Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thread: Wallace18's GTM build Thread

Wallace18's GTM build Thread

Well it is official, I now own a GTM kit and 2002 Corvette donor parts and G96 transaxle. I bought this all from Wrobert who originally ordered the kit in Jan. 2016 but has had a change in plans. The donor stuff is at his home and storage shed in Roanoke, VA. The kit is still at FFR. My plan is to pickup the donor stuff on Feb. 4th and the kit on Feb. 6th. This will allow me to finish up a customer MK4 and get close to finish up a 818E for another customer. I will not start work on the GTM till all my customer cars are done. I am super excited about this build. I dreamed of building one of these for 3 years now. I have been fortunate to build 3-818S's, 2- MK4's, a Type 65 and a 33 Hot Rod so far. This will complete my portfolio so to speak on FFR kits, LOL. I relize this is going to be more complex, but I feel up to the task. My plans are to do a completely new drivetrain and a E-Rod engine so the car will be 50 state legal as far as emissions. I will use some of the stuff off of the LS1 but will sell what I don't use later down the road. Once I get the copy of the build sheet I will post what comes with the kit from FFR. I still have to send a check to FFR to pay off what is still owed on the kit and then all will be ready for me on Feb. 6th. Somehow I always end up at FFR in Jan. or Feb. I am sure I will miss my warm Florida weather. Wish me luck! LOL.

Excited to see you again though!
    Courtnie Provencher
    Factory Five Tech Sales & Support

Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Well it is official, I now own a GTM kit and 2002 Corvette donor parts and G96 transaxle. I bought this all from Wrobert who originally ordered the kit in Jan. 2016 but has had a change in plans. The donor stuff is at his home and storage shed in Roanoke, VA. The kit is still at FFR. My plan is to pickup the donor stuff on Feb. 4th and the kit on Feb. 6th. This will allow me to finish up a customer MK4 and get close to finish up a 818E for another customer. I will not start work on the GTM till all my customer cars are done. I am super excited about this build. I dreamed of building one of these for 3 years now. I have been fortunate to build 3-818S's, 2- MK4's, a Type 65 and a 33 Hot Rod so far. This will complete my portfolio so to speak on FFR kits, LOL. I relize this is going to be more complex, but I feel up to the task. My plans are to do a completely new drivetrain and a E-Rod engine so the car will be 50 state legal as far as emissions. I will use some of the stuff off of the LS1 but will sell what I don't use later down the road. Once I get the copy of the build sheet I will post what comes with the kit from FFR. I still have to send a check to FFR to pay off what is still owed on the kit and then all will be ready for me on Feb. 6th. Somehow I always end up at FFR in Jan. or Feb. I am sure I will miss my warm Florida weather. Wish me luck! LOL.
    Wow! It will be interesting to see a GTM built from the start. I'm sure you will do a great job as I have seen your other build threads. Good Luck! Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Blog Entries
    Cant wait to see it in person I bought the Manuel 6 year ago but no car yet congrat tom

Got a copy of the build sheet from Dan at FFR yesterday.

GTM-GEN II
    F14 Titanium 18" wheels
    Heat/AC-GTM
    GTM Cold air intake
    GTM roof scoop
    GTM Telescoping column kit
    GTM Adjustable rod end kit
    GTM seat delete. - Lucky for me I have a set of GTM seats we did not use in the 818E build I am doing. God was looking out for me here. Too much of a coincidence!

After doing a bunch of research over the last few days I have changed my mind about going with the E-Rod LS3 motor. I have no experience with the LS engines. I have a ton with GEN 1 SBC and SBF. After a bunch of reading and talking with guys who have a lot of experience with these LS engines I am going to use the LS1 from the 2002 donor Vette and do a cam, spring swap and buy a PSI wiring harness for the LS1. I can get an easy 400HP this way and use most of what I have and keep my cost way down vs the LS3. I feel 400HP is plenty and since the donor only had 77K on it it has plenty of life left in it. I will be buying some stuff from the FFR Vendor VRaptor SpeedWorks. Thanks to all that helped me out with the E-rod LS3 info. Maybe go that route down the road with a customer build in the future.

Had a great time talking to Rollin's Automotive in Gainesville, FL. today 1/3/17. They are a local speed shop I buy speed parts from time to time. They do a ton of drag race engines and have a lot of LS experience. For a very reasonable fee they will totally go through my LS1 and make it better than new and produce well over 400HP. By the time i buy the special tools and parts I thought I may need they can do my motor work while I stay busy on the kit. They have a great reputation in the area so I feel comfortable doing this deal. I will still save a ton of money vs the E-Rod LS3. They are excited about being part of a GTM build as it has been on their radar for a few years. Who knows maybe they will buy a GTM kit down the road?
    Last edited by wallace18; 01-04-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Congratulations on the new GTM. I am looking forward, as always, to your build thread. Your work is fantastic!