Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Will power steering pump interfere with steering shaft?

Post Thanks / Like

Will power steering pump interfere with steering shaft?

Question for FFR: Am using an '04 Mach 1 DOHC 4.6 donor engine with hydroboost PS/PB in a Mk4 roadster. Page 65 of the basic manual includes the following: "If you are planning on running power steering the alternate pulley is not needed. You will however need the power steering mounting brackets for a non A/C car." In that not every statement in the manual is applicable to every engine/chassis configuration, does this statement apply to my configuration?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can run the power steering from your Mach 1 donor car. The standard steering pump bracket will work fine. You will need to use the A/C eliminator bracket that is supplied in the 4.6 donor installation components. You will alo need the 94-04 steering components to use your power rack.

Best regards,

Brian @ FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick response Brian. Have already installed the A/C eliminator bracket on engine and steering components on chassis. Intend on installing engine in chassis shortly, hence the question about interference. Suggest the manual be edited to correct quoted statement.

Thanks again,
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian,
    I am using a 2001 Ford GT 4.6 SOHC, the assembly manual says to use the non a/c steering bracket. I am not sure if the DOHC or SOHC is similar in that area. If I need that bracket do you know the part number for it?

Roy

Post Thanks / Like
    The statement in the manual relating to relocating the pump to non-A/C configuration is for a Fox body 5.0 Windsor engine.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff, I was only finding that bracket for the 351 Windsor. The section under 96-04 EFI cars (page 69 of the basic kit assembly manual) had the statement about using the non-a/c power steering bracket so I was under the impression that was what I needed.

Roy