:
    ECU_1 RPM RPM
    ECU_2 SPEED Vehicle Speed
    ECU_3 TPS Throttle Position Sensor
    ECU_4 ECT Engine coolant temperature
    ECU_5 TURBO_PRESS Turbo pressure
    ECU_6 IN_VVT_R Right bank inlet timing
    ECU_7 IN_VVT_L Left bank inlet timing
    ECU_8 IGN_ADV Ignition advance
    ECU_9 KNOCK_CORR Advances correction depending on detonation sensor
    ECU_10 FUEL_LEV Fuel level
    ECU_11 NEUTRAL Neutral sensor
    ECU_12 CLUTCH Clutch disengaged signal
    ECU_13 BRAKE Brake switch
    ECU_14 ENG_LOAD Instant engine load
    ECU_15 AIR_FLOW Air flow in the air pipes
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 02-22-2017 at 01:59 AM.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using my Galaxy S7 which has 855 nit rating when in automatic brightness mode.
    What displays have you guys found that has a better screen and does not cost thousands of dollars?
    Bob
    I'm going to grab this one. Someone I know has first hand experience and liked it.
    https://www.xenarcdirect.com/702CSH.html
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob
    I am using a protype 7" tablet, it has a 1000 NIT screen made by JDI (Japanese display consortium), there are a few tablets like the Cube T7 that have a similar screen (1000NIT) and are in the $150 range. There are quite a few 1000+nit screens out there.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress