Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wallace18's GTM build Thread

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wallace18's GTM build Thread

Well it is official, I now own a GTM kit and 2002 Corvette donor parts and G96 transaxle. I bought this all from Wrobert who originally ordered the kit in Jan. 2016 but has had a change in plans. The donor stuff is at his home and storage shed in Roanoke, VA. The kit is still at FFR. My plan is to pickup the donor stuff on Feb. 4th and the kit on Feb. 6th. This will allow me to finish up a customer MK4 and get close to finish up a 818E for another customer. I will not start work on the GTM till all my customer cars are done. I am super excited about this build. I dreamed of building one of these for 3 years now. I have been fortunate to build 3-818S's, 2- MK4's, a Type 65 and a 33 Hot Rod so far. This will complete my portfolio so to speak on FFR kits, LOL. I relize this is going to be more complex, but I feel up to the task. My plans are to do a completely new drivetrain and a E-Rod engine so the car will be 50 state legal as far as emissions. I will use some of the stuff off of the LS1 but will sell what I don't use later down the road. Once I get the copy of the build sheet I will post what comes with the kit from FFR. I still have to send a check to FFR to pay off what is still owed on the kit and then all will be ready for me on Feb. 6th. Somehow I always end up at FFR in Jan. or Feb. I am sure I will miss my warm Florida weather. Wish me luck! LOL.

Tech Support, FFR Courtnie Provencher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Excited to see you again though!
    Courtnie Provencher
    Factory Five Tech Sales & Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Well it is official, I now own a GTM kit and 2002 Corvette donor parts and G96 transaxle. I bought this all from Wrobert who originally ordered the kit in Jan. 2016 but has had a change in plans. The donor stuff is at his home and storage shed in Roanoke, VA. The kit is still at FFR. My plan is to pickup the donor stuff on Feb. 4th and the kit on Feb. 6th. This will allow me to finish up a customer MK4 and get close to finish up a 818E for another customer. I will not start work on the GTM till all my customer cars are done. I am super excited about this build. I dreamed of building one of these for 3 years now. I have been fortunate to build 3-818S's, 2- MK4's, a Type 65 and a 33 Hot Rod so far. This will complete my portfolio so to speak on FFR kits, LOL. I relize this is going to be more complex, but I feel up to the task. My plans are to do a completely new drivetrain and a E-Rod engine so the car will be 50 state legal as far as emissions. I will use some of the stuff off of the LS1 but will sell what I don't use later down the road. Once I get the copy of the build sheet I will post what comes with the kit from FFR. I still have to send a check to FFR to pay off what is still owed on the kit and then all will be ready for me on Feb. 6th. Somehow I always end up at FFR in Jan. or Feb. I am sure I will miss my warm Florida weather. Wish me luck! LOL.
    Wow! It will be interesting to see a GTM built from the start. I'm sure you will do a great job as I have seen your other build threads. Good Luck! Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cant wait to see it in person I bought the Manuel 6 year ago but no car yet congrat tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a copy of the build sheet from Dan at FFR yesterday.

GTM-GEN II
    F14 Titanium 18" wheels
    Heat/AC-GTM
    GTM Cold air intake
    GTM roof scoop
    GTM Telescoping column kit
    GTM Adjustable rod end kit
    GTM seat delete. - Lucky for me I have a set of GTM seats we did not use in the 818E build I am doing. God was looking out for me here. Too much of a coincidence!

Post Thanks / Like
    After doing a bunch of research over the last few days I have changed my mind about going with the E-Rod LS3 motor. I have no experience with the LS engines. I have a ton with GEN 1 SBC and SBF. After a bunch of reading and talking with guys who have a lot of experience with these LS engines I am going to use the LS1 from the 2002 donor Vette and do a cam, spring swap and buy a PSI wiring harness for the LS1. I can get an easy 400HP this way and use most of what I have and keep my cost way down vs the LS3. I feel 400HP is plenty and since the donor only had 77K on it it has plenty of life left in it. I will be buying some stuff from the FFR Vendor VRaptor SpeedWorks. Thanks to all that helped me out with the E-rod LS3 info. Maybe go that route down the road with a customer build in the future.

Had a great time talking to Rollin's Automotive in Gainesville, FL. today 1/3/17. They are a local speed shop I buy speed parts from time to time. They do a ton of drag race engines and have a lot of LS experience. For a very reasonable fee they will totally go through my LS1 and make it better than new and produce well over 400HP. By the time i buy the special tools and parts I thought I may need they can do my motor work while I stay busy on the kit. They have a great reputation in the area so I feel comfortable doing this deal. I will still save a ton of money vs the E-Rod LS3. They are excited about being part of a GTM build as it has been on their radar for a few years. Who knows maybe they will buy a GTM kit down the road?
    Last edited by wallace18; 01-04-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the new GTM. I am looking forward, as always, to your build thread. Your work is fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like
    Monitoring!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am all packed and fueled up for my GTM outing. Customer cars are all done. I plan on leaving around 12AM 2/4/17. Should be in Roanoke VA around noon to get the Corvette donor parts from Robert. I will spend the night somewhere North of there. Then I am off to my brother Curt in State College PA. Watch the Super bowl and spend his Birthday with him for the first time in 35 years. Monday i hope to be at FFR around 2PM and pick up my kit and have the ECM reflashed. Then head back home Tuesday morning. Weather outlook is kind of up in the air but I hope it will be OK. I am really excited to get going on this build. This has been a dream of mine to build a GTM for the last 3 years.

IMG_1489.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

Safe travels, and good luck getting everything you need! I am excited to watch this build come together.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    As in all my builds I try to buy some stuff from the FFR forum Vendors. I bought the following from Vraptorsspeedworks. http://vraptorspeedworks.com
    Shane is wonderful to deal with.

Louvered belly pan center narrow panel
    NACA belly pan small trapezoid assembled
    Gen II front grill
    GTM aluminum front splitter
    LS Serpentine belt tensioner complete kit
    Cable shifter mounting bracket
    Fuel tank cross over kit for 2002 Vette donor tanks
    Center console trim plate
    A/C blower relocate plenum
    Cam Bolt washers
    Weld in tie down brackets
    Aluminum GTM engine cover.

Unfortunately Raceline could not get any parts I ordered to me for personal reasons of the owner.

I am going to go with a G50/20 993 C2 transaxle and all the needed parts from Vertex Automotive in Miami.

From PSI I bought a stand alone LS1 harness modified for reverse intake with A/C and cruise control additions.
    https://www.psiconversion.com/products/

I think I have a good start on parts. I like to have as much in hand when I start a build. I really am stoked on building this car!
    Last edited by wallace18; 06-01-2017 at 05:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Made it to Roanoke Ok and picked up Corvette donor parts from Robert. Very nice young man. Made it to Staunton VA and staying overnight. Should make it to Penn State by noon. Very tired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck Tom I'll be watching

Post Thanks / Like
    Made it to Penn State yesterday about noon. Took my brother Curt out for his 67th birthday. Left 4:00 AM this morning and got to FFR about 2:30 PM. Loaded up kit and met with Sally,Nate,Dave, Tony and lots of the guys at FFR. Always a great visit feels like family. Saw snow on way up. Everything but engine, transaxle and fuel tanks fit in trailer. The prior in my pickup bed. Leaving at 4:00AM back to PSU for B-Ball game with Curt. Then to home on Wednesday morning early. I averaged 16.8 MPG. Not bad for a 3.0L diesel 1500 P/U, lol.

gtm 001.JPGgtm 002.JPGgtm 003.JPGgtm 004.JPGgtm 005.JPGgtm 006.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    congrats! Excited to watch this build as the GTM is how I originally found FFR.
    Factory Five 818c #456

Post Thanks / Like
    Made it to Penn State safe. I had to leave at 1:30 AM on Tuesday to beat the ice storm out of Wareham, MA. Watched Penn State beat Maryland in a great B-Ball game with my brother Curt. Left this morning at 4:00AM and made it home safe by 9:15 PM. 2970 miles later, LOL. Will unload and start inventory tomorrow. Also will load up my customers 818E for when I get my inspection date to title it. I somehow stay very busy, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I unloaded my truck and trailer. Yes, I can do it all by myself, LOL. I jack up the chassis and install a dolly under it and roll it out onto my lift. Plastic bins are donor parts and cardboard boxes are FFR parts. I started on making my GTM body buck instead of inventory. Here is some pics.

IMG_1496.JPGIMG_1497.JPGIMG_1498.JPGIMG_1499.JPGIMG_1499.JPGIMG_1500.JPGIMG_1501.JPGIMG_1504.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 02-27-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up the body buck and had my Hot Rod friends come over to put body on buck. I had to rearrange the whole barn some but now everything is in its place and I can start inventory soon.

IMG_1506.JPGIMG_1507.JPGIMG_1508.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up inventory of all the FFR parts boxes this morning. 32 parts missing and 1 damaged. About par for the course. I know they will make good on all of it. I now have to inventory the donor parts. I did not have time to do a thorough check when loading them up. Hopefully I will be OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

Everything looks great! I am really looking forward to following along.

I hope all the donor parts exceed your expectations, and things go smoothly.

I like the body buck you made. That should serve you well. The GTM body is seriously sexy, and I know it will look awesome!

Good luck getting things started!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Did a basic donor inventory. 98% of the stuff is here. A few missing bolts and nuts but the main stuff is all here. Thanks Robert for doing a good job on the donor stuff. I took off all the aluminum after taking a bunch of pictures. I wish FFR did and exploded view of all the aluminum panels like they do in other manuals. I coated and installed the splash shields that need to go on before suspension install. Unfortunately the new poly bushings in the control arms have the wrong metal sleeves in them. My cam bolts are 13.8 mm did. the holes are 16.8mm. I ordered the correct stuff today, should be here Friday afternoon. I will stay busy on other stuff. Plenty to do for sure, LOL.

IMG_1531.JPGIMG_1532.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Due to some missing parts I am having to jump around a bit. Today I focused on powder coating some bare metal parts as well as mocking up under car panels. I always try to make any panels that are mirror images alike as far as the holes. I lay them out on a scrap plywood and drill through both at the same time. This way the are symmetric to each other. Coated some panels as well.

IMG_1533.JPGIMG_1534.JPGIMG_1535.JPGIMG_1536.JPGIMG_1537.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the last couple days I was able to mock up and coat some more aluminum panels as well as install some driver and passenger foot box panels. The correct suspension bushings came in and I was able to mount most of the front and rear suspension, rotors, pads and calipers. Waiting on springs from FFR. Still making some good progress. I just ordered some rear tie rods. I must have lost the donor ones somehow. E-Bay to the rescue, LOL.

IMG_1542.JPGIMG_1543.JPGIMG_1544.JPGIMG_1545.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Last few days I went and did all the prep work on the donor parts. I got some good used rear tie rods and fixed them up and installed. I made my own rack bushings, tired of waiting on FFR. I also installed my electric P/S. It is a Saturn Vue unit I got for 35 bucks. The adapter electric kit from E-Bay was 60 bucks. I fabbed up the mounts and shafts. Works really well and so much less expensive, IMO. Thanks to Andy for the help.

IMG_1550.JPGIMG_1551.JPGIMG_1552.JPGIMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPGIMG_1555.JPGIMG_1556.JPGIMG_1557.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    My pleasure meeting you and giving the kit a good home

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I finished up the steering column. Very cool! I also installed the pedals and master cylinders. I engine turned the 2 engine covers that go in before installing the motor. I hope to have the engine and transaxle all done by the end of March.

IMG_1558.JPGIMG_1560.JPGIMG_1561.JPGIMG_1562.JPGIMG_1563.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Last couple days I ran all the brake lines and installed stainless flex lines. Today I mocked up the A/C evaparator install and I am using the VRaptor recirc. modification. I like to use the interior air and not hot outside air to cool the cockpit off. Also installed the battery and radiator. I used rubber studs on top. I do not like riveting the aluminum radiator to the steel frame. Seen too many crack that way, IMO. FFR is sending some parts, should get here Tuesday, Yea! Moving along best I can.

IMG_1571.JPGIMG_1569.JPGIMG_1570.JPGIMG_1566.JPGIMG_1564.JPGIMG_1565.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-16-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coated a few panels yesterday and I installed the rest of the passenger foot box stuff. I really like the blower fan inside the car vs outside. Here is a few pics.

IMG_1572.JPGIMG_1573.JPGIMG_1574.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a Fed Ex box from FFR yesterday. All my missing parts came in. Thank you FFR for being so quick to make it right. Special thanks to Dan and Jay.

Post Thanks / Like
    After checking in all my parts I had to install all the springs and I also installed most of the A/C lines up front. I had to make the accumulator clamp, I could not locate the one from the vette. I am really enjoying this build so far.

IMG_1575.JPGIMG_1576.JPGIMG_1577.JPGIMG_1578.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, you are moving along at a pretty fast clip Tom, the way I figure it, you should be driving it before Easter!
    Keep up the good work.

Nevin
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been busy the last 2 days but looking at the car it does not look like it, LOL. I did finish up all the cooling lines, heater hoses, heater valve and A/C lines up front. I hooked up the wiring temporalily to the A/C system and checked for function. All works just as it should. I sealed up any air leaks from the A/C system, used a lot of caulk. I hooked up the Painless fuse panel and made my own ECM mount. I am not using the donor wiring. I am using a PSI stand alone engine harness and the painless wiring. I think this will make a much neater system, IMO. I also installed the brake switch and made a bracket for the extra column bearing. Should stay busy with the wiring for a few days. Engine and Transaxle should be here by end of the month. So far so good, LOL.

IMG_1586.JPGIMG_1587.JPGIMG_1588.JPGIMG_1592.JPGIMG_1590.JPGIMG_1591.JPGIMG_1593.JPGIMG_1589.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-07-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    looks great, I am enjoying watching your progress. I wish I had your time as well, I am not nearly as far along in my build. keep the progress and pics coming.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Took the day off yesterday and took Marsha to dinner and a movie. The Shack is really worth seeing IMO. Today my tires came in so I had them mounted and balanced. Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. Look good on the car, IMO. Started wiring some. Installed new Brake light switch. Donor one was bad. Pulled my hair out for awhile trying to stop the rear calipers from leaking. Turns out they were on the wrong side and the bleeder screws were accidentally installed in the wrong holes. Finally got all that straight and my lovely wife, Marsha helped bleed the brakes. All is good now. I have a big car show this weekend here in Gainesville so I will take a few days off the GTM.

IMG_1594.JPGIMG_1595.JPGIMG_1596.JPGIMG_1597.JPGIMG_1599.JPGIMG_1600.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are some big shoes! Looking good. Thanks for the updates.
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Been doing mostly wiring as of late. I have all the lights, turn-signals, wipers, hazards, washer motor, ignition switch and fog lights wired up and working. I varied from the manual on the wiring some. The manual had the fog and hazard switches LED lighted all the time even with the key off. Also it had the wipers powered up all the time. I think the Painless harness supplied now is different than the one in the manual. I also wired up a relay for the fog lights vs straight from the switch. I installed the e-brake handles and cables. Not sure where you mount the cables where all 3 are together? Here is some pics but wiring is roughed on right now. So do not freak out about the spaghetti, LOL.

IMG_1606.JPGIMG_1607.JPGIMG_1608.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a few days off. Did some more wiring. Today I mocked up the front grille, rear diffuser louvers, welded in front and rear hold down plates for when I tie it down in the trailer and some interior aluminum.

IMG_1614.JPGIMG_1615.JPGIMG_1617.JPGIMG_1618.JPGIMG_1620.JPGIMG_1621.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the last 2 days I finished up mocking up some interior aluminum, coated the inside of all of them with Lizard skin sound deadener and ceramic heat shield. I also removed the electric P/S ECU from the motor and mounted it inside out of the elements.

IMG_1629.JPGIMG_1631.JPGIMG_1630.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was refinish the exhaust manifolds day. I stripped them down and tapped the AIR hole and installed threaded plugs. Then I used my blast cabinet and finished up with high temp silver paint. I was able to get studs from McMaster-Carr about 1/6th the price of GM studs for the donut end of the manifolds.

IMG_1637.JPGIMG_1638.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    anything with Corvette name tied to it raises the price by many fold. If you know what you need, GM uses the same piece for much lower price. Needed a master cylinder for my 1972 Corvette, $75. Same for 1972 truck $20. Enjoy following your build, Thanks! Keep the good work and posts.
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast