Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wallace18's GTM build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, you have mad skills and boundless energy. I love following your builds.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately I am having to put the GTM build to sleep for awhile. I am picking up a 33 kit from a customer at 8:30 AM tomorrow to build for him. I had to rearrange the shop some. I will be taking the GTM to be dyne-tuned on a chassis dyne soon though. Maybe work on it a little on Saturdays that I take off from customer work.

IMG_1790.JPGIMG_1791.JPGIMG_1792.JPGIMG_1792.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a while since I have worked on the GTM. I recently had some heath issues but I am fine now. I am taking the GTM to Rollin's to put it on the chassis dyno to be tuned tomorrow. My friend Art drove the GTM in my trailer for me. Boy that thing is low to the ground!,LOL. Once that is done I can start on installing the body. I may have someone interested in buying the car as well once it is ready for paint. I will make them a deal if I do not have to pay to have it painted for sure. Stay tuned. 33 is out being painted for my customer right now and big car show this Saturday for my MK4.

IMG_2106.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 10-10-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my GTM back from Rollin's today. Very happy with the chassis dyno results after the tune. I was wanting a little more power than the stock 2002 LS1 but still a very street able ride. Very happy with the flat torque curve. Should be a really nice car to enjoy on the street. Big HP numbers look great and are always bragging rights, but good street able HP and TQ is what I wanted. Car really sounds awesome as well. RWHP was 377.90 at 6330 RPM and Max RWTQ was 361.33 at 4840 RPM. Based on normal 20% loss that would be close to 453HP, 433TQ at the crank. Decent #'s IMO.

IMG_2107.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I am back working on the GTM, Yea! I have it close to ready to put the body on. I installed the A/C hoses. I use S/S screws to hold them on the A/C unit.

IMG_2123.JPGIMG_2124.JPGIMG_2125.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to Mike Everson of Replicaparts and Shane at VRaptor I was able to correct my mistake and reroute the hoses thru the top of the panel. I used my overhead winch to install the rear body. I only had time today to attach it in the door area. I hope to get more done this week. Car really looks mean so low to the ground.

IMG_2129.JPGIMG_2130.JPGIMG_2132.JPGIMG_2133.JPGIMG_2134.JPGIMG_2135.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    didn't even see you updating over here on the build thread part of the sight. Looks great! keep the pics and the updates coming!
    Last edited by tucker298; 12-30-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed the rear body mount. I took my time to get everything lined up correctly. I used a aluminum angle to mount instead of the FFR mount. I used 2-5/16" S/S bolts to the trans frame and 3- 5/16" S/S button head screws into the angle that I tapped with a drill tap. More solid IMO. They will be hidden behind the license plate. Also drilled and tapped the sides for 10/32 S/S screws as well.

IMG_2136.JPGIMG_2139.JPGIMG_2137.JPGIMG_2138.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I worked on the front panels for the hood. First I mocked them up including the wiper box. Then I used 10/24 rivnuts and screws to attach them to the body. I will rivet them to the chassis after coating them. This will allow for the body to come off easy for paint or whatever the need is. I also used Wayne Presley's flashlight method for locating the door striker holes. Very trick, thanks Wayne.

IMG_2140.JPGIMG_2141.JPGIMG_2142.JPGIMG_2143.JPGIMG_2146.JPGIMG_2147.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Have not had much time to work on GTM due to sale of MK4 and ordering my 35 P/U. I did wire up all the tail lights and rear view camera. Also reinstalled front hood parts after coating.

IMG_2149.JPGIMG_2150.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Ran the B/U camera cord up to the console. Mounted the front end, catches and hood gas struts. Had to move the GTM off the lift to get a once over on my MK4 I have sold before I take it to the new owner. Could not help myself to take a few pictures of both together. Rear wheels are lined up in pics.

IMG_2158.JPGIMG_2153.JPGIMG_2154.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

Great seeing you get some time to work on the GTM! I always enjoy following along on your builds.

Will you finish up the GTM before the pick-up gets to you, you think? I don't know what kind of lead time there will be for the pick-up.

Thanks for the update!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope to have the 33 and GTM done before I get the 35 P/U.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a crazy last 8 days I sold my MK4, my P/U truck got a huge coolant leak, my 2-post lift blew a cylinder and my wife is out of town and I have no ride, LOL. I did however install the other front hood latch.Instead of the way the manual has you line up the catch I installed 2 screws and used anti seize to mark the holes and used 1/4-20 rivnuts. Also installed rear diffuser and VRaptor diffuser grill and louvers. Also VRaptor front grill and fog lights mounts. This stuff is really nice stuff, Thanks Shane. Everything is removable , I used 10-32 and 10-24 screws, nuts and rivnuts to install everything. Hope to install lights in front tomorrow.

IMG_2159.JPGIMG_2160.JPGIMG_2163.JPGIMG_2164.JPGIMG_2166.JPGIMG_2168.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked on front lights this morning. FFR no longer gives the template in the manual. I installed the screws to the lights and put silver anti-seize on the ends to mark where the 25/64" holes go. Worked out well. I also mocked up the front splash shields. I will coat them later. Busy buying a new truck so I do not get to spend as much time working on the GTM as I would like right now.

