Engine Factory

Visit our community sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wallace18's GTM build Thread

Got a few things done today. I made a cover for the coolant lines and hoses in the tunnel area. With this and my vented lower panel from VRaptor Works I will hopefully avoid excess heat in this area, I also made a close out panel in the passenger area and engine turned the motor side of the rear cockpit panels.

IMG_1639.JPGIMG_1640.JPGIMG_1641.JPGIMG_1641.JPGIMG_1642.JPGIMG_1643.JPGIMG_1645.JPG

Started on the doors. I have most of the frames done and the window tracks. I still have to figure out the latch area. I also installed the Vette CV's and boots.

IMG_1653.JPGIMG_1652.JPG

After hearing from FFR and Shane at VRaptor I am going to put off doing any more on the doors till I have the body on the car. I did get to pick up my 4 parts from Cutting Edge Hydrographics today. Very pleased with the outcome. Here is some pics.

IMG_1654.JPGIMG_1655.JPGIMG_1656.JPGIMG_1657.JPG

Not to much to report. I did figure out how to wire up my Vette power mirrors to a Saturn Vue switch I got out of the bone yard. I also had my front splitter, grille, rear grille and diffuser vents powder coated gloss black. I then sanded of the leading edge of the front grille and then clear coated it. I really like how it came out.

IMG_1659.JPGIMG_1660.JPGIMG_1661.JPGIMG_1662.JPG

I just had to set the grille in the front opening. Wow! I really like it vs the mesh. Thanks Shane at VRaptor.

IMG_1663.JPGIMG_1664.JPG

Today I rough cut out the openings for the front louvers.

IMG_1665.JPG

Anyone who really knows me knows I love to look for bargains at U-Pull-It boneyards,LOL. I found this spoiler from a Chevy Impala for $18.17. I really like how it looks on the car. I think once I drill the 4 holes for the mounting studs it will lay almost completely flat on the car. Really changes the look of the rear IMO.

IMG_1681.JPGIMG_1683.JPGIMG_1686.JPG

Good eye. Now did you go there knowing the length needed ,or did you just eyeball it.

Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Good eye. Now did you go there knowing the length needed ,or did you just eyeball it.
    I knew it had to be between 50-60 inches in width. I took a tape measure.

Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Anyone who really knows me knows I love to look for bargains at U-Pull-It boneyards,LOL. I found this spoiler from a Chevy Impala for $18.17. I really like how it looks on the car. I think once I drill the 4 holes for the mounting studs it will lay almost completely flat on the car. Really changes the look of the rear IMO.

IMG_1681.JPGIMG_1683.JPGIMG_1686.JPG
    Nice!
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Had a few hours this morning to work on the GTM. I did a rough cutout of the rear screens. I set the screen inside just for an idea of what it will look like. I will do the final detail sanding later in the project. I am going crazy waiting on my drive train. Should all be here in 2-3 weeks I hope, LOL. I also drilled the 4 mounting holes for the rear spoiler. Looks like it should have cost me more than $18.17. LOL.

IMG_1691.JPGIMG_1692.JPGIMG_1693.JPGIMG_1694.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-20-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Tom-

She's coming along nicely! I like the rear screen, although there is some ugly rectangular thing in the middle of it. I can't make out what it says, other than it looks like it is an advertisement for an animal zoo or something about a alligator farm or something. It is really ugly!! HA

I really like the rear spoiler! What a great find! Good for you for bringing that home with you. The vent screens really look sharp, and add a nice touch.

Keep up the great work Sir!

Regards,

Steve

Sorta running out of stuff to do while waiting on the drivetrain. I did wire up the tail lights for weather-pac connectors and tested the lights. Also mocked up the fuel filler install.

IMG_1695.JPGIMG_1696.JPGIMG_1697.JPG

I have not worked much on the GTM as of late. I had some work to do on a customer MK4 and get my MK4 ready for some car shows. I did pick up my long block from being rebuilt by Rollins Speed shop last Friday. Besides going thru the whole thing I had upgraded the entire valve train and heads were ported. I hope to start assembling it Monday. I also ordered more louvers from VRaptor Speed-works. They look like they will be a lot better than the kit ones IMO. Here is some pics.

IMG_1701.JPGIMG_1702.JPGIMG_1704.JPG

Today i started putting stuff back on the engine. I have to go get a tensioner pulley for the A/C yet. I installed the VRaptor tension kit and Alt idler kit. Though it is looking like a LS1, LOL.

IMG_1705.JPGIMG_1706.JPGIMG_1707.JPGIMG_1708.JPG

I won't be posting for about a week. A good friend of mine is having a real tough time in his life and I am going up to visit with him for a few days to help him out. See you all when I get back. TW
    Last edited by wallace18; 05-09-2017 at 02:48 PM.

I am back at it today. I installed the engine, hooked up the A/C hoses, coolant hoses and started on the engine wiring harness. Coming along nicely.

IMG_1709.JPGIMG_1711.JPGIMG_1712.JPGIMG_1713.JPGIMG_1714.JPG

Last 2 days I only had mornings to work on the GTM. I notched the frame where the A/C compressor electric connector is. I can see how the motor may rock enough to break this off. I notched the frame and welded in a plate. Plenty of room now. I then mocked up the engine cover brackets. I ended up using 1/4" spacers to get the correct height so nothing hits. Cover looks way better than the intake and coils, IMO. I also ran my engine wiring in the rear area. I mounted the ECU and Tac module down in this area and then the PSI harness fuse panel in the top. I will make a plate to seal off the rest of the open space.

IMG_1715.JPGIMG_1717.JPGIMG_1719.JPGIMG_1720.JPGIMG_1721.JPG

Tom thanks for giving us another great build to watch.

Got a lot done today. First I cut out the front louver area for the oversized units from VRaptor. Then I wired up the final A/C wiring to the trinary switch and compressor clutch. Also wired up the cruise control, engine ECU and PSI stand alone harness. So much neater than using the Vette harness, IMO. I made some covers for the rear fuse box area and where I mounted the ECU and Tac module. I need to engine turn them next. I also had to just temporarily hook up the cold air tubes to see how they fit over the fuse box area. Looks very cool. IMO.

IMG_1722.JPGIMG_1723.JPGIMG_1724.JPGIMG_1727.JPGIMG_1728.JPGIMG_1726.JPG

Not much to report on. I have been working on the wiring. I have 95% of the engine harness wired and installed 2 fan relays and wired the 2 radiator fans up. Nothing to really take photos of. Hoping to get a word on my transaxle stuff by 5/31/17.

Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Not much to report on. I have been working on the wiring. I have 95% of the engine harness wired and installed 2 fan relays and wired the 2 radiator fans up. Nothing to really take photos of. Hoping to get a word on my transaxle stuff by 5/31/17.
    Thanks for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by adubbelde View Post
    Thanks for nothing

OK, shame me into posting some pics, LOL.

Here is the fan relays and I did mount the fuel tanks. I had to replace the passenger side fuel pump/sender unit. The donor one had a bad wiper on the level sender. I plumbed the fuel lines to the filter and fuel rail. I insulated the tank area for rubbing. Still have to install the line between the tanks on the bottom and make a vent system to a charcoal canister.

IMG_1733.JPGIMG_1729.JPGIMG_1730.JPGIMG_1731.JPGIMG_1732.JPG

This forum really needs a "like " button

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12