FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LS3 E-rod anyone install one in a GTM other than FFR?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

LS3 E-rod anyone install one in a GTM other than FFR?

I was watching the Horsepower TV show where they put a E-Rod LS3 in a customers GTM. FFR helped. Due to time constraints they left a lot out of the conversion. Has anyone done this? If so could you share what you had to do vs using a LS1 donor from a Vette. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need all of the E-rod components like accessories, air intake and the cats unless you don't have a wreck to start with. There are better parts available keeping you in the same total price range.

The LS3 crate motor has a lot more potential for the $ than a stock 350 hp LS1 and only about 60% of the cost of the LS7. The heads and intake manifold are very good on the LS3 and with a little cam work, they make lots of horse power.

The LS3 is 430 hp out of the crate for less than 8,000. They also have a 525 hp version for about 9,000. The computer and wiring for either one is about 1100.

My car has the LS3 with Kooks, cold air intake an aggressive cam, better springs and higher ratio rockers. It has plenty of motor for a car that is 2800# wet with me in it.
    Michael

GTM 240

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put one of the first "crate" LS3's in a Resto Mod 1959 Corvette back in 2009 and used the GM harness with computer. Hod Rod magazine had done a dyno test of this set up with long tube headers and came up with 495 HP. The GM harness was truly a plug and play. Car is an animal and weight was 2180 lbs, so right in line with a FFR. Would do it again. Unless you want to be really fast then go the extra $$ for LS 7. You have to remember traction is a limiting factor in engine size. The one big thing to do when installing is to put the Air flow sensor at least 10 or 12 inches from the throttle body intake. The directions give the best distance. There are some people installing and using an adapter/air filter that mounts directly to the front of the throttle body ,this sends improper info to the ECU, and poor running conditions.
    Last edited by first time builder; 12-31-2016 at 01:17 PM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    I put one of the first "crate" LS3's in a Resto Mod 1959 Corvette back in 2009 and used the GM harness with computer. Hod Rod magazine had done a dyno test of this set up with long tube headers and came up with 495 HP. The GM harness was truly a plug and play. Car is an animal and weight was 2180 lbs, so right in line with a FFR. Would do it again. Unless you want to be really fast then go the extra $$ for LS 7. You have to remember traction is a limiting factor in engine size. The one big thing to do when installing is to put the Air flow sensor at least 10 or 12 inches from the throttle body intake. The directions give the best distance. There are some people installing and using an adapter/air filter that mounts directly to the front of the throttle body ,this sends improper info to the ECU, and poor running conditions.
    10/4 Thanks. I saw on the Horse Power TV show they used a short adapter but I am sure they did not want to ad in the problem with that. I will have to look into fixing that problem. Did you have to install any sort of reducer in the MAFS pipe? I see Spectre lists several different types of sleeves. Thanks for any more info you can help out with.

Post Thanks / Like
    First time builder is correct with distance but you also need to have it in a straight run of tubing to give it non-turbulent flow. The only straight run of pipe on my intake is near the filter tucked all the way by the fuel tank on the left side. If you run Kooks headers the bend coming out of the throttle body is pretty sharp to clear the header crossover pipe.

You won't go wrong with the LS3. Someone mentioned traction is limiting and they are correct. My LS3 is tweaked about as far as you can with stock compression and natural aspiration. I had 315 Michelins on the rear and they did not have enough forward bite. I figured that out the day that I shifted into 4th gear at 105 mph without letting off the very much. The car uncontrollably spun the rear tires. I though I broke something it rev'ed so fast. Good news is the car stays pretty straight when you do that. That night I purchased a set of Toyo Proxes R888 335s. You can still spin the tires at will but the car has substantially improved forward and side bite with the wider and softer tires.
    Michael

GTM 240

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    We used Spectre pipes, a 90 degree off Throttle body then a 12" straight then a cone filter. The MAF went right into the straight section with the flat/ curved adapter that came with the MAF. This engine in the Vette with 305"s will break (easily) the tires in 4th gear. It has a Magnum T 56 trans. 3:55 gears in a Vette independent Dana 44 custom rear. Pipe and filter might be different in the GTM. The GM ECU and harness is top notch. I looked and the only photos I have are in the magazine story of the car. I might be able to scan it .
    Kenny