IMG_2172.JPGIMG_2175.JPGIMG_2180.JPGIMG_2181.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Very busy last few days. I got my new F-150 on Friday, next day I replaced the leaking cylinder on my 2-post lift. Also wired up all my front lights. Caution!! Look at your Turn signal/parking light socket closely. Mine had the 2 + post touching and this would cause the LED to go up in smoke. Make sure they do not touch. I had to adjust mine with a small screwdriver.

IMG_2186.JPGIMG_2187.JPGIMG_2188.JPGIMG_2189.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Started to mount the doors. I can see there will be a ton of work to make these fit and work right. All part of the build, LOL.

IMG_2191.JPG

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your hatch insert is post-curing now, if you're starting the doors you won't need it any time soon anyway! There are mods to make the windows go down all the way and mods to upgrade the seals and weatherproofing that others have already done. The weatherstrips that comes with the kit are cheap and scream kit car.

Post Thanks / Like
    great updates! you may not feel like it but you're making fast progress! makes me feel like I need to do more lol. I feel like I'm just a few steps away from making big leaps on my build, just need to button up some of the last few electrical so I can button up the interior with all the panels. I can't wait to do that because it also means I can mock up all the lights like yours is now, your kit looks really good with those lights in! Do you know what color scheme you're going to go with when you paint her?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker298 View Post
    great updates! you may not feel like it but you're making fast progress! makes me feel like I need to do more lol. I feel like I'm just a few steps away from making big leaps on my build, just need to button up some of the last few electrical so I can button up the interior with all the panels. I can't wait to do that because it also means I can mock up all the lights like yours is now, your kit looks really good with those lights in! Do you know what color scheme you're going to go with when you paint her?
    Not sure. I really like the black top with red bottom look. I may have a customer who wants the car to vinyl wrap it to his personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked on both doors today. In post #42 I mounted the frames in the doors. However the latch side was not lining up at all. I ended up cutting the frame a few inches from the hinge area. I then mounted the doors and made them fit close to where they need to be. Then I mounted the latch and bracket. Now both doors open and close fine. I will then bolt the cut frame to the latch bracket and weld the other side back to the hinge area and all should be good, LOL.

IMG_2192.JPGIMG_2193.JPGIMG_2194.JPGIMG_2195.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    thats the first i've seen that technique.........brilliant lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Waiting on some stuff for me to finish my doors. I ended up redoing my gauge panel and mocked up my center console.

IMG_2196.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Waiting on some stuff for me to finish my doors. I ended up redoing my gauge panel and mocked up my center console.

IMG_2196.JPG
    Hey Tom,

Who did your carbon fiber center console cover? I'm looking to do something a little different and not sure if I want to get all the hardware and try the carbon fiber myself or just pay someone with the experience to do something one off for me. Thanks!!

-Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Hey Tom,

Who did your carbon fiber center console cover? I'm looking to do something a little different and not sure if I want to get all the hardware and try the carbon fiber myself or just pay someone with the experience to do something one off for me. Thanks!!

-Sean
    The console came from Shane at VRaptor. I had it and my e-brake cover done with Hydro-dip CF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I had to put the GTM off to the side while I finish up my 33HR for my customer. Hope to get back at it come Jan. To tell the truth I need a break from it. LOL

IMG_2200.JPG

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Hey Tom,

-Sean
    I make a nicer version of the center console cover in REAL carbon fiber if you're interested, pm me or call (336)847-3521 It is shaped instead of flat stock and looks way more oem. This is the longer version in the pic but I make a short version as well. 0619151431-00.jpg
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 11-17-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For those interested I ordered a new rear hatch from Carbon fiber. Really nice unit. Looks 10X better than the kits IMO. Should be here by Jan.

2011-Factory-Five-GTM_386127_low_res_zpstdoeiz3e.jpg
    Last edited by wallace18; 11-29-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it looks like I have sold my 70% done GTM to a great guy down towards Tampa. I really need the space due to customer car work and my 35 P/U coming. I am a little sad that I did not finish it, but I really think the new owner will do a great job finishing it up. I am in the process of finishing up the radio and various wiring inside the car. I also installed all the under car panels. Most likely deliver it in a week or less. It has been both fun and extremley challenging to build the GTM. IMO this is not for rookies. You really need a good skill set to build one of these. The new owner will have the bodywork as well as interior to finish up. The car runs great! I wish him nothing but the best.

IMG_2214.JPGIMG_2215.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 12-03-2017 at 06:50 AM. Reason: added pics

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad and sister live in Tampa. Maybe I'll see it on the road down there when I go to visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well congratulations to you on selling it. Selfishly I was looking forward to reading how you put the finishing touches on the car. Thank you for your fine thread. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    I echo the same remarks from Jazzman. I have thoroughly enjoyed your build thread and thank you for taking the time to answer my PMs. Good luck finalizing the sale and starting the 35 Truck!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the check came in late yesterday. The GTM is all packed and ready to go to its new owner. Thanks to all for the help and kind words.

IMG_2216.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to see it leave. I was looking forward to seeing the final product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic of the GTM done. Chris who bought it from me just sold it. He did a fantastic job IMO.

image2.jpegimage1[7].jpg
    Last edited by wallace18; 05-17-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vette1972 View Post
    anything with Corvette name tied to it raises the price by many fold. If you know what you need, GM uses the same piece for much lower price. Needed a master cylinder for my 1972 Corvette, $75. Same for 1972 truck $20. Enjoy following your build, Thanks! Keep the good work and posts.
    So true!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123