BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Transmission stuck

Post Thanks / Like

Transmission stuck

My transmission will only shift into first and back to neutral with clutch in or out. It will not shift back into second. It will not not rotate (move side to side) to access the other gears. Any idea what is causing this and how to fix it?

The transmission is a 2006 jdm six speed. It's shifting has been this way since I received it. I have converted it to two wheel drive and installed it along with a new clutch. I have used the starter to turn the motor over with the trans in neutral and in first gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure clutch is disengaging?

Post Thanks / Like
    Depressing the clutch moves the clutch fork forward. Not sure about whether fully disengaging. I just tried holding the clutch in all the way and seeing if I can turn the wheels while in gear and I can't. I can turn them when in neutral. So that might mean it is not disengaging, correct? The clutch was installed by a mechanic.

Post Thanks / Like
    The clutch not disengaging should affect all gears, including first. With the engine running you should be able to hear and feel the gears grinding when you try to shift. You should be able to shift through all of the gears by pushing, pulling and turning the shift lever at the rear of the transmission with the linkage disconnected. If not the issue is in the transmission and it will take opening it up to find the problem. If you are able to shift it directly then the problem must be with how you have the shifter and cables set up. Possibly reversed or badly out of adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a test with the starter and was able to confirm the clutch is in fact disengaging.

I am trying to shift at the transmission so the linkage is not a factor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by farawayjeff View Post
    It's shifting has been this way since I received it.
    Can you tell us where you received it? And, anything else you know about it, like was it from a running car, rebuilt by _____, from Craig's List, etc.? There are a lot of smart guys here who can probably show you the way over this hurdle.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased on ebay. The seller was nagasaki_motors2006. I have no history on it. Only the typical jdm import description of a 'low mileage' jdm transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    idf pretty much nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by farawayjeff View Post
    I am trying to shift at the transmission so the linkage is not a factor.
    Does this mean you were successfully able to shift through all 6 gears by directly manipulating the shaft at the back of the transmission? If not, you will probably need to take the transmission apart to figure out the problem.