Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Custom heat extractor taillights in the works

Post Thanks / Like

Custom heat extractor taillights in the works

I have been working on making some taillights for my GTM that are a little more appropriate. Going for a similar look as the 2017 Ford GT, but with some flair. They are custom made 1/2" acrylic diffusers for which I am having custom addressable LED rings made, which are controlled with 5v data from an Arduino Uno. There will be 4 rings, red all the time for parking lights, and get brighter with brakes. The outer two will light amber for turn signals, and the inner two will light white for reverse. I am also making a trim ring insert for the center to give them a turbine look. This ring will be gloss black or carbon fiber. If you look closely, you will see the detail in the inner ring, and that the inside is chamfered as well. Subtle but huge difference. Lastly, the center is open, with a concave pressed grill to add depth. Air will flow in the side scoops, and the four lights will serve as extra heat extraction points. Once my prototype is complete and working, I will CNC the final products for assembly. The outer ring will be lightly tinted and they will be done.
    Last edited by MTSCustoms; 12-24-2016 at 12:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the pressed grill and outer ring

Groove cut in for LED's

Backing plate made

Test fit

Post Thanks / Like
    Inner ring made

Test fit again

43 SMD LED's per ring layout

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are OUTSTANDING! Form, function, light weight, they have it all. The only issue I see with this light is that everyone will want some and they will be common on the GTM and every other custom exotic car. Very impressive.

EDIT: Can't wait to see the first custom car that cuts the screens and runs their exhaust tips through a set of those.
    Last edited by mikeinatlanta; 12-24-2016 at 07:48 AM.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    Those are OUTSTANDING! Form, function, light weight, they have it all. The only issue I see with this light is that everyone will want some and they will be common on the GTM and every other custom exotic car. Very impressive.

EDIT: Can't wait to see the first custom car that cuts the screens and runs their exhaust tips through a set of those.
    Thank you Mike! I wouldn't mind making a few more sets to recuperate some costs, but there's something nice about having one-off parts.

Then again, that's the beauty of what I do. I can remake these lights 1000 different ways by just changing the the chamfers, or roundovers, or even the grill mesh used for the middle. Heres an example of another insert I made beut decided it was too radical.

As for exhaust, I thought about making some matching trim rings for the kooks tips, but I fear they will melt. They would need to be made 100% out of aluminum. It would be awesome to have them around the exhaust lighting as reverse or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you routing these? Can you show some in-process pics?

Nice work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MTSCustoms View Post
    ...I am having custom addressable LED rings made, which are controlled with 5v data from an Arduino Uno.
    WOW!!! I can't wait to see the finished product!
    Where are you having the custom addressable LED rings made? Just curious...

Juan
    St Louis, MO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    Are you routing these? Can you show some in-process pics?

Nice work!
    Yes, I used the router almost exclusively on this. I am right in North Chelmsford, you are more than welcome to swing by my shop any time and check it out. I can show you in person that way. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by juanfmc View Post
    WOW!!! I can't wait to see the finished product!
    Where are you having the custom addressable LED rings made? Just curious...

Juan
    St Louis, MO
    I just asked on an Arduino forum and got very lucky when a guy who makes custom circuit boards contacted me and could make them, and happened to be local. Not sure of his business info or if he just does it for himself, but I will know if he does well in a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I. Love. Those.

Don't show them to Stig. It would make one more thing he'd have to change on his car. LOL!
    (JK, Mike!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, really innovative. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Michael

GTM 240

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MTSCustoms View Post
    Yes, I used the router almost exclusively on this. I am right in North Chelmsford, you are more than welcome to swing by my shop any time and check it out. I can show you in person that way. Thank you!
    Thanks! I think I'd like to try making a set of these for the 818. I have not experienced any heat problems yet but have heard that the engine bay gets pretty warm! A fan positioned behind them could force heat out while standing still too.

Dont be surprised if you see a PM from me!

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm REALLY liking these tail lights! have you decided to market them? and just looking for any updates on them, thanks for sharing!