Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is the finish on your F5R hallibrand spinners (knock offs) poorly done?

Post Thanks / Like

Is the finish on your F5R hallibrand spinners (knock offs) poorly done?

So today I got the front suspension hung. When I went to grab a lug to hold on the rotors I looked a little closer at the spinners. The finish on the indented portion of mine is not very nice. It almost looks as if it has overspray on it. I was under the impression that the inside portions were powder coated to match the wheels and the very centers polished. Am I mistaken?? Is this normal? I will snap a picture in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, Normal. Raw, rough finish. You don't even notice it after a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    So today I got the front suspension hung. When I went to grab a lug to hold on the rotors I looked a little closer at the spinners. The finish on the indented portion of mine is not very nice. It almost looks as if it has overspray on it. I was under the impression that the inside portions were powder coated to match the wheels and the very centers polished. Am I mistaken?? Is this normal? I will snap a picture in the morning.
    Mine look pretty bad also. Thinking of powder coating them. Don't quite understand how such a nice looking wheel comes with such a crappy looking spinner. I'm assuming different suppliers for each part but I wish FFR demanded a little better quality on those.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have them powder coated as well. I will have to match up the color. Any ideas on the color?

Post Thanks / Like
    Normal

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have them powder coated as well. I will have to match up the color. Any ideas on the color?
    I emailed Courtnie at FFR and asked if they had a color code on the wheels. She said they did not.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if I'd call it "poorly done," but rather "unfinished." The raw, rough finish as referred to in one of the posts above is just right if you're doing an old-school build. For those who wish to take it further, the unfinished surface can be prepped and coated as the builder sees fit. Just another example of FFR providing the canvas so that we can produce the work of art.

Here's mine and I think the finish is perfect - it they'd been painted, polished, or powder coated, I would have had to strip them to achieve this patina.

Here's an interesting one, though, note the finish on the knock-off (often gold anodized on the original cars) and the patina on the wheel....

That wheel is on an original, never restored, one-owner Cobra that I saw while at Cobra Automotive in Wallingford, CT earlier this year..... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    And like Lynn Park ("Mr. Cobra") once said, you can always tell the replicas from the originals, because the replicas are always clean and shiny.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    And like Lynn Park ("Mr. Cobra") once said, you can always tell the replicas from the originals, because the replicas are always clean and shiny.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol. I guess it can be a form of patina??

Moving on to a solution... I spoke with a family friend that will be painting the car, he told me to bring him a wheel and the 4 spinners and he can match it and get them looking right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Close up of mine so that readers can see the as-delivered finish - should have included that above....

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    That's exactly what mine look like.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are cast......would take a lot of effort and time to polish the insides.....that cost would have to be past on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't plan on polishing them. I'm going to have him spray them gray to match the powder coat on the wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of taking my spinner insert (the part that covers the lug nuts) and have lowes or Home depot or ACE hw make me some matching enamel paint. I think I can shine up the rest with a buffing wheel.

I like some shiny bits, especially on the wheels.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Did someone say "shiny bits"?

I could do this all day people...

Kidding aside, as mentioned they are cast and polishing would only increase the cost, and would really go against the whole "race car" look the originals had. If you want it shiny-shiny just break out the compound and make em shiny. Or powdercoat, as you mentioned.

I love all the different types of cobras we build. Some are raw, which is more original and some love them refined. It's all good.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw an original these days in a private collection. Nice wheels...IMG_2813.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Another pic[ATTACH]67803
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Georg View Post
    Another pic[ATTACH]67803
    That is one beautiful Cobra!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a local wheel guy paint my insets. Subtle but it doesn't bother me anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like just about everything else that came with my kit, I was perfectly happy with them until I saw that other people weren't on the forums. Now the finish bugs me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterfubar View Post
    Like just about everything else that came with my kit, I was perfectly happy with them until I saw that other people weren't on the forums. Now the finish bugs me.
    Ha! This statement is a pretty accurate description of the reason behind where a lot of my money has gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if they ever made lug nut covers for the 4 bolt wheels?
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, I just used the polisher and shined them up to be as bright as the insert; looks really great….. I'll get a picture and post it tomorrow….

Post Thanks / Like
    Wareagle, what color did you go with??? My car will hopefully be ready for paint in the next month or so. My sons baseball schedule has taken most weekends away from the car but I did make a promise to the wife to keep all family time first!!! While the car is being painted I plan to get the inserts sprayed and either get some stainless sidepipes or recoat mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wareagle, what color did you go with??? My car will hopefully be ready for paint in the next month or so. My sons baseball schedule has taken most weekends away from the car but I did make a promise to the wife to keep all family time first!!! While the car is being painted I plan to get the inserts sprayed and either get some stainless sidepipes or recoat mine.
    Not sure. I gave the wheel guy the knock offs and one of the lug cover pieces that was already colored to match the wheel. He just used that for a color match.

Post Thanks / Like
    As Gumball showed, the originals were also raw.

1. They were a race car part.
    2. They were meant the be regularly be bashed with a hammer.