BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Tool - Finger Brake

Post Thanks / Like

New Tool - Finger Brake

I have a friend who is a machinery rigger / mover and he often comes across good deals on equipment that is being liquidated. Today he dropped this off at my shop - it's a 48" bench top finger brake.... should come in really handy while fabricating panels for my vintage race Mustang project.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris-

That's one great friend you have there! That's a great find too. I have a few things to bend up, I will just send them out to you, OK? HA

Congratulations on a great find, and awesome friend!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm seriously jealous. Would love to have one of those. Congrats on a great find.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris
    Keep us posted on how much you use that brake. When we visit Springfield MO I always go to Grizzly and see what is in their discount room.
    That exact same brake was there this week for $500, I'm tempted to buy one for my 33 project.
    Dale Berry
    Hemi33

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    A brake will certainly come in handy (for many things even beyond building cars). Now you need a good 48" sheet metal shear to complement your brake. Buy quality and it will last a long time. I've been using & abusing my brake & shear since the 80's and they still work like when they were new. The brake will be much handier if you build a sturdy stand on locking casters vs. mounting it on a bench. When ready for a shear buy a pneumatic (or hydraulic). Yes they are more expensive than the stomp shears but well worth it. Look for used equipment auctions there are some really good deals if you know equipment well enough to sift through the junk or worn out equipment and find the bargains.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a great find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys - I'm really happy with it. Definitely plan on a stand for it, as bench top space is always at a premium at any shop.

Having a buddy who is a rigger / mover is way better than having to follow all the equipment auctions - he's helped me get this, my mill, and other large machinery. Usually I go for old (very old) US made stuff, but this was such a good find and nearly free, so I wasn't going to turn it away.

The last three things on my must-have list are a good shear (looking for old Pexto, Chicago, or Niagara), a sand-blast cabinet (likely a Scat Blast one from the guys over in Canfield, OH), and a real compressor - likely the 80 gallon Quincy I've been watching at a local store.

If this lawyering thing doesn't work out - or if I ever get around to retiring, I can finally turn to making a living (or at least not spending money) using all this stuff!
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074