Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Alignment Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like

The Alignment Thread

Seeing some more discussion of alignment lately. Thought I would create a thread to centralize alignment discussion. It would be great to see what people are running, how they are using the car, and what adjustments they have made to correct issues.

Base information that should be included:
    • Car Purpose (IE: Street only, mostly street and some autoX, mostly street and some road racing, autoX only, road racing only, etc)
    • Front Toe
    • Rear Toe
    • Front Camber
    • Rear Camber
    • Front Caster
    • Any modifications you had to in order to achieve your end result
    • Other comments, observations, changes that made an improvement

I will start:
    - 80% street driving with 20% HPDE track days. No AutoX
    - 3/16" total front toe in
    - 1/4" total rear toe in
    - Negative 0.85 degree front camber (couldn't get any more)
    - Negative 0.75 degree rear camber
    - ~3 degrees caster (couldn't get any more)

The car is a little "nervous" on the street and does veer a bit over some bumps. It isn't bad or anywhere near bad enough to be dangerous but ultimately I would like to sort it out if possible. Haven't had a chance to go around any corners yet. I believe I need to cut down the threads and tube nuts for my upper A-arms to get more caster and camber in the front if I need it. I got the above specifications from a post Wayne made some time ago (though he did specify a full 1 degree of negative camber in front which I couldn't obtain).

Post Thanks / Like
    - 99% track, road racing. No AutoX
    - 2mm total front toe in
    - 2mm total rear toe in
    - Negative 1.8 degree front camber (wanting more)
    - Negative 2.5 degree rear camber
    - 6 degrees positive caster (used 10mm spacers between LCA and LCA frame mount - hurricane bushing)
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 07-06-2016 at 03:21 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, why more camber at the rear?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    100% track use baseline settings (30 miles on track as a go kart as shake down)
    -2* front camber (so far that is all I can get from the right side, 2.25 can be had on the left. I did shorten up the studs on the upper control arms to allow for more ajustment.
    +6* caster
    1/8 total toe in
    Rear
    -2.5 camber
    3/16 toe in
    3.5" ride height front
    3.75" ride height rear
    Did spend a fair amount of time to minimize bumpsteer.
    I did lip the stud on the lower control arm to gain some caster and camber adjustment. I have also made up some 1/8" spacers that can be added for additional front camber and caster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Primary street use, possible autocross

Front 1/16 toe in total, -1 camber both sides caster 4 degrees both sides

rear 1/8 total toe in, -1 camber both sides

verrry finicky to get all the measurements exact and equal for both sides, took several hrs. w/o a friend with access to an alignment machine

ride height 4 1/2 all corners

it's a bit nervous (stole the term, fits the feeling well ;-) upon application of power, I need to get used to it
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff, thanks folks.

Anyone here have any suggestions for alignment tools they want to share?

When I did mine, I did the string method for toe and to ensure the car was square. My garage floor was made in the 70's and isn't very flat, or smooth, so I used a cheap hardware store laser level that projects a cross line beam, and used the horizontal line to stack some cement pavers and tiles until I had a completely horizontal/level surface for all four tires. I lowered the car down onto them. I used a digital angle gauge to check caster and camber. Tape measure on the string to check toe. When turning the wheels right and left 40 degrees for the caster check, I made a "grease sandwich" of two pieces of plexiglass with grease between them and put them under the front tires. I used a protractor to check for 40 degrees of turn. In the future, I'd kind of like to have some turn plates but the cheapest ones that seem "ok" quality are still a couple hundred bucks and I doubt I will check or adjust caster very often so I may stick with the grease method for now.

Another question: Where are you measuring toe from? Front of the rim of the wheel? Somewhere on the sidewall? Somewhere near the front of the tire by the tread? I spent a long time researching that and there appears to be no consensus anywhere that I could find, so I measured mine towards the front of the tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Tony, why more camber at the rear?
    because I can and can't in front, so I need more in front, for now until I fix that I will have more in rear
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Good stuff, thanks folks.

Anyone here have any suggestions for alignment tools they want to share?

When I did mine, I did the string method for toe and to ensure the car was square. My garage floor was made in the 70's and isn't very flat, or smooth, so I used a cheap hardware store laser level that projects a cross line beam, and used the horizontal line to stack some cement pavers and tiles until I had a completely horizontal/level surface for all four tires. I lowered the car down onto them. I used a digital angle gauge to check caster and camber. Tape measure on the string to check toe. When turning the wheels right and left 40 degrees for the caster check, I made a "grease sandwich" of two pieces of plexiglass with grease between them and put them under the front tires. I used a protractor to check for 40 degrees of turn. In the future, I'd kind of like to have some turn plates but the cheapest ones that seem "ok" quality are still a couple hundred bucks and I doubt I will check or adjust caster very often so I may stick with the grease method for now.

Another question: Where are you measuring toe from? Front of the rim of the wheel? Somewhere on the sidewall? Somewhere near the front of the tire by the tread? I spent a long time researching that and there appears to be no consensus anywhere that I could find, so I measured mine towards the front of the tire.
    So I used a jig that the center dive folks use, and it is centered on my frame at the front and rear, has a line down each side where I measure toe in/out (I pick a spot on the front and rear of the rim so it is the same on each side and look for the difference for toe in or out). then I use Longacre caster/camber gauge and a set of turn plates, and scales to do the corner weights
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Just did my first track day with my 818S. Overall, I am pleased with the handling. However, the car is exhibiting more understeer than I want. Camber and Caster are pretty aggressive (Front - Camber - 2 Degrees neg., Caster 4 degrees pos. Rear - Camber 1.6 Degrees neg.) I am thinking of disconnecting the front sway bar (Subie 17 mm.) to make the turn in more neutral. Anybody with experience on this mod.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sway bars effectively transfer more of the vehicle load to the end of the car the bar is on. So a front bar puts more load on the front tires which can cause them to overload before the rear. So yes, removing the front bar would help understeer. Adding a rear swaybar would help too, as would getting stiffer rear springs. Removing the front bar would be a great start though.

Post Thanks / Like
    My car currently has the FFR 350 lb. springs in front and 400 lb. springs rear. Anyone know of a rear sway bar fitment for the 818?

Post Thanks / Like
    Front- ride height=3.5"
    Camber= 3 degrees
    Caster= 4.5 degrees
    Toe= 1/16th in

rear- ride height=3.75"
    Camber= 2.5 degrees
    Toe= 1/16th in

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    Front- ride height=3.5"
    Camber= 3 degrees
    Caster= 4.5 degrees
    Toe= 1/16th in

rear- ride height=3.75"
    Camber= 2.5 degrees
    Toe= 1/16th in
    Nice, you must have done something to get the -3 camber ? Also what spring rates you using ?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    This request is directed to all who are posting their alignment specs here, not to anyone in specific.

It would also be good to know if you made any special modifications or used different parts in order to achieve the alignment specs that you have.

Now that we see what you got, we'd like to know how you got it.

Thanks

Skip

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not much needs to be done in the rear.

For the front, the most common mods are:
    1. Increase caster by flipping the bracket on the rear of the lower control arm (hurricane bushing), or adding an aluminum spacers between the bracket and the lower control arm. I have seen people run spacers of 1cm. On mine, I just flipped the lower bracket. I was able to get to about 3 degrees of caster before running out of upper control arm adjustment.
    2. Cut the nuts and threaded studs on the upper control arms to allow you to move them in for more caster and camber.
    3. Bump steer (either spacing the tie rod end away from the spindle or moving the rack - the former being more common).

Post Thanks / Like
    Whiteline Front Control arm ANTI LIFT CASTER KIT RACE Impreza WRX STI 01-07 (put the left on the right, right on the left, shim until the arm moves freely up and down (we made solid alum ones but they are in the kit)
    Cut the top nuts and threads on the upper control arm.
    Made a bump steer kit out of 5/8" heim joints and a bump steer kit for a pinto. (see pic) Had to drill and tap our own alum connector, but easy peezy
    IMG_0593.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    tom were did you do your track day

Post Thanks / Like
    SCCA Track Night in America - Thompson, Ct.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just reading through Chad Plaven's thread again (there's a lot of good R&D in there!). He notes how dialed in his suspension was, lots of camber and toe out in the front. All the setups listed here, and everywhere else I recall seeing them have been toe in for both front and rear. Chad's car was posting some really good times, so are we missing something? Would the toe out only suit a track car on slicks?
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Just AX for now

Front camber - -3.5
    Front Caster - 6.9
    Front Toe - 0.02

Rear Camber - -2.5
    Rear Toe - 0.03
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    I was just reading through Chad Plaven's thread again (there's a lot of good R&D in there!). He notes how dialed in his suspension was, lots of camber and toe out in the front. All the setups listed here, and everywhere else I recall seeing them have been toe in for both front and rear. Chad's car was posting some really good times, so are we missing something? Would the toe out only suit a track car on slicks?
    A few of us have tried toe out, not the norm, we have gone to some really high caster and toe in, car seems pretty stable and responsive
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    My starting baseline is: (818R track only)
    -2.7* Front Camber
    +6* Caster
    .062 total toe in
    3.5 Front ride height
    Rear
    -2.5 Camber
    .187 total toe in rear
    3.75 rear ride height
    Car will be on track next week.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    How are you guys getting 6+ degrees of caster?

Post Thanks / Like
    I added a spacer
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I just flipped the stud and slotted the top hole for additional camber which allowed me to adjust camber out and add caster.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh, both good strategies thank you. Tony, how thick of a spacer did you add? 1cm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh, both good strategies thank you. Tony, how thick of a spacer did you add? 1cm?
    10 mm spacer between the LCA and frame (where the 2 bolts go through, same place you flip the mount), the other which Mitch may have done is to slot the upper hole in the spindle adapter bracket as this will allow you to move in/out from the upper ball joint
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 09-01-2016 at 05:28 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tony - I want to be sure I understand though. I thought the spacer was supposed to go between the control arm and the hurricane bracket, not between the bracket and the frame. The latter would move the rear of the control arm UP, while the former would move the rear of the control arm toward the outside of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tony - I want to be sure I understand though. I thought the spacer was supposed to go between the control arm and the hurricane bracket, not between the bracket and the frame. The latter would move the rear of the control arm UP, while the former would move the rear of the control arm toward the outside of the car.
    Yes my mistake you are right, getting old here and can't remember much these days, so this did push the wheel forward as a side effect
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, I hear you about getting old. Thanks for the clarification. I am confident now that I'll be able to get to 6 degrees of caster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct Tony, I flipped the stud, shortened the UCA studs and slotted the top hole one the FFR spindle mount for camber. installed the spindle with the camber maxed out. Then adjusted the camber to the desired setting using the front adjuster on the UCA which add caster.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 09-02-2016 at 08:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking that everyone is referring to the aluminum lower control arm right? The steel one cannot be shimmed? Also, anybody have a picture of the slotted UCA. I am having trouble imagining what can be done to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cut up the UCAs as well as using the wagon hole in front and the sedan holes in back.
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    Also, anybody have a picture of the slotted UCA. I am having trouble imagining what can be done to it.
    The slot is referencing the spindle and spindle bracket, not the upper control arm.

For the upper control arm, you cut the rear tube nut down in length, as well as the studs that go into it so you can shorten it more to get both camber and caster.

The spindle slot is referring to the FFR spindle bracket that attached to the top of the WRX spindle. You can use the OE eccentric bolt in there (apparently if you drill out one or both sides of the bracket) which allows you to dial in some camber at the spindle+bracket without having to do it from the upper control arm, because adding camber via the upper control arm has the side effect of reducing caster - and we want as much caster as possible.

I'm going to post a video of the spindle eccentric bolt usage sometime this weekend if I have time to mess with it. I can only see it working properly if one side of the spindle bracket has a hole that is small enough to only let the threaded portion of the eccentric bolt through. Any larger and you would still be able to adjust camber there, but you'd have nothing but the pinch force of the bolt holding your camber in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone is still reading this discussion i have a question on getting more caster. Someone mentioned adding a shim to the rear end of the lower control arm i think to move it out somewhat. Does this affect the lower ball joint by moving it forward?FrtRad1.JPG
    I tried to attach a picture but dont thing it worked.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    The alum lower control arm is in lower left of pic. The black piece bolts to it and pivots in the bushing. is this where a shim can be put?
    Dave

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave,

The black piece the bolts to the lower control arm is where you can put the shim (between the black piece and the control arm). Yes this moves the lower ball joint (and hub and spindle) forward.

Having said all that, you don't really need to use the shim. You can flip that black piece over 180 degrees and bolt it back onto the control arm and that will give you some extra caster. If you do that, make sure you rotate the hurricane bracket (what that BIG rear bushing is surrounded by) 180 degrees as well or it will be upside down. Between doing this, and using the upper a-arm adjustments, you can get to around 5 degrees of caster and as much camber as you want. Getting more than -1 camber may require you to slot the upper spindle bolt hole in the spindle bracket though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. After I built the car and got it registered I got an alignment. Camber was at -.7 and caster 3.2
    When I come out of a turn I have to pull the steering wheel back to center.
    Since then I realized I had the steering rack in incorrectly. I had the C shaped piece on passenger side wrong so that side was higher than drivers side. Fixed that. Also had Front upper A arm pivot piece in with grease fitting up. Fixed that.
    Now I have to get 5 or more caster and fix the bump steer issues.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Another question. My lower control arm hurricane bracket is bolted to the frame using the inner set of holes. I have a WRX donor. If I move that bracket to the outer wagon holes does that move it too far out? How far does moving to outer holes move it? How far does flipping hurricane bracket move it?
    Dave

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same steering wheel centering issue with 3 degrees caster as well. It's really dangerous because if you end up in an oversteer situation, you get no feedback from the steering wheel to help you correct and counter-correct. Between getting ~5 degrees caster, and fixing/adjusting the front and rear bump-steer, it totally transformed the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast