Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Advise for alum FFR console with VCP shifter

Post Thanks / Like

Advise for alum FFR console with VCP shifter

I do not find the fit of the FFR console to be very good. It is wider than tunnel aluminum(sloppy fit) and the large pass side piece intrudes into pass footroom for no
    apparent reason. It was designed for FFR shifter but has anyone used with VCP shifter without mods. Trying to decide if I should cut and straighten pass side piece
    or just start over. A search shows others also had trouble and that Mike Everson had made a custom console but can not find his build thread.
    Comments??
    Thanks

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used an MR2 shifter and I didn't use any of the FFR-provided console pieces. I wanted to be able to mount the shifter in a location that was comfortable for me,and the FFR console just didn't fit well enough for my liking. It also ate into the foot well more than needed. I just started from scratch and made my own console. Pics in my build thread. Nothing special, just bought some aluminum sheet on eBay, cut it with a table saw (and in some cases, a cordless jigsaw).

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make a custom one Frank. That is what I did both times I used the VCP shifter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Custom one it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, now you've discovered the most fun part of building: your creative mods make it "yours".
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    When you make your own custom pieces how do you put a 90 degree bend into small pieces ? Everything I tried looked sloppy. All I had was the big body clamps and pieces of wood.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what my slightly modified FFR stock console looks like with a K-tuned (FFR) shifter.

IMG_8565.JPG

I cut a small rectangular slot for a piece of my shifter to slot through, but this was due to bad planning when I mounted the shifter.....it could have been offset to the driver side enough to not need the slot, but I had already mounted it so...rug will cover it! It wasnt that hard to modify to fit, really only had to trim the cutout for the shifter to pass through. Not sure what I will do for a boot yet, might leave naked. I also bent out the driver side panel and widened the face plate accordingly. Could have left it straight, just preferred it bent to accommodate my heater assembly. You can also see where I pinched the ends inwards just aft of the shifter....this is to clear my seats, which hang over the edge of the console a little bit.

Good luck with whatever you do, just share some pictures!
    Last edited by ben1272; 05-08-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    To make 90 degree bends I have a heavy metal table top that has a pretty sharp edge....I hang the sheet over and use a dead blow hammer to work along its length, back and forth, until it is where I want it. Need to do this very incrementally or you can leave hammer blow marks behind.....of course in many places you wouldnt see the hammer blows anyways, but it can be done without leaving marks. I think the plastic dead blow hammer helps in this regard (cheap, from Harbor Freight - orange color).

I think a piece of hard oak board would do the job as well....might even chamfer the edge of it so the sheet bends with more of a radius....less likely to crack later.