Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Successful first start

Post Thanks / Like

Successful first start

The big milestone of the first start is a success.

I zoned out and forgot to push the spark plug wires all the way down (from installing and torquing the headers), but once I figured that out, it fired right up. No leaks, no smoking wires, gauges all work, cooling fan and thermo switch and heater work, and even put it in gear and put a tenth of a mile on the speedo (which was indicating, but hasn't been calibrated) while it was on jack stands. I had my go-pro all set up to immortalize the event, but, alas, forgot to push the start button. A couple neighbors got it on their phones though, just have to figure out how to get it on my computer.

Gotta say though, the noise is awesome.

Now I need to figure out what to tackle next. I've pretty much spent the last 6 months to just to get here. I'll have to pretty much put the project on hold for Jan. and most of Feb., cause I get shipped off to school for work. I guess it will give me time to lay out plans on what to do next. The two biggies I see at the moment are getting the body on, and getting it titled and registered. Plus, I'm sure, a hundred other little projects.

But, for today, a big "whew..."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations - nothing more rewarding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Christmas present! Congrats
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!

Post Thanks / Like
    fantastic well done
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! I'm expecting a man that flies big jets around the world can figure out how to get us some video in a timely manner! Haha
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Congratulations! I'm expecting a man that flies big jets around the world can figure out how to get us some video in a timely manner! Haha
    One would think that... But I'm the last guy in the world I bet that has never sent a text, ever. Working on getting a video. Timely, well, that's relative.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    What are the odds that we would both achieve first start on the very same day!! Congratulations. It is, indeed, a very good feeling!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    What are the odds that we would both achieve first start on the very same day!! Congratulations. It is, indeed, a very good feeling!!
    Congratulation back at ya. Yup, I'm still pretty stoked. It's starting to become a real car now.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    way to go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Huge milestone.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Congratulations! Huge milestone.
    What he said

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! The first start always puts a smile on your face.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! You will have piece of mind knowing it runs while taking off the next couple of months.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the great support and encouragement. I should have put it in the original post to this thread, but somehow in the excitement forgot. But it's not just my accomplishment, it's a lot of people on the forum(s) as well. Over the months, many of you have contributed advice, knowledge, and experience so that I wouldn't have to make the same mistakes as have so many before me. I have wondered often how those first few builders got through it without the help of builders before them.

Without the forum, and the expertise of you builders before me, I would still be fixing my own mistakes and still waiting for that first start. So I would again like to thank all of you who have contributed to this success. A team effort. (speaking of which, a neighbor got a good video of the start and the cheerleaders behind the camera. It's a crack up. I need to get it on my computer, edit it and get it posted). Merry Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job boat737. That training will be a killer. Been to enough of them over the years. I am usually bored out of my gord by the 3rd night. Training keeps the days busy but the nights in the hotel are a pain. Plenty of time to make plans, that is for sure. Congratulations!
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I missed it, Ken. Can't wait to see it on the road. Merry Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rezell3d View Post
    Sorry I missed it, Ken. Can't wait to see it on the road. Merry Christmas.
    Thanks Rod. Maybe for the go-kart. Who's Ken?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Thanks Rod. Maybe for the go-kart. Who's Ken?
    Oops, I'm sorry. I meant Dan. I was reading something else and had that name on the brain.