FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wallace18's GTM build Thread

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got a few things done today. I made a cover for the coolant lines and hoses in the tunnel area. With this and my vented lower panel from VRaptor Works I will hopefully avoid excess heat in this area, I also made a close out panel in the passenger area and engine turned the motor side of the rear cockpit panels.

IMG_1639.JPGIMG_1640.JPGIMG_1641.JPGIMG_1641.JPGIMG_1642.JPGIMG_1643.JPGIMG_1645.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Started on the doors. I have most of the frames done and the window tracks. I still have to figure out the latch area. I also installed the Vette CV's and boots.

IMG_1653.JPGIMG_1652.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    After hearing from FFR and Shane at VRaptor I am going to put off doing any more on the doors till I have the body on the car. I did get to pick up my 4 parts from Cutting Edge Hydrographics today. Very pleased with the outcome. Here is some pics.

IMG_1654.JPGIMG_1655.JPGIMG_1656.JPGIMG_1657.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to much to report. I did figure out how to wire up my Vette power mirrors to a Saturn Vue switch I got out of the bone yard. I also had my front splitter, grille, rear grille and diffuser vents powder coated gloss black. I then sanded of the leading edge of the front grille and then clear coated it. I really like how it came out.

IMG_1659.JPGIMG_1660.JPGIMG_1661.JPGIMG_1662.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had to set the grille in the front opening. Wow! I really like it vs the mesh. Thanks Shane at VRaptor.

IMG_1663.JPGIMG_1664.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I rough cut out the openings for the front louvers.

IMG_1665.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who really knows me knows I love to look for bargains at U-Pull-It boneyards,LOL. I found this spoiler from a Chevy Impala for $18.17. I really like how it looks on the car. I think once I drill the 4 holes for the mounting studs it will lay almost completely flat on the car. Really changes the look of the rear IMO.

IMG_1681.JPGIMG_1683.JPGIMG_1686.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Good eye. Now did you go there knowing the length needed ,or did you just eyeball it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Good eye. Now did you go there knowing the length needed ,or did you just eyeball it.
    I knew it had to be between 50-60 inches in width. I took a tape measure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Anyone who really knows me knows I love to look for bargains at U-Pull-It boneyards,LOL. I found this spoiler from a Chevy Impala for $18.17. I really like how it looks on the car. I think once I drill the 4 holes for the mounting studs it will lay almost completely flat on the car. Really changes the look of the rear IMO.

IMG_1681.JPGIMG_1683.JPGIMG_1686.JPG
    Nice!
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a few hours this morning to work on the GTM. I did a rough cutout of the rear screens. I set the screen inside just for an idea of what it will look like. I will do the final detail sanding later in the project. I am going crazy waiting on my drive train. Should all be here in 2-3 weeks I hope, LOL. I also drilled the 4 mounting holes for the rear spoiler. Looks like it should have cost me more than $18.17. LOL.

IMG_1691.JPGIMG_1692.JPGIMG_1693.JPGIMG_1694.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-20-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

She's coming along nicely! I like the rear screen, although there is some ugly rectangular thing in the middle of it. I can't make out what it says, other than it looks like it is an advertisement for an animal zoo or something about a alligator farm or something. It is really ugly!! HA

I really like the rear spoiler! What a great find! Good for you for bringing that home with you. The vent screens really look sharp, and add a nice touch.

Keep up the great work Sir!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorta running out of stuff to do while waiting on the drivetrain. I did wire up the tail lights for weather-pac connectors and tested the lights. Also mocked up the fuel filler install.

IMG_1695.JPGIMG_1696.JPGIMG_1697.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not worked much on the GTM as of late. I had some work to do on a customer MK4 and get my MK4 ready for some car shows. I did pick up my long block from being rebuilt by Rollins Speed shop last Friday. Besides going thru the whole thing I had upgraded the entire valve train and heads were ported. I hope to start assembling it Monday. I also ordered more louvers from VRaptor Speed-works. They look like they will be a lot better than the kit ones IMO. Here is some pics.

IMG_1701.JPGIMG_1702.JPGIMG_1704.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today i started putting stuff back on the engine. I have to go get a tensioner pulley for the A/C yet. I installed the VRaptor tension kit and Alt idler kit. Though it is looking like a LS1, LOL.

IMG_1705.JPGIMG_1706.JPGIMG_1707.JPGIMG_1708.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I won't be posting for about a week. A good friend of mine is having a real tough time in his life and I am going up to visit with him for a few days to help him out. See you all when I get back. TW
    Last edited by wallace18; 05-09-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am back at it today. I installed the engine, hooked up the A/C hoses, coolant hoses and started on the engine wiring harness. Coming along nicely.

IMG_1709.JPGIMG_1711.JPGIMG_1712.JPGIMG_1713.JPGIMG_1714.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Last 2 days I only had mornings to work on the GTM. I notched the frame where the A/C compressor electric connector is. I can see how the motor may rock enough to break this off. I notched the frame and welded in a plate. Plenty of room now. I then mocked up the engine cover brackets. I ended up using 1/4" spacers to get the correct height so nothing hits. Cover looks way better than the intake and coils, IMO. I also ran my engine wiring in the rear area. I mounted the ECU and Tac module down in this area and then the PSI harness fuse panel in the top. I will make a plate to seal off the rest of the open space.

IMG_1715.JPGIMG_1717.JPGIMG_1719.JPGIMG_1720.JPGIMG_1721.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom thanks for giving us another great build to watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a lot done today. First I cut out the front louver area for the oversized units from VRaptor. Then I wired up the final A/C wiring to the trinary switch and compressor clutch. Also wired up the cruise control, engine ECU and PSI stand alone harness. So much neater than using the Vette harness, IMO. I made some covers for the rear fuse box area and where I mounted the ECU and Tac module. I need to engine turn them next. I also had to just temporarily hook up the cold air tubes to see how they fit over the fuse box area. Looks very cool. IMO.

IMG_1722.JPGIMG_1723.JPGIMG_1724.JPGIMG_1727.JPGIMG_1728.JPGIMG_1726.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much to report on. I have been working on the wiring. I have 95% of the engine harness wired and installed 2 fan relays and wired the 2 radiator fans up. Nothing to really take photos of. Hoping to get a word on my transaxle stuff by 5/31/17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much to report on. I have been working on the wiring. I have 95% of the engine harness wired and installed 2 fan relays and wired the 2 radiator fans up. Nothing to really take photos of. Hoping to get a word on my transaxle stuff by 5/31/17.
    Thanks for nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adubbelde View Post
    Thanks for nothing

OK, shame me into posting some pics, LOL.

Here is the fan relays and I did mount the fuel tanks. I had to replace the passenger side fuel pump/sender unit. The donor one had a bad wiper on the level sender. I plumbed the fuel lines to the filter and fuel rail. I insulated the tank area for rubbing. Still have to install the line between the tanks on the bottom and make a vent system to a charcoal canister.

IMG_1733.JPGIMG_1729.JPGIMG_1730.JPGIMG_1731.JPGIMG_1732.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    This forum really needs a "like " button

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I finished up the fuel tanks. I installed the cross-over hose and wired up the level sensor and fuel pump. I ordered a 1200 degree F sleeve for the cross-over line. It is sorta close to the exhaust manifold outlet. Better safe than sorry, IMO. I also made up a small panel for the ignition and other console mounted switches to use during the go-cart stage. I ended up with an extra gauge panel. The first one in the kit was badly scratched. I was able to use the scratched one to play around with gauge locations as well as use it for the go -cart stage as well. While wiring up the gauges I notice all light up blue except for the volt meter. It lights up white. Speed-Hut is going to fix it for me. I just have to ship it out tomorrow. Here is some pics.

IMG_1734.JPGIMG_1735.JPGIMG_1736.JPGIMG_1737.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some bad news yesterday. Raceline could not fulfill my parts order and is hopefully sending a full refund. I am ordering a G50/20 transaxle and associated parts from Vertex Automotive in Miami. They have everything and I will finally get my parts to finish the driveline tomorrow. I editted my earlier post about parts i am going to use. While this is a setback It will allow me to use the shifter and adapter from the FFR kit. I will end up saving some money in the long run. I do have a good used G96.01 box for sale in the classified section if anyone is interested. See pic of unit for sale.

IMG_1738.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I left yesterday morning at 3:00 AM to head to Vertex Auto in Miami. I made it there about 10:30 AM lots of rain and traffic down there. While it took the great guys at Vertex 4 hours to fill my order due to a mix up with an employee who was let go. Gilbert and his staff made sure I had everything I needed to finalize my drive train and made sure it fit perfectly. While it was hard to swallow the core charge on the tranny and starter I do have some top flight stuff to finish up the go-car stage of the build. I made it home by 8 PM but had to drive through some heavy rain. I want to personally thank Gilbert, George and all the staff of Vertex for their help and kind help in this matter. I am praying I get a refund from Raceline.

IMG_1740.JPGIMG_1741.JPGIMG_1742.JPGIMG_1743.JPG

https://www.vertexauto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a lot of stuff done today. I first found that some of the bolts that hold the starter ring to the flywheel protruded too far. I ground them down so they would not interfere with the pressure plate. I drilled out the adapter plate as per the manual instructions for the shift linkage. I then mounted the plate, flywheel and clutch assembly. I modified the transaxle for inversion. Basically Plugged up the vent hole and installed a vent in the drain plug. I then used some tape to hold the throw out bearing arm to the T/O bearing. Installed the transaxle and then the clutch arm shaft. Easy as pie. LOL. Installed the starter and clutch slave cylinder as well. Installed the inner Cv's, speed sensor ring and boots Still a few loose ends to finish up but good progress. Hope to have it go-cart by 6/9/17.

IMG_1744.JPGIMG_1745.JPGIMG_1746.JPGIMG_1747.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPGIMG_1749.JPGIMG_1750.JPGIMG_1752.JPG
    IMG_1753.JPGIMG_1754.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is pics of CV's.

IMG_1755.JPGIMG_1756.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Just traversing the forum and see "Wallace18s GTM Build" pop up. What can't this man do? Can't wait to see this, and the build log is stellar as always.

Awesome spoiler too. I remember the Tiburon (right?) spoiler you found for your orange 818 and here you've done it again! Resourceful.
    Michael
    Coupe #675 "Eloise"

10/14/14 Coupe Ordered - 1/29/15 Coupe Delivered - 5/1/16 First Start
    Build Thread - Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I installed the starter wires, altenator wires, E-Brake cables, transaxle vent, Slave cylinder hose, Heat sleeves around wires and cross over hose. Also install some clamps to keep wires and such out of the way and away from heat sources as best as possible. I also mounted RS cat and wrapped it in DEI Titanium heat tape. I had to modify altenetor some so shift linkage mount would fit. Lots of little stuff that takes time to get right.

IMG_1761.JPGIMG_1764.JPGIMG_1766.JPGIMG_1767.JPG IMG_1757.JPGIMG_1760.JPGIMG_1765.JPGIMG_1762.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Another busy day. I took out the ECU and I am having Rollin's Automotive put a base tune in it so the FI does not run super rich using the factory tune. The Vacuum is so different the engine could wash out the rings with gas. Definitely do not want that to happen. I finished up the starter wiring and the engine cranks over fine. I installed the ground strap to the engine as well. Put in the speed sensor and shift linkage. I had to do a lot a work to get the linkage to work correctly. Here is some pics.

IMG_1773.JPGIMG_1768.JPGIMG_1769.JPGIMG_1771.JPGIMG_1772.JPGIMG_1770.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up exhaust and bled clutch slave. Wired up gauges for go-cart stage. Was able to go thru all gears in transaxle. Put 12 gallons of gas in tanks and fuel gauge reads accurate. Also filled up cooling system. No leaks so far. So far so good, LOL.

IMG_1774.JPGIMG_1775.JPGIMG_1776.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Normally I do not work on weekends, not the case this one. But there is a 99% chance I will have to put the GTM on the back burner for 6 months. I have a customer 33 build to do and customers always come first. I did get to do a 4 wheel alignment, tidy up some wiring for go-cart stage. I also mounted some rear panels around the engine and fuel tanks. All I need is to get ECU back from getting a base program in it and I can try to start it. I am going out of town till the 18th then most likely start on 33 kit. If I get a little time here and there to work on the GTM I will, LOL.

IMG_1777.JPGIMG_1778.JPGIMG_1779.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going out of town till the 18th then most likely start on 33 kit.
    Tom
    You coming to BG KY again ?
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I am coming. I sent you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I am new to the GTM side of FF offerings, I am blown away by this and many other builds. I originally wanted a 33 for a couple years, but stumbled across the GTM a couple months ago and am totally hooked.

Thank you for posting such detailed progress and photos. I am sure I will have some questions once I kick off my build.

-Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Got back from the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green, KY on Sunday afternoon. Met 2 good FFR guys. Spent yesterday and today getting GTM ready for 1st start. I had a air pocket problem in the cooling system and a idler pulley go bad. My friend Art who has done a few LS builds helped me to fill from the top hose at the engine. Cooling problem solved! ran for 1/2 hour never went over 190 degrees. I replaced previous owners idler pulley with GM unit. Bearing came loose in one that came with donor for some reason. Car runs great and sounds fantastic. I still have a few things to iron out and will hopefully go-cart tomorrow. Here is a few pics and a video.

IMG_1784.JPGIMG_1781.JPGIMG_1783.JPGIMG_1782.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

Congratulations on the first start. You really are making good progress, and it looks great, like all your other builds!

Sorry to hear that you will be sidetracked, but it will be nice to follow along on a hot rod build.

I like the rumble on that engine, she sounds mean!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a successful go-cart ride in the neighborhood. Boys this thing fast!!!!! Really sounds awesome up in the rev range. Charged the A/C, blows 42 degrees. I had to jack up rear of car and rebleed clutch slave. All good now. I called for an appointment for chassis dyne tune. Sometime in next few weeks. May go get 33 kit from customer soon. He has everything except wheels and tires. Hate to put GTM on back burner but customers come first.

IMG_1785.JPGIMG_1789.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 06-22-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast