FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dash end cover helps seal cockpit

Post Thanks / Like

Dash end cover helps seal cockpit

I noticed a large gap at the ends of the dash that allows outside air (or rattlesnakes!) and wind noise into the cockpit. This is noticeable only in the coupe since topless guys have wind everywhere. At the front of the doors the gap is a triangle that extends up to the inside of the dash and air comes in through the fender/door gap even with the wheel wells installed. Of course I noticed the gap after my third "final" install of the door and had to remove the door again to install this cover, but that's all part of the fun. The left photo shows the aluminum panel I made and the right photo has the finished panel. Next, I'll mount rubber seal to the front inside edge of the door that will seal the door against this new panel, thus blocking outside air and noise. So, before you install your doors, you might want to block off the ends of the dash.

dash side cover.jpg

Oh, before you finish this panel you'll want to drill a hole for the window wires, and add a grommet of course.
    Last edited by AZPete; 12-28-2016 at 11:53 PM. Reason: window wires
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea! And it makes it look OEM with that cover on the side. But from where is that air coming? If you seal under the dash it's sealed from the front area.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Good idea! And it makes it look OEM with that cover on the side. But from where is that air coming? If you seal under the dash it's sealed from the front area.
    Air comes in between the gap between the door and the fender. Then around the front of the door. On the 818S. the cockpit is low pressure.
    If you don't put on the splash guards behind the front wheels. At the track, rubber dust comes in through that hole and cover you with black soot.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Great tip! I will be sure to do this before installing the door. I am not worried about rattlesnakes, but it may keep the snow out!

Post Thanks / Like
    AZPete, thanks for the tip!
    ~ Mark

818C S/N 429ES: Start Date 1 September 2016
    2001 NB Miata LS3 V8 440 rwhp
    2004 Miata MazdaSpeed Factory Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    With the dash end cover in place, air can still sneak in between the door and this dash end cover. I made a strip of aluminum with rubber bulb seal riveted to it to fit the front inside edge of the door. I didn't know how wide to make it until I mounted the door, so I elongated the holes so I could slide the strip to close the gap and then tighten the #8 screws. I know this sounds anal but I want to seal the cockpit for noise.

door front seal.jpg

This pic is without the wheel well panel installed so the next step is to rivet that panel in (again).
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm. My Saab has a couple of wedg-ish-triangular foam pieces that might fit the bill.....perhaps I should keep those.