Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stumped: need some help with my blinkers

Post Thanks / Like

Stumped: need some help with my blinkers

I can't get my blinkers to light up.

When I move the stalk, nothing happens. When I press the hazard switch nothing happens as well.

Headlights, brights, reverse, and parking lights work.

When I use the top of the steering wheel switch or turn the headlight stalk one click, my orange (blinker) lights come on and stay lit up. Is that supposed to happen?

Any ideas of what I did wrong? Could it be a bad stalk, hazard light switch, or did I diet the blinkers and wiring the parking lights instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Maybe a loose relay ,check you ground

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Maybe a loose relay ,check you ground
    I swapped out a working relay with the blinker relay and that didn't help.

Rear turn signals dont work either. If it put power (through a power probe) to the hazard switch I can get the blinkers to light up.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Troubleshooting wiring from "remote" always a pot shot. My drawings planned for my 818 consolidate onto one page most of the typical wiring (this from 02 Impreza and Legacy H6 too). I bet the turn/hazard circuit has been about the same for a while.

Maybe looking these over will help you understand what you are trying to trace a little more clearly.

See notes under each picture.

In the above, a turn signal pair starts from ignition must be on, 12V from there, into the hazard switch on the top-center of the steering column. With the hazard switch off, 12V passes in I22-6 and out I22-7. Then to the Turn and Hazard module (the blinker control box) in B32-1 and out B32-3. From there to the turn signal lamps. Also goes to the combo meter (dashboard) to show the turn signal. The other side of the turn lamps must get to ground.

So if combo meter does not light/blink then likely issue is no 12V getting through the above paths. If it does light/blink then likely issue is no ground to the lamps. Combo meter gets grounds elsewhere as I recall (did not trace this today to make sure)...

Next - the hazard mode:

For above. all the lights start from fused 12V always on, no ignition needed, into I22-8, hazard switch turned on, out I22-7 and to the "blinker control box" like far above for the turn signals. The output of the blinker control box goes back to the hazard switch I22-1, through and out I22-3 & 4 to all of the turn signals. And to the combo meter for both left and right blink indications.

Like above, no combo meter lights suggest no 12V getting through above paths. If does light/blink, then suspect grounds to the lamps.

I recall the hazard switch connector being very hard to push/pull in my junk box of donor parts. Maybe didn't get plugged in?

Once past loose connectors, you pretty much need to probe the connections in the path above looking for lost power.

Ideally start probing the back side of connector wiring somewhere halfway along the wiring "chain" and work in the direction that suggests lost power or lost ground. Otherwise go to the easiest connector to reach first and move along based on how hard it is to access connectors and wiring. Find where the power is missing.

Since hazard is also not working, you could probably find half or all the issue by working on this with the hazard switch turned on and the ignition turned off. Gives you the most choice of pins to probe looking for where you don't have power to ground.

Keep in mind, if you have a ground problem - when you are probing somewhere on the "ground" side of a circuit, checking from there to a known good ground with your meter, if you see 12V then the open circuit is suggested between that point and the good ground. Because if you had a good ground wire all the way to the check point, it would be at ground potential. (where "ground" = 0V side of battery, etc.)
    Last edited by aquillen; 07-19-2017 at 04:55 PM